Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Text-Based-Adventure that i will likely never finish

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 07:57
Unless peoeple are interested... which they probably won't be but you never know. Maybe i am just being pessimistic, lol.

Anyway! a while ago i started working on a text based adventure. I was very excited (as you always are, when a project starts) and i made a bit of progress but i never really fineshed it and it basically died. Upon finding the amazingly backed up code on my other hard drive (after i formatted the first one) i considered it rather lucky that i didnt lose it (like all my other projects!) so i thought some people might like to see it

Please tell me what you think, i don't think a text-based-adventure needs screenshots exactly... it's the same as every other one lol.

Oh, and it's just a standard dungeon escape, minues ye olde language.

Go through the code if you want to find out all the different commands lol.

I can supply an exe if anyone wants one.

So (finally), here is the code:

it works as far as i know! (hah!) Sorry the code is so bloody messy.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 10:44
I think your project is interesting. But I can see where you could improve your logic and data storage technique to make the game more complex, interesting, and easier to code as it gets larger. Ideally, you'd want to code an editor, so that you could create numerous text adventures off the same engine, rather than having to hard code everything each time.

I have a really good book on coding text adventures, and keeping track of the players location, inventory, item locations, multiple room descriptions, and tokenized parsers. It will take some explanation, but I could probably wip up some things in a day or two if your interested.

I mention this because it would make coding the game, especially as the adventure gets larger, easier to manage than your current progress method. It also provides a non linear exploration, and varying description in rooms dependent on what the user has done (eg. Taken an object, turned on the light, listened, opened a door,
etc...)

It really becomes quite interesting when you can handle actual typed in commands for more than one noun verb adjective.

for eg.
Take the blue key from the table
(as opposed to taking the red key from the shelf)

It was my intention at one time to code a text adventure creator for DBpro, but then I figured no one would be interested.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 01:14
You might want to pop over to geek culture, we're planning the 2007 text adventure competition right now and if you think this would be done by October, maybe you could enter it .

"In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:32:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:32:26