Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Does normal mapping move on characters?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 03:52 Edited at: 12th May 2007 07:47
Well, I don't know how to activate normal mapping on characters, but before I shoot a bunch of my time down a drain, I wanted to know if it actually moved with the character moved, sort of like Sauerbraten, or D3.

Does FPSC do this?

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 06:21
Normal maps occupy the same space as the corisponding polys on the UV Map. Your question makes very little sense. Perhaps reading up on what normal maps are will help you greatly to first:

Not post this in the Models and media forum, since it shows nothing in game(forums have been getting a lil lax in this for some odd reason)

And second:
Not post this at all because you'd have a better understanding of what normal maps do.

Now beyond this if your asking if you can animate textures the answer is no. But since your question makes very little sense, it's really hard to tell if this is what your asking and just don't know the terminology.

Loc

PS Your signature is to big. 600x120 max...not 599x163. Try and be thoughtful to your fellow forum members that aren't on cable.

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 07:53 Edited at: 12th May 2007 08:01
ARGH, can anyone please move this to the FPSC Chat thread if anyone can?

My question should make perfect sense.
I'll do a longer rundown.

In Doom 3, the lighting reflects off of a normal map, as FPSC does.

But when the player moves, the lighting on the maps move around from an angle from the player.
In Doom 3, it also did the same for the characters.

I don't want to go through the trouble of making a normal map, if I don't know that it will move with the character.

I asked if it did.

Quote: "Now beyond this if your asking if you can animate textures the answer is no. But since your question makes very little sense, it's really hard to tell if this is what your asking and just don't know the terminology."

I didn't mention anything about animated textures.

Quote: "
PS Your signature is to big. 600x120 max...not 599x163. Try and be thoughtful to your fellow forum members that aren't on cable.
"

I meant it to be 600x120, but apparently flash decided not to let me.
Thanks for reminding me, I scaled it way down.

BTW, the image is 41.6 kbs, and will take a maximum of 4 seconds to load on the worst modem.

It is now 441 x 120.

Who will die first?
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 09:40
Guns and characters have very limited support by any fx. Normals do work pretty good on segments and the like. Also depends what ver you use. Some have had very screwed up shader support.

As you have to know though all of FPSC's loading and maps calculation is at the beginning of the game/level. I doubt very much they will ever have much of any fx that will work in real time(I should probably add in FPSC. X10 may be worlds different).

And I know you didn't mention animated textures. But saying like this game here...or this game there...means nothing....Not every one plays those games and your better explanation came in post 2. But asking if a map moves made no sense. Of course the map never moves....Moving would entail animation...Hence my train of thought.

And theres no BTW's....Just follow the rules like we all do.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 11:12 Edited at: 12th May 2007 11:13
I also thought you were talking about animated textures, normal maps don't move...

A better way to ask the question is: "Does normal mapping on characters respond to lighting as the character moves?"

And the answer is "yes". But I think if you want the quality seen in Doom 3 you should wait for X10.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 16:58
Quote: "Does normal mapping on characters respond to lighting "

In my experiance, NO, normal mapping does not react to light or moving around, in fact Id say it doesnt work at all, I leave it out as I dont notice it working, thats if it does work, hopefully it may get improved after DX10
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 13:50
Quote: "In my experiance, NO, normal mapping does not react to light or moving around, in fact Id say it doesnt work at all, I leave it out as I dont notice it working, thats if it does work, hopefully it may get improved after DX10"

FPSC's shaders can only been seen by some computers.

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 15:48
Hey, I just looked at the FPSC default .FX files.
Why do the characters have an alpha map?

Who will die first?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 14:36:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 14:36:10