Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / qbasic - darkbasic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
if i know BASIC and 2d basic , i can use it in qbasic or its a diffrent language
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 23:14
The 2d basic I learned was in QBasic, & it is done pixel by pixel to make the images, which is tedious work. I havnt worked much with 2d stuff on DB, but I think you can load sprites via images (I belive it was slow on DBClassic, but not on DBPro.)

If I were you, I would stick with DB, instead of QBasic, QBasic will always run out of lines for 2d codes, so its really useless. You can make a short game, with graphics as good as the NES, without running out of spaces for code, but you cant get above NES without running out.

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 23:30 Edited at: 19th May 2003 23:37
QBASIC was my first language that I learned. QBASIC is a BASIC language but it really dosen't compare to DB. QBASIC was made over 25 years ago. QBASIC cannot natively load media. Some routines were made for sound loading, images, and basic 3D, but not like DB. It also used 255 color and poor resolution, depending on what screen you used. What is one line in DB is 100's of lines in QBASIC. For images, you need to use DATA like this:

This is just for a 6*6 image. If you needed to do this for every image in the game, it would be alot of work.

Just to see how much more work it is, heres a code for loading .wav's. I didn't write it and don't know if it works.

"Food is güd!" -Dean
"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Click Here!!!
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 02:00
When life gives you ms-dos ,program in Qbasic!
Hey good old times... But Qbasic is a nice solution if you need to program for low-specs systems. The language structure is prety much the same as DB ,It has a few diferences but they`re easy to understand (the help file should cover them)

Ps. you can have some 3d in Qbasic I`ve seen it alround, but it`s nothing compared with DB...

"They" are the Illuminati
RisTar
Years of Service
User Offline
there are some manuals on how to work with 2d in qbasic ?

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 22:44
@ RisTar

I found some resources online a long time ago, that went into just about everything. If I were you, I would just stick with DB or DBPro. I dont have the link anymore, but look on QBasics website (dont have the link to that either right now.)

@ Proteus

The 3D you saw, was probably faked, which is just a lot of sprites (the data statement stated above can make a sprite that way) that are put together to make it look like 3D.

QBasic is one of the oldest versions of Dos programing out, & there is currently no 3D in QBasic, nor will there probably ever be. You also may be talking about another type of Basic, as there are many. VB is the most common, followed by QB & DB.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 23:17
It is perfectly possible to do 'actual' 3D in qbasic, a rotating cube with faces and backface culling is probably about 100-200 lines in qbasic, its just a matter of manipulating the 3D coordinates and using maths to project them onto the screen. This is my rather crap attempt (sorry its all compact, it was in the 20 line challange)...

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 09:33:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 09:33:24