Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Labryx (tech demo)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 02:04
here is a tech demo of a new game that I am working on that I have been wanting to make for a very long time. Its called Labryx and the goal is to survive for as long as you can without getting cut in half by the giant saw that is chasing you. This demo is really just to show off the A.I. of the saw.

The demo you will play is of the single player mode "certain death" and the goal is to last as long as you can without dying. The main mode of the game when it is finished however will have 4 people (3 ai and 1 player) or (2 ai and 2 players) and the last person to get killed there wins.

In this demo you will just keep respawning so you can get used to the game. The saw moves slightly faster than you and gets faster and faster every 10 seconds so you need to think fast in this game. There are still a few glitches in the game since I just started it a couple of weeks ago (its only 200 lines of code). For example the saw sometimes gets stuck on a wall or goes through a wall.

HOW TO PLAY
just use the arrow keys

(note: do not push the space bar unless you are helping to tell me spots where the AI glitched the space bar saves the cordinates of your person and the saw to a file called "cordinates.txt" and ends the game)

I would appreciate feed back of what you think of it. But dont give me any suggestions on what you want added to it since I already have a good idea of where this program is going. but tell me how it should be ballanced (eg. faster moving saw, slower person, etc...)

My main goal for this game back when I first thought of the idea a couple of years ago was to make it extremely addicting and create an amazing imersive sense of fear and adrenaline. So have fun with this first demo of Labryx!

On a scale from one to ten one being very smart and ten being an absolute genius your none of the above

Attachments

Login to view attachments
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 05:25
there is a way to last forever, you move in an hour glass formation:

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 15:02
What a seriously awesome idea for a game (once you've got multiplayer going).

I love it!

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hyperbyte I thought you were some youtube video spammer guy?!?
Well still looks cool.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 17:46
Sweet. Cool how the blade got bloodier.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 19:47
Well I ran it and...

It needs timer based movement.

HyperByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 04:36
thanks guys!

I am obviously still fixing and adding to it but...

@draknir_ : yeah I know my friend today found another method to last forever which I am going to fix

@dark coder : what is the problem with it? is the saw moving too fast and going through walls?

check back for a new demo soon!

On a scale from one to ten one being very smart and ten being an absolute genius your none of the above
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 05:24
I wouldn't bother with timer based movement yet- just limit the frame rate.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 10:01
Yes on my PC the saw flies very very fast and I keep getting killed due to having rather high FPS, a very simple method to add timber based movement is to have

Then multiply all your movement values by Elapsed# that way as long as the FPS doesn't go over 1k you should be fine, and don't limit the FPS via Sync Rate, use VSync in conjunction with timer based movement as not everyone has the same refresh rate on their monitors

HyperByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 17:54
thanks for the input guys (I already know how to use the timer like that but thanks anyway)

@darkcoder - I know you said it went fast but did it still go around walls or through them because when I tested this game on a laptop before it was extremely fast and went through walls

HyperByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 01:24
Here is a newer version of Labryx!!!!!!!!!!!

the following has been added:
-smarter AI
-new area (map/stage/level) called Grid
-blood effects

the new area called 'Grid' which is a remake of an earlier tech demo I made

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HyperByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 01:59
I am currently working on adding multiplayer. Try out the newer version above and let me know what you think

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 20:29
you still need to implement those timers, game is way too fast
HyperByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 03:41
I'm currently working on the AI of the other players and I am about to change the game to run at a constant speed on all computers. So let me know whats the number one thing that you also want to see in the game

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 20:34
Reminds me of slotcars on the Amiga.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:28:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:28:09