Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Problems with Outside Level

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 10:43
well kindof an issue first of all
Computer Stats
Running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit build 6.0.6000 with DX10
AMD X2 4800 clocked at 7075mhz total.
2gb of ddr400 pc3200 ram dual channel
2x 160gb sata2 harddrives
1x PCI16x Sapphire Radeon X1900XTX 512ddr3 video card.
Sound Blaster XFI Platinum soundcard 7.1

While it is loading up the game for test and exe. I only see 30% usage on processor 2 and processor 1 idling at 7%. Also only see 350MB of ram being used.

I was working on a 512x512 outside mission level so far 9 total lights with up to 380 for light range. I added 3-4 guns with ammo and I had 9 characters/npcs that will attack and chase if provoked. Well the load time is horrid. 20mins give or take mainly on the lightmaping Here is a link to the screenshot of the rendered map.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Dreadfull/Other/testxy1.jpg

The game name is XY by the way. There are 3 levels and concrete walls blocking off the ending of the level. Both small completed buildings are 2 levels. The main wall of the main building which is supposed to be end zone but not done yet. Is 3 stories.

My friends computer simply locks up or freezes on windows xp when he trys to load this. he has 1gb ddr400/120gb ide hard drive/geforce6800 OC video card/amd sempron processor. 1.7ghz clock.

Just wondering what I am doing wrong. since I still have a lot left to add.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 17:24
Have you upgraded to 1.05 RC2 yet?

Johny English
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 17:57
Quote: "Have you upgraded to 1.05 RC2 yet?"

Where I find it?

SIXOFT - This is not just a game, this is a SIXOFT game.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 18:04
Johnny. in product chat. where you would expect.

YOur screen shot isn't very discriptive of what you are doing, try increasing the render shroud with the # key, so we can see more of what is going on. In all honesty it looks like your using the entire map editor space, without anything to devide it up=doom.

rather than supplying your system specs it would be better to provide a screeny of the diagnostic screen in test game mode. You do this by pressing TAB in test game. This'll show how many polys you have visible and how much memory is being used by the various components in your level. From that we should be able to tell you what is causing all the crazyness. Oh, just as a point, if you have full light mapping turned on, that'll be the reason. Try turning it to quick lightmapping, or none.

Peas

Butters

Man Hunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 23:15
How bout using soft lighmaps rather than full lightmaps...
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 23:45
Quote: "How bout using soft lighmaps rather than full lightmaps..."

uh
I just suggested that:
Quote: "Oh, just as a point, if you have full light mapping turned on, that'll be the reason. Try turning it to quick lightmapping, or none."

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 00:41
With those specs on your computer if you get it running it won't run on most computers. Not mine thats for sure. lol

CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 07:36 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 07:43
You know let me toss this info in.... Ive got packs 1 through 5 and when I use only the TGC packs and stock media that comes with FPSC I get many issue's when trying to build outside levels.

Yes the use of Fences do tend to help on the Frame Rate but when you get into adding doors, windows there has been a significate drop in frames when applying what I would feel is to be the minimum...

For example... If I did an outside map say with no more then 6 houses...each house no bigger then 6x6 cells no more then 3 layers high with 2 cells surrounding each house then a fence around each house I get a fantastic frame rate of 30 to 33 Frames (so each boxed "fenced" area is 10 cells by 10 cells per area "Fence is solid no the chain link fence")

Now if I added a front door and back door to each house...mind you no windows no other entities on the map strickly all segments except the doors my frame rate tends to drop to 28 to 30

Now if I wanted windows I can drop as low as 16 frames by just adding 2 windows per building

So I usually wont drop windows in and every entity from this point on I make them all static and its a hit or miss if I can keep the frame rate up to 30 frames...

Also when placing these building I use maybe half or less then half the map...

If you would like I can make a map and get some screens to show exactly what I just explained but I am sure this can be duplicated on anybody else's system...

Oh yeah I do have the latest patch 1.05rc2
pc specs 3.0 intel processor
1 gig or ram
200 gig hd space still available
geforce 5200 video card

Oh yeah and one nagging kid......j/k

If you think education cost so much you should see how expensive ignorance can cost you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:29:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:29:45