Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DB Space Combat Sim

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 19:51
I'm writing a DB space combat sim with my team, and I am posting this message just as a place for people to give suggestions. The game is going to be a standard military type sim, as opposed to a ELITE clone, because there are already plenty of ELITE clones out there. It will be plot based and will have either animated character interaction cutscenes or text-based ones. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what they'd like to see in a space combat game.
By the way, we're just a few people working on a game, and we won't be able to make the most advanced game of all time. So try to stay realistic with your suggestions. Thanks.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 23:56
That's a good idea... not enough big, but not too big games in DBP (most people either go for a nice puzzle game and do it, or a vast game and fail).

Erm, could you please describe a bit more? I don't know much about the 'standard' of that type and have... hehe... never played Elite which everyone talks about. Thanks

--Mouse
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 00:14
Ya know personally i think there arn't that many of either elite or military style - however i do think there are to dang many arcade versions!!

Earth&Beyond is a quality new Elite Clone
ya know other than that one i don't know any that have even come close to Elite/Elite2 in management or just sheer fun.
Would really love to see a TRUE elite clone whilst we wait for Elite4 "Depths of Conflict" - as E4 has been in development for almost 5years i think we REALLY have alot of time to waste

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
SpaceInvader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 00:43
What I mean by 'standard military type' is where you play a military pilot who flies around fighting enemies and completing mission objectives. Like X-Wing or Wing Commander, basically.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 00:57
i hated the wing commander series... however the xwing series is/was outstanding
<<-- Damn proud owner of the entitre series upto Alliance!!

Oh and for those unaware of elite - here the full version of EliteII http://members.lycos.co.uk/timesaga/darkbasic/elite2.zip (1.7Mb in English | French | German | Spanish)
Yes this is a full copy, however it is safe to redistribute as long as it is a complete copy. (you'll find out way after a few hours of playing)

to purchase the manual goto http://www.fontier.co.uk

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 00:59
Oh and incase anyone is running WinMe... contact me on howto run this as you need to boot the system in a specific way

SpaceInvader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 16:25
About Elite 2, I downloaded it. I'd already played Elite 1, but this one is even better. But how do you control your ship? Is it possible to use the joystick?
Anyway, another thing about the game I'm making: do you think it is possible to make a game with a detailed plot without a lot of deta

SpaceInvader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 16:27
Sorry about the break in the post there. As I was saying:
Anyway, another thing about the game I'm making: do you think it is possible to make a game with a detailed plot without a lot of detail in the mission events? This would mean I would basically have to tell a lot of the plot through conversations.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:49:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:49:04