Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3D Modeler, suggestions?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone!

I have been working on my project for a bit now, and have come into a dillema with choosing a good landscape maker, 3D character modeler, and 3D animator. I was hoping people from around the community could suggest what they think is the best to go with for starters. I would really hate buying something that just dosen't work out for me!
MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 22:23
Milkshape 3D is good for low-poly character models/animators. 3D World Studio is awesome for landscapes!

Piggybank 123
Years of Service
User Offline
3D World Studio is a nice program, but I can't really create large environments with it, as it seems it only excels in creation of buildings like in FPS's. Not to picky, but I was hoping there would be something for creation of race tracks and such?
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 22:01
Quote: "Hello everyone!

I have been working on my project for a bit now, and have come into a dillema with choosing a good landscape maker, 3D character modeler, and 3D animator. I was hoping people from around the community could suggest what they think is the best to go with for starters. I would really hate buying something that just dosen't work out for me!"

Blender is a VERY good 3d modeler/animator/sculptor/UVunwrapper. I believe that the armatures count as bones (And limbs), and blender supports just about all types of animation.

However, when you first open it, Blender will make you feel like you just entered 3ds Max Professional PH.D Edition.

But once you look at the noob-to-pro wikis, Blender will make Milkshape look like Javascript.

Just a tip if you do use blender: Learn to use the Merge tool. You can extrude, sculpt your model to whatever you want, then use the Merge tool when you are done, to make it really low polygon.

Time for me to make a detailed desert eagle:
Starting from a box and extruding to make a gun model- 20 minutes.
Modifying the vertexes and snapping to grid to bring the model to perfection - 5 minutes
Merging to remove all the vertexes that you don't need - 3 minutes.

However, Blender does cost a little bit of money... Approximately 3 cents for the electricity used while you were downloading it.

It's pricetag is 1 digit:
£0

If you are one of those people who are afraid of blender, you can blow £13 and get Milkshape 3d.

If you want 3d World Studio, you are going to need another £7.

The Person99 awards go to: 1. Jack the Ripper for hardest crime scenes. 2. Peter Petrelli for most powers. 3. Superman for longest flight. 4. "The Doctor" for best time travel machine.
The ARRAYinator
Years of Service
User Offline
A for models milkshape and blender. I feel they compliment each other well. As for landscapes I havent used Landscapes from 3d world studion but I have programs such as T.E.D and it is good for making a fairly nice terrain quickly but ive always found that I needed something more for terrain so Im in the process of writing a terrain/world editor. But seriously if Terrainscape is coming out soon I think that might be the best of all available 3rd party terrain programs. Alquerian seems to be making an amazing editor that is "built for DB AT's". Theres also advanced terrain and some pretty awesome shaders by Green Gandalph that would allow you to make terrains in 2d programs and such. There are options especially for terrain without purchasing a single thing and thus far for me at least it has produced far superior results but with the tradeoff of alot of work and time. Its all up to preference and whether your into building from the groundup or using different methods besides an editor. Hope this helps

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 03:34 Edited at: 12th May 2007 03:37
Yes, I agree with ARRAYinator. Milkshape 3d and Blender are a perfect couple (Don't leave them alone together, we might get a milkblend 3d and a 3d blendshape!)

I usually use Blender for the modeling and polygon lowering, then use Milkshape 3d to import the defaults, get the size correct, rotate properly, export, etc. I then use lithunwrap to unwrap the models.

Lithunwrap was free, but was later officially replaced by Ultimate Unwrap 3d (Which costs money), so it is hard to find. But it is well worth it.

I don't know how to export the Blender UVs into texture files. I know it is very possible, but I just don't know the button.

Be sure when you get Blender that you get the WIN32 version. Blender has a second .ZIP version for Linux, and can be easily mistaked for a windows .ZIP... I made the mistake about 5 times when I tried to install it on Windows.

Wasa
Years of Service
User Offline
for modeling and uv wings can't be beat for the price
animation wise, blender is king unless you like spending a few thousand for the same features

if your just on a small budget, silo is a great app
the soon to be release 2.0 has some nice features like displacement sculpting and normal map generation

project messiah is nice for animation as it is it's main focus and makes it very easy from what i found in the demo
not sure what formats it can export to, but i do believe x is one of them

cheers
The Core
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 18:39
ide say at the moment because gamespace is going so cheap ..ide grab a copy of that .. I have used various modeling software and by far i find gamespace simple to use and very easy to export your models to darkbasic without losing any distortion.

---thecore---

i'm E.T i have so much tech but yet i dont have a mobile phone! where is a land line when you need one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:55:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:55:43