Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Can't update DbPro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 07:20 Edited at: 25th Apr 2007 07:21
I kept getting an error after I installed Newton Dynamics saying "Upgrade 6.0 requires MD5.Dll to be in the Compiler folder" or something like that.

So, I realized that there was an upgrade to 6.6b.

Well, I installed it, and I get this:

Is there ANY way to get 6.6b working in windows 2000?

The Person99 awards go to: 1. Jack the Ripper for hardest crime scenes. 2. Peter Petrelli for most powers. 3. Superman for longest flight. 4. "The Doctor" for best time travel machine.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 16:46 Edited at: 25th Apr 2007 16:48
Ouch... compatibility stuff usually doesn't go forward in windows versions, only backwards

Since WindowsXP is basically Windows2000 plus greater Windows 9x compatibility and some extra eye candy (I mean heck, Windows 2000 is NT5.0 and XP is NT5.1), you MIGHT be able to bypass it. Of course, bypassing it requires that you pull apart DBPro in an assembler and change it so it doesn't care... I wouldn't recommend doing that though, it can be a major headache inducer even if you know assembly

Unless money's an issue, I would recommend upgrading to XP though. XP is a lot more stable than Windows2000. If money's an issue though, I'm afraid you're out of luck. You'll have to reinstall, not patch to a version that checks for XP or Vista and find an earlier newton library

I do not recommend Vista though. I get hardlocks every 5 minutes with it because ATI is back to their old ways, making crappy drivers. It might be Vista's fault, I can't be sure. So I don't recommend it.

No matter where you are... everyone is always connected.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 18:03
If it says it needs XP or Vista then that's what it needs unfortunately.

Win2K was never a gaming OS anyway - it was always the big brother of Windows 98/ME for use in offices and DB has never claimed to be 100% compatible with it.

But before you go installing another OS, have you checked to see if your DirectX is fully up to date with the latest version of 9.0c?

Might be worth checking out and keeping your fingers crossed...

The link below is to the FULL install file for the April 2007 release of DirectX 9.0c (49.7 MB).

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

TDK_Man

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 18:50 Edited at: 25th Apr 2007 18:52
Quote: "Windows XP, XP 64-bit, Vista (all versions), 2003 "

Quoted from the Microsoft website.

I hope this won't mess up my old drivers. Do you think it will?

Wine does not yet have support for Darkbasic and Darkbasic Pro, so it is Wincrap 2000, or nothing. You can't buy Wincrap XP anymore, and I am not wasting my money on Wincrap Vista.

Well, does anyone know of a way to get Newton Dynamics working in DBPro 5.7 since apparently anything below XP is no longer supported?

The Person99 awards go to: 1. Jack the Ripper for hardest crime scenes. 2. Peter Petrelli for most powers. 3. Superman for longest flight. 4. "The Doctor" for best time travel machine.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 20:25
Quote: "Wine"

So you are running DBPro on a Unix/Linux box under Win2K emulation?

TDK_Man

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 22:37
No, I am saying that Wine doesn't support DB and DBPro, so I am using windows 2000.

I dual boot with Win2k and Kubuntu, I use Win2k for all the things that can't run in Linux, and Dbpro is one of them.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 22:48
Wine?? !! ?? i don't get it....

Ling creckt tsi nocreckto havela? NASA chetallnar mo lu'ul nasding!
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 23:06 Edited at: 25th Apr 2007 23:13
Quote: " Wine?? !! ?? i don't get it.... "

If you drink enough alcohol, you can do some pretty amazing stuff!

Actually, Wine is an OS emulator that comes with Ubuntu. It makes the program think that it is Windows, or Mac, or whatever OS it requires, and then Wine emulates that OS, and allows you to use the program.
Wine has to have the program in there, it can't automatically read the file's OS yet.
It is really cool though, most people can run Oblivion in Wine better then they can in Wincrap.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 23:15
wincrap? is that a dis i smell?! i loove windows, it kick liunux/unix, &&&! Mac!!

Ling creckt tsi nocreckto havela? NASA chetallnar mo lu'ul nasding!
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 23:16
Quote: "No, I am saying that Wine doesn't support DB and DBPro, so I am using windows 2000"

Ah OK - lol.

Thought you were pushing your luck a bit already!

I've never had any luck with Slackware, Xandros or Red Hat - I was going to ask you how you did it!

TDK_Man

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 03:03 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 03:05
Quote: "I've never had any luck with Slackware, Xandros or Red Hat - I was going to ask you how you did it!"

You are a victim of Red-Hat? Red-Hat is a bad example of linux.

I highly recommend Ubuntu or Kubuntu. The best stable one is Kubuntu 6.0 Edgy Eft.
Of course, get Beryl for it. Beryl is one of the top 3d window programs out there, and is my favorite.

I saw Windows Vista's 3d window program, all it is is a window selection thing. Beryl is always constantly updated, and does some amazing stuff.

Xandros is okay, but not all that great.
Kubuntu and Ubuntu are the best and most stable linux distributions out there I have seen.

Anyway, what all does 6.2 and 6.6 do for DBPro?

I can't exactly bypass the thing like people say, because I get that error.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 04:10 Edited at: 27th Apr 2007 19:16
noo8:

Quote: "wincrap? is that a dis i smell?! i loove windows, it kick liunux/unix, &&&! Mac!!"

No it doesn't. Anyone who says that is simply showing their immaturity - or lack of knowledge on the subject.

Both are competent operating systems - with good and bad points. I use both Windows and Linux - though not Mac.

Retorts like yours can start an OS flamewar and if that happens, the one most likely to get noob slapped is the person that started it... ie you!

OK, Wincrap isn't the most endearing term I've heard, but I've heard a lot worse.

So no more 'mine is better than yours' fanboy talk please.

Person99:

BTW - Did you try the April 2007 version of DX9?

TDK_Man

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 06:22
That is the one I got, and it works.

Quote: "wincrap? is that a dis i smell?! i loove windows, it kick liunux/unix, &&&! Mac!!"

Like TDK said, they both have their own points.

I say wincrap, because I don't like the fact that in my opinion, wincrap costs way to much. My version of linux has a much better desktop graphics system then any windows.

Tell me, n008, why does windows "kick" linux/unix?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 19:15
Person99:

Please don't encourage him to make any more posts or the thread is only going to get locked...

Quote: "That is the one I got, and it works."

Good - problem solved!

TDK_Man

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 21:02 Edited at: 27th Apr 2007 21:02
For DirectX anyway, I still can't update DBPro.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 21:28:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 21:28:45