Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A few questions about Physics and Animation?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 00:08 Edited at: 25th Apr 2007 00:11
I have a few questions about Physics in DBPRo:

1. Are there actually physics commands or do I have to build physics by coding myself? (Basically, would I have to use a long line of commands and variables building physics, or could I just do something like "Physics rigid body 1, 180, 2000 (Object number, Weight, Force)"?)

2. Is it possible to move or rotate a model by group (Like where you aim, the player's arms follow, and once it reaches a certian point, the player's whole model follows the arms a little bit so they can move more.)

3. Is it possible to have a bone set animated, and be able to use that single bone set with it's own animations for several models? (Like Quake III, or JKA.)

4. Is it possible to apply physics to limbs, joints, or groups, and have them rotate while linked to the joint that it is extended from, basically as simple ragdoll physics, or a rope?

The Person99 awards go to: 1. Jack the Ripper for hardest crime scenes. 2. Peter Petrelli for most powers. 3. Superman for longest flight.
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 05:39
1. Dbpro has no physics commands built in but you might want to check out Dark Physics. I have not used this so you will need to research it yourself if you want information on it.

2.Yes. I am not entirely sure what you mean, but you can move the models at the same time by making them as limbs of a single object or but writing a function for it yourself.

3.Yes, but it would require you to have each joint have its own models. (The legs would have to be seperate models from the the feet and torso and so on.)

4.Yes. This is how most phyics are done.
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 06:18 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 06:18
Quote: "2.Yes. I am not entirely sure what you mean, but you can move the models at the same time by making them as limbs of a single object or but writing a function for it yourself."

A group is a labeled area in the model. Most programs support at least joints, are you telling me that DBPro cannot import joints as limbs or even joints as joints, only animations?

The Person99 awards go to: 1. Jack the Ripper for hardest crime scenes. 2. Peter Petrelli for most powers. 3. Superman for longest flight. 4. "The Doctor" for best time travel machine.
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 17:30
Quote: "A group is a labeled area in the model. Most programs support at least joints, are you telling me that DBPro cannot import joints as limbs or even joints as joints, only animations?"

No this is not what I am saying at all. I thought you meant to move two different models at the same time. DBPro can import joints with the models. I do not think DBpro recognises groups in models. So the answer to number 2 is no.
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 04:02
Oh, but it does support model joints?
Can it add gravity and manipulate joints (Not limbs, joints in the modeling program) individually to make ragdoll physics on one model?

The Person99 awards go to: 1. Jack the Ripper for hardest crime scenes. 2. Peter Petrelli for most powers. 3. Superman for longest flight. 4. "The Doctor" for best time travel machine.
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 16:55
Personally, if you're new to this physics stuff. I would go for dark physics, i have it and it's awesome!! Ragdolls, rigid bodies, fluids, particles, collision, the lot. It provides loads of examples aswell.
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 00:43
Well, I like the fluid stuff and all, but dark physics costs alot of money, and according to what I see here, it also requires special drivers. If it requires special drivers, it also means that the game will require special drivers, and I don't really like that.

Newton Dynamics is really cool, but the wrapper requires DBPro 6.0 or higher.

Are there any alternatives?

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 01:42 Edited at: 29th Apr 2007 01:42
it's £30 i know, worth it in the end though. It doesn't need any special drivers, only for the fluid effects, i think anyway. All the rest work fine, the drivers are included in the deal anyway.
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 07:44
Yeah, but after DBPro, I don't have £30. I have about £10.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 21:31:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 21:31:07