Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / EZRotate questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2007 14:39
Hi I have a few questions before purchasing EZRotate.

I would like to know how I would be able to align an object to a terrain, as it advertises. Would this work on a 3DWS terrain? And would it be compatible with Nuclear Glory Collision?

Thanks!

~ z_man ~
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 10:10
Anyone?

~ z_man ~
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 11:40
You align objects by getting the normals. This can also be done using EzRotate functionality. You need to be able to identify 3 points on the poly / object. If you can do that, you're on your way.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 12:29
Quote: "You align objects by getting the normals. This can also be done using EzRotate functionality. You need to be able to identify 3 points on the poly / object. If you can do that, you're on your way."

Yes. You can find 3 points on the poly by using the terrain height commands. EZrotate then has a command that will find the normal (perpindicular vector) to that poly. You can then set the object up using that normal. EZrotate has a good example of how to do this.

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2007 10:15
Ok, thanks!

~ z_man ~
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2007 12:29 Edited at: 2nd May 2007 12:31
I have one more question, I am trying out the free version, and I am trying out some local rotations on some objects. They work great, but I have one problem. I am using this code:

I don't want to add on the the current rotation, I want to set it, if you get what I mean. If you could answer that, I would be grateful.

z_man

~ z_man ~
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2007 18:40
Well, you can always start off by setting EZrotate up at 0,0,0. Then add your local or global rotations to it. Then you get the new values from EZrotate and apply them to your object.

The Enhanced version of EZrotate also has another method of Rotation that is probably the easiest to understand and work with. It is called Axis Angles. Basicly, the Y value describes the global Y rotation (or turn angle). The X value describes the global Z angle (or the amount of pitch). Just with those two angles you have described a heading direction for your object. The Z value describes a local rotation (roll) around that heading direction.

Hope this helps!

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2007 09:52
Thanks very much for your help!

~ z_man ~
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 16:31
Sorry, another question;

I am making a way for my character to shoot lasers. The problem is that when an object is created, the x,y,z position that the object rotates on is in the center. Is it possible to make it offset, so I can define the angle of the laser beam from the gun, not the center of the beam? Does EZRotate Enhanced help in any way with this?

Thanks!

~ z_man ~

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:49:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:49:02