Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Joint (NOT LIMB) manipulation in DBPro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 08:19 Edited at: 9th May 2007 08:25
For those of you who do not know, a joint is a bone in the model that allows easier animating in programs like Blender, Milkshape 3d, and 3ds max.
I do not mean as in limbs that come with dbpro.

I was wondering if it is possible to modify a joint in a model, without separating the parts of the model in different spots.

For example (Anti-reader warning, two long lines):

I was hoping something similar to the following, but it looks like I am out of luck.

do
if controlkey()=1
if angle#=frontview#
point joint ARM#, MX#, MY#, MZ#
endif
if angle#=sideview#
point joint ARM#, MX#, MY#, MZ#
point joint TORSO#, MX#, MY#, MZ#
endif
endif

(You get the point)

If I attach everything as limbs in separate models, it looks extremely odd, as the vertexes don't merge together like a full model. Especially in something like a stick-man-type game.

Can anyone help me?

Edit: Thanks to people's help, I know that Limbs are also Bones in DBPro. But, you have to preform and print a limb checklist to get them...

How do I print a limb checklist?

The Person99 awards go to: 1. Jack the Ripper for hardest crime scenes. 2. Peter Petrelli for most powers. 3. Superman for longest flight. 4. "The Doctor" for best time travel machine.
Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
The bones in a skinned mesh are limbs in dbpro. Say you used 3dsmax biped and exported as an .x file. You access the "bones" with the limb commands.
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 02:24 Edited at: 8th May 2007 06:32
Oh now that is awesome!

So how can I find the name of the bones and use them as limbs?

Does it work similar to:

if controlkey()=1 then rotate limb 1, "Rarm", 5, 5, 5

Or does it work in another way?

The Person99 awards go to: 1. Jack the Ripper for hardest crime scenes. 2. Peter Petrelli for most powers. 3. Superman for longest flight. 4. "The Doctor" for best time travel machine.
Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
You have to use the limb number and not the name. To get the limb numbers use the Perform checklist for object limbs command.

The checklist will have the bone names. I then just print the checklist to screen to see which bone is what limb number.
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
This is exactly what I have been looking for.

Just someone obsessed with making games(this will be updated whenever...)
Ankillito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 05:45
Wow... now I just gotta figure out how to make bones. (I'm new to Max, if you couldn't tell.)

"There will always be evil, for, without evil, the good shall lose their virtue."
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 06:43 Edited at: 9th May 2007 08:19
Quote: "Wow... now I just gotta figure out how to make bones. (I'm new to Max, if you couldn't tell.)"

Get milkshape, bones are alot easier to do. I hate Max.
Alright, but how do I print the checklist?

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 09:17 Edited at: 9th May 2007 09:17
(Sorry for double post, edit is messed up for my last post)
Actually, is it possible to use the actual bone names as limbs, and use something like "rotate limb 2, "Larm", MAX#, MAY#, MAZ#"?

Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
You can do something simple like this:

I suppose you can setup some variables for the limbs then you can pass the limb number to that variable then just use the name.
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 22:21 Edited at: 9th May 2007 22:22
Awesome, it works! Thanks!
I got my sword pointing at a sphere always!
But I am using the actual joint as a limb.

How can I get the sword to do something at a certian angle? For instance: Points the sword at a different object when it reaches 50 degrees to the right.

Ankillito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 01:07
um, I don't think that's enough to go by. More info plz?

"There will always be evil, for, without evil, the good shall lose their virtue."
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 05:23 Edited at: 11th May 2007 05:23
I want the code to make the limb do something new when it hits a certian angle off of the object. For instance: When a stickman's arms and upper torso hit 45 degrees left or right on the horizontal axis,
the stickman's whole body rotates to that point.

Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 08:07
I can't figure it out.

Is there some sort of xangle># commands or something?

Who will die first?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:41:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:41:29