Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Swat Character with Ballistic Shield

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 15:55
I'm really getting the hand of this animation modding thing now. I got these base animations done in like 2 hours. Admittedly there are still some horrible glitches on the reload, as MS seems to want to rotate the hands on all sorts of horrible angles, meaning the guy sticks the shield through himself!

Anyway, that aside, anyone who knows what animations done in milkshape occasionally glitch out in FPSC please get in touch. I've been through every frame of anim, and there's no glitch in MS, or fragmotion, but in game the guy always seems to want to rotate 360 degrees around his z axis every time he finishes strafing, which is odd, as I haven't altered his root bone at all.

I would dearly love to release this (and the one handed guy), but as I am using protected material I cant. Rest assured I'm getting an email off to Rick today to try and work something out. Perhaps if anyone has an installer that can check if you have a valid FPSC before installing, I would then be able to release this stuff. anyway, screenies are here, and video is attached. Please check it out and gimme feedback.

Peace and love (on this sunniest of UK days)
Butters

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jurassic park model pack
Years of Service
User Offline
nice
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, I don't know where you get the time to do all this great work! Good job! Looking forward to seeing more of this!

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 16:08 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 16:09
Excellent Is this for "contrast" or just for a mess a round?

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 16:10
Looking good, butters.

[http://www.mk83productions.com] [http://www.freewebs.com/mk83]
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 16:19
Quote: "Man, I don't know where you get the time to do all this great work! Good job! Looking forward to seeing more of this!"

Thanks man, I'm doing an A-Z of FPSC soon, so you can check out where I get the time there!

Quote: "Excellent Is this for "contrast" or just for a messa round?"

I just played through BLACK on PS2, on GOLD, and I really hate the ballistic shield guys, but I thought they were a cool addition to the game, and wanted to try it in FPSC. It is also partly a learning curve. If I can do this, I can add dual weild weapons, swords etc to the default biped. which is pretty exciting.

And yeah, it is part of contrast. The first action sequence of the game (its not shooter), is when Caspin's Coke factory gets raided by Narcs. Thought shield cops would be a cool addition.

keep em coming. I'm open to other suggestions too!

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 16:48
Cool. All i can say is maybe the sheild should have a glass hole, and be a little curved, it just looks like a piece of cardboard at the moment. But don't get me wrong, it looks brilliant, like your custom biped. Keep it up, the new graphics card must be inspiring you or something
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 17:29
I like it. The texture on the shield looks a little stretched though. and I agree with V man (can't be bothered to spell it...) that it should be curved a little.

"I admire its purity, a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality"

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 17:43 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 17:46
A curved shield would help to deflect bullets in real life. Oh and I love the shield in Counter Strike, but only when I'm using it

DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 18:23
nice job looking good

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Victor Kruger/The Kurgan
Red Stone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 19:03
Peanut butters this may be a little weird to say, but I hate you ahhh this is the model I need to, but we have to move on what did you use to make this?

The Dark King
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd Say thats very good
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 19:30
As far as Milkshape goes I have noticed that at times when I am animating something that a right hand will look like a left hand and everything animates backwards...like in a mirror.
Airslide was working on an installer that only installs if you have FPSC but I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 19:42
You could ask people to send you an e-mail requesting the model, and they have to include their FPSC serial number in the e-mail. You can then install FPSC again, to a different directory and use that serial number, so if the serial number is a valid one, the installation will continue (then you could quickly terminate the installation) and you know that the person who wants the model has FPSC. I don't know, just a suggestion

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 19:46 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 19:47
First up thanks for the comments so far. I'm continuing to work on this at the mo, and I think it may need a custom script... anyay..

Quote: "I like it. The texture on the shield looks a little stretched though."

Well in the update screeny you'll see I hashed up a very quick "S.W.A.T" shield, so you can see it ain't stretching at all, although admittedly there any much space on the soldiers UV map, so it's only got a tiny bit of real estate!

Quote: "Curvy Shield stuff"

Yeah you're totally right. Dang, why didn't I think of that. Only thing is, he's bang on 4 megs, and it'll be a 100 or so poly's to get it looking like a curvy riot shield. I'll give it a bash..

Quote: "what did you use to make this?"

Imported from FPSC to fragmotion. saved out as an MS3D file. opened in MS3D, saved as an OBJ. Opened in Maya, created shield and positioned on the character while it was in the bind pose (frame1). Added Shield to UV map in maya, and exported JUST the shield back to an OBJ. Reloaded the MS3D file and imported the correctly positioned Shield.obj. Rigged the shield to the mesh/skeleton.
Then tweaked every animation frame from 573 to 881 (all the pistol ones) to make sure the shield was in the right position, and the gun went around the side.
Exported to .x using the DirectX JT exporter. Texture in photoshop, wrote FPE file, and tested. Then repeated steps 2 and 3 about 7 times until it started to look right. Still on step 2 to be honest.

ANYWAY!
Heres a new little screeny showing his new stopped/shooting pose. Notice now that he crouches and uses the shield propperly to cover himself while shooting around the side.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 19:51
Nice...now if you can just use him to defuse a bomb...

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 20:00
Butter fingers,

Greetings. That's very nice work!

