Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What Should I Use?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 08:02
What I'm asking is, what programs should I use in programming a game. At this time, I have 140 dollars set aside. 100 dollars is going to buying Darkbasic Pro, but here's where the first question comes in. On realgametools.com, they say there giving away a program called CharacterFX that does chracter animations. Is this a good program? and do I still need a program to actually make the 3-d objects and textures, or does it do that to? If not, what should I use?
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 08:06
Also, I forgot to mention this, but I was also thinking on buying Cartography Shop through the Darkbasic page to put together the maps. Is it worth the money?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 10:05
Id invest this way
buy DBP from RGT with the CFX bundle

save the rest for milkshape which is around $20.

I heard it was on a uk mag so that might be even cheaper to provide as a solution.

MS and CFX go hand in hand with the compatability and tranfer of model data between the two programs.

to save money for the 2d image editing u can use these freeware programs

canvas 6 not 3d canvas
zonerdraw 3
photoplus 5
paint shop pro (latter versions are free v4)

as for audio applications thers a few freeware programs that allow editing of the sound byte and one great one but only runs on faster machines is protools.

its more geared towards composition so u may have to tie it in with say soundforge or cakewalk etc...

Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 15:26
Thank you VERY much! I know it was a bit odd of me to post something like this, but I'm a moneypincher at all times, so I like to be sure I'm buying exactly what I need, especially when I'm spending 100$ and up.

ozak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 17:02
If you're not a great artist, I'd definately recommend Cartography Shop for levels. It's nice to have lightmaps + entity information. That way you can use it as level editor as well.

Regards

Ozak

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 09:25:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 09:25:44