Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3ds models, scaling, and collisions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,

Although I've been using DBPro for a while now, this is my first post so please bear with me if this has been asked before!

Basically, what I would like to know is whether DBPro's support for 3ds models is bugged with regard to scaling and collisions. When I do OBJECT COLLISION(1,2) where object 1 is an object made from a 3ds model loaded an unchanged out of the Darkmatter collection, and object 2 is a simple box, it works fine. However, when I scale the 3ds model up or down, the collision goes rather wonky, oftentimes declaring a collision has occurred when it has clearly not; and vice versa.

On closer inspection I notice that when scaling a simple box, sphere, or other 3d primitive, it scales around the centre of the object, but when I scale a 3ds model, it scales it around the 'bottom' of the model. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Cheers.

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
Collision & Scaling: Sorry can't help you there but I've seen some threads on it.

Scaling 3ds: Objects are scaled from their local axis. The local axis for that particular 3ds object is most probably set at the bottom.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 22:00
I don't know about DB pro, but I can confirm that in DB Classic (the earlier version of DB), after rescaling loaded objects, the collision box did not reflect the rescaling.

This meant that an object which was scaled down still thought it was the original larger size when it came to collision. Objects obviously 'collided' when they were nowhere near each other!

The answer was to do the scaling up or down in the modelling software before saving it - meaning no scaling was required in DBC.

However, I thought that would be one of the things rectified in DB Pro and I'm surprised the problem still exists.

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:52:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:52:38