Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Cloaking device.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 14:23
I started playing around with the alphafade commands last night after having read xplosys thread here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=104617&b=24

The enemy is scripted to turn totally invisible when shot or when strafing, and semi visible when not.

Looks pretty cool, unfortunately, fraps doesn't quite capture the coolness of this, but have a look anyway.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 14:32
Dude, that looks like trippy as. Do you reackon you could do that to entities? (non characters)

big..hahaha..you said big!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 14:39
yeah, it'll work on anything.

Here's the script for characters, (aren't I nice) you could probably adjust the concept to dynamic entities, by using just a shotdamage command with a random modifier.

it's basically the chase script out of Sensei, but modified to cloak. It works best if you set the enemy speed to 200 in the properties. If you know how, I'd get rid of the blood decal on the enemy too, as when it's there its easy to track which way he moves when shot.

Tell me what you think.

Licence:

smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 14:44
Dude, I would test it, but..my computer that has FPSC on it...is..not anywere to be seen..

But if the entity didn't move, wouldn't it be semi-visible the whole time?

big..hahaha..you said big!
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 14:50
Butters

This is a very generous contribution

It looks totally awesome from the video and I can't wait to have a go with it and see it working in game.

It looks like a commercial quality effect like with those sewer creatures from resident evil 4, you could make some seriously cool enemies with this new feature but having developed it you will know that already!.

Congratulations on yet another triumph
XEROWING
Years of Service
User Offline
After watching the movie All i have to say is this.

Nice idea but its pretty useless.

The guy cloakes when he strafes,but decloakes when he fires,and seeing as he stands still when he shoots i dont see the point.also the AI responds as soon as it sees you,so he decloaks first then fires,kinda defeats the purpose of being "cloaked".

But nice idea nonetheless.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 17:22 Edited at: 20th Apr 2007 17:23
Butters,

Nicely done. Kinda' reminds me of the disappearing guys in the Matrix. Now let's see if I can get him to walk through walls!

XEROWING,

It's an effect dude. Adjust it any way you want. lol

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 17:22
A lot of cloaking devices work like that (I'm a trekkie).
You have to uncloak or the cloaking shield goes down while you are firing.
This will prove to be most useful.Thanks,Butters.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 17:37
Slick Butters. I like the effect alot.

Loc

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 17:58
Quote: "Nice idea but its pretty useless.

The guy cloakes when he strafes,but decloakes when he fires,and seeing as he stands still when he shoots i dont see the point.also the AI responds as soon as it sees you,so he decloaks first then fires,kinda defeats the purpose of being "cloaked"."

If I had wanted a clocking device that worked the whole time, i would have just used an alpha texture on the guy. The script/concept is actually for a character called the shifter. As in, he shifts about. If he takes damage, he dissapears breifly. I appreciate the crit, but the issue you are highlighting, isn't really the purpose of the script. Try and think of it as a defense mechanism than a steal mechanism.

Quote: "This is a very generous contribution"

Quote: "This will prove to be most useful.Thanks,Butters"

Quote: "Slick Butters. I like the effect alot."

No problem guys, and thanks, I'm glad you like. I wasn't really gonna give this away, but I kinda figured that as Xplosys had already touched on the possibility in that other thread, it was only a matter of time before someone else figured it out! If you want the effect to work in reverse, then just change all lines with decalphafade to incalphafade, and all values of 100, to 0 (and vica versa).

Glad you guys liked. Thanks for commenting.

MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 21:39
Thanks butters, nice to see my idea used like this, I had no idea how to. ). (soz for the smiley spam)

E.D.

EldestDragon

There is no snoop

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:37:24
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:37:24