Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / 3DS Max Sizing and modeling.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 20:25
I have search the forums and couldn't anything that actaully stated what needed to be done. So I am going to ask.

Example: in SimCity You can design your models by converting your grid size to a 16x16 layout which represents a 1 city block and 1x1 grid represented a 1 meter length or 3 feet so you could model your city structures accordingly. Then you would export to simcity and it was hte right size like it should be.

Now my question is this. How do we model to size in 3DS Maxx? I searched and found a moderator state that the models were created with 3DS Maxx. I also saw that you could import models or .x files with MilkShape which i have as well and save to a 3ds format.

I imported a AK47 from the Model Pack 5 and it was rather LARGE once it came into both MilkShape and 3DS Maxx!

I find it very hard to believe that this size was used in creating these models as it makes no sense at all.

If it is indeed the right size what is the correct size grid settings and what should we set this to in order to create our models?

I literally have 100's of characters I want to add for people to use for their games more realistic characters and enemies but I need size ratios and all that.

Please give me details as this will help out greatly.

Yes I know that you can use the entity maker to scale but that is rather rediculous to have to play with that just when this can be fixed by knowing the settins in 3DS maxx.

Thanks in advance.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 22:08
Segments = 100 pixels by 100 pixels or 100 units by 100 units.
1 pixel/1 unit = 1 inch in 3dMax
1 segment= 100 inches or 8'4" squared.

Basic figure measures 6'0" to 6'4" in max.

FastBurst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 01:19
Okay so with that info I should set the grid size to 100? and grid spacing to 1?

Will I have to scale anything once it exports or is this going to be fine?

Perhaps may be a screenshot?
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 13:26
The best thing I've found to do (when I was using Truespace/Gamespace to make my WWII Pack), is to make up a small scene with a character and a barrel from the stock FPSC media (imported into my modeler). I then reduced everything by 3 and saved the scene as a "template". When I made the items, I used the scene to get realistic scale from, then increased the size of my objects by 3. It has worked well for me, as I didn't want to have to mess with the actual scale used; but I agree that everything seems to be too large for some reason.

-Keith

FastBurst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 17:18
Thanks Keith that makes sense.

Next question, about the textures using 3DS Maxx, I apply my textures using the material editor, and export using PandaDXExport. What settings should I use as I have noticed my textures did not export properly or not at all when making the x model and then using the Enity Maker.

Example the Enity maker is askng for a texture file, and I am here thinking why does it need this?

And I if I do need to imput this what program should I be using to create these or will 3DS Maxx actually export the texture as well?

In the past modeling for SimCity and other games everything was included in the model and export, so this is a little new to me or I have missed a step somewhere.

Thanks for all the help guys.

My first project that I am working on is a AS-50 .Cal Sniper Rifle AKA the Berret Big Boy

"Not asking the question to begin with is the only stupid question..."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 19:53
holy crap.
I sense a new weapon creator.
can you animate? if so, buy Weapon Creator.

FastBurst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 20:02
Weapon Creator where is that at? Or the link I should say.

I haven't tried animating weapons yet. Once some explains the texture process to me in 3DS Maxx and Exporting them correctly. its on like Donky Kong!

DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 20:41 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 20:47
http://www.fpscreator.com/characterstudio.html
this will help you out i hope.

w.c
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=92482&b=24

i do have this and it works 100%
this just imports the model to FPSC.
btw nice gun.

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Victor Kruger/The Kurgan
FastBurst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 20:56
Thanks DOMRAY,

Question I see that is for the Characters will this method work for weapons and items or whatever else as well?

Also I like the Weapon Creator thing too pretty nice. Is it Vista Compatible?

FastBurst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 16:54
Thanks, modeling is not hard well at least I dont think it is especially when you use 3DS Maxx and figure out how to work it. Its just time consuming.

I have to re-do this entire model as it is not exporting correctly.

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 20:14
Just a heads up incase you didn't know; weapon creator just makes a weapon fpsc ready, it does not animate for you.

Good gun though
Tyrano

FastBurst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 20:56
Thanks, I want to first get it FPSC Ready than later I may make it animated.

I plan to sell it as add-on later not sure or not IF I do decide to sell the AS50 Sniper Rifle I may only sell for like $1 or $2 making it affordable.

Not sure yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:27:43
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:27:43