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 00:01
Iv'e seen a problem. If you shoot his shield it would still hurt him. Nice Char though
Tyrano

1 hour Kalspher Demo soon to be released for public BETA!
pigs can fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 00:17
very nice job
as always butters

but i have a question about your model:
does he still take damage while covered?
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 02:24
he will still take damage unless butters has scripted him to have invulnabilty while couchng and straffing. (which I presume he has

1 hour Kalspher Demo soon to be released for public BETA!
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
You can do that?
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking great again! Have you and Rick worked anything out yet?

freakshow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 21:28
Butters you do some amazing work.

P.S:i hate those riot shield ppl too. Just throw a grenade or somethin lol. Dats what i do and i waste all my grenades.

Project:V, where something always lies in the shadows...
Formerly Crazy Al
Rawy
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, it sucks fpsc dosnt support way points cause you can kill him by shooting his sheild so it would look cheesy.

Im rawy,
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 01:03
The script is on it's way, but all of this may have tp be scrapped as I can't get him or the one handed shooting guy to work in the new update. THey both sink halfway through the floor, or crash the editor. THe latter is less common, but I can't fix it. even tried Dist13's way using fragmotion and milkshape to move the first bone around, but this didn't help at all.

help.

Rawy
Years of Service
User Offline
So what your saying is that the model dosnt work ingame?

Im rawy,
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 01:08
I'd bug the heck out of Lee about it then.
He should know why the characters are sinking through the floor.
Since this appears to be a problem that anyone who is creating characters is having he should want to fix it right away.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 01:36
Quote: "So what your saying is that the model dosnt work ingame?"

Yep.And until somebody figures out a way to fix it that means no custom characters.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 19:05
Must be really tiresome exporting all those formats, why not just get 3dwin5? It imports and exports loads of stuff .3ds .X .obj .md2 .stl .lws etc. Have a go at making the shield curved though, unfortunate about the size.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 19:19
HA! I got it working. Turns out i have do the "placing a bone at the feet" techniques, then get V1 to create a DBO and BIN, then import the FPE, the .x , the BIN and the DBO from V1 to the update, then it's all cushtie.

It's so freaking long, TGC should seriously lend a helping hand to the (many many many) users who don't have the priveledge of Max, but want to create custom characters.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 21:34
This is great looking Butters But how are you going to get the shield working? won't it spurt blood when you shoot it?
Slayer_2

EOT
[img][/img]
Check it out here: http://eliteops.piczo.com/?cr=6&rfm=y
badger king
Years of Service
User Offline
looks great butters really well done great work

Hells Earth coming may 2007
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice butters you always since when i joined amazed me! You should model for a game company!

JOIN NOW!Or be square!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 22:31
Butters - as for the first bone thing, I used Fragmotion by moving the first bone AND it's child bone, then moving it above the other bones in the bone list (dragging the icon+name up so fragmotion makes it the first bone).

For the second thing, look at the other thread you made maybe what I posted will help. My custom characters work fine but I'm using Milkshape 1.7.10, not 1.7.9.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 22:32
Quote: "won't it spurt blood when you shoot it?"

Not if you set the enemys decal to "sparks"...

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 23:14
then when you shot him he would spark lol

EOT
[img][/img]
Check it out here: http://eliteops.piczo.com/?cr=6&rfm=y
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 23:31
Well, you can't win either way

Kyias
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been watching this post. And im loving the work Butter. Verry effective.

Keep it up
smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 09:56
Quote: "and I really hate the ballistic shield guys"

Tell me about it..its only good if you have silver weapons..and you have an RPG..lol

Nice work man.

big..hahaha..you said big!
legendary lame
Years of Service
User Offline
MAN!! butter fingers you are good at modeling.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 11:44
That's so cool, does the character have collision for damage but the shield doesn't, well has collision for sparks etc, but not collision in that it hurts the bot holding the shield?
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 15:40 Edited at: 27th Apr 2007 15:40
Great mod! Body bunker could use a little love though.

I'm guessing that as long as the AI was placed/scripted so that you can't get the drop on him it would work fine with sparks for blood in the character's .fpi, right?
Snowwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 18:29
Hmmmm...Retextured World war two Person with an Shield... Cool Idea, but the Swat looks not like this, however ... cool idea

MaxxGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 01:00
In unreal tournement they would go like "MMMMONSTER KILL!!" but ofcorse we say in a more understanebale way of speech "THATS >ANOTHER< AWESOME" model. Butter fingers, Good job.
We want more! We want more! We want more!

Kewl!
marius dark
Years of Service
User Offline
yes nice how do we get it!!! are u selling ??
Endless Fps Team
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 22:31
Is it for download? Butters?
And although the model is impress-ive...
I think you retexture the shield and make it a lil see though, then it would look like a sheild(swat)

Bravo! Bravo! lol

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is bunny...-EFT
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 22:36
this is obviously long dead, as look at the date messages were last psoted. he bumped by 2 and a half months

TATBS 1.8 is now fully functional. Brilodis is having its districts extracted to Battle City. Krina and Karin are twice the size. And you’ll see 5 times as many breeds of monsters... It’s Kalspher V3.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 18:39:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 18:39:09