Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Gaytrix

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 00:22
I can see that being plausible, butthat would be kinda cheap... Anyways, why did Neo and Smith both go into a coma after the EM blast then?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 00:46
perhaps Neo isn't 100% human

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 00:57
I was thinking that... maybe he is just a program in someone's body or something but that doesn't explain anything really, as too why they are connected.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 03:27
EM blast? I didn't pick that up. Seemed more like he was manipulating them and it exhausted his mental reserves. A bit odd, being able to shoot EMPs out of your fingertips, isn't it?

Maybe his last name is really Palpatine

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 04:03 Edited at: 27th May 2003 04:05
Arrow, a lot of rumours were going around saying the 'real world' is actually a Matrix and 'The Matrix' is within that. I dismissed it as rubbish just like the Trinity is an Agent rumour, guess we'll find out in #3 though lol.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 04:39
Interesting idea. If it was true, it certainly works a charm, dosen't it? Then again, if it's true, where are all the other humans the robots need?

Hey, who says the robots are in control of the 'Real World' Matrix anyways? Morpheus might be manipulating it all!

Nutty theory, isn't it

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
blather
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 06:16
Well said and well met oh stygian colored foul. I do tend to agree that when I pay I intend to enjoy myself. The movie tickets for me and my wife were $15.00. I did only say I was not impressed this time arround. As far as the "in or out" of the matrix thing and undercurrents of subtle subplots, it runs a little thin. That is to say unless you are inclined to belive that neo's mind in and out of the matrix are becomming trained to resist the rational laws that bind many minds to "reality". Anyway there are already tons of spoilers sites out there. On the comparison side I was only talking about depth of story in relation to LOTR.

"It's even worse when you see the matrix because they never knew the story would be so big"

Yes the books are huge, long, detailed and somtimes hard to read. Forget all that, The stand alone effect of the first movie hangs in the air for the first few scenes of reloaded. This due to the fact that many people reviewed the movie again. If you are really wondering about in and out of the matrix, remember in the firs movie trinity revives neo then in the second neo revives trinity.
Hold to a corse and stay on target, who is the one again, neo ok. In the end it is the details the can hold lose stories together, ie.. Twin Peaks and David Lynch. In the end though by the third season the story became convuluded that it flew apart. Not the quibbling over which button combination activated the transporter on star trek, but the bad intro and ignoreing of clear details.
As someone who works in video compositing, 50' jumbo screen or 27' ntsc tv at home, there is no excuse for bad movie making and cinimatography. To suspend disbelief for a story you must correct those oversites to make what people see and what they belive they see as close as possible. The story can be so great that when all other things the comprise a movie are not up to par, they show through even worse.

BTW: Thanks for the comment about spidy, although it and Batman (the first) are by far the closest to origin of comic books movies. I have not seen the HULK or X2 yet. Did you ever see the low budget make of Captian America? If not don't bother.

As I said "I still like the Matrix Reloaded, I was just not impressed by it."

"N. foolish talk esp. in great quantity"
Webster's
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 07:04
Turtles stacked on turtles supporting the world read the MSN reveiw A- one it'l explain..

The Great Schism.- The Earths reaction to Heavons invasion.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 09:49
well the real world is real i can assure you
but i'm just saying perhaps Neo isn't... 100% human hehee
thats something to rattle your brains over.

but then again the matrix could all be the imagination of Neo who is really the Ai who create the Matrix to hold the people and it is just the reflection of the Ai's subconcious actually having doubts that they're really doing the right thing and that doubt will take form in the One which he has made to specifically destroy what he has created because he can no longer do that and it pains him... showing the machine that started it all actually has grown from the humans the idea of compassion and the only way to set them free from the terrible prison before he understood what emotion was is to have it destroyed from the inside by a humanoid which the humans would follow.

i mean just an idea, probably not true even slightly but an idea

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 06:02
Wow Raven is that your own thats really deep and sounds good... I'll think about it for awhile....

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 09:13
I just noticed that rapscaLLion removed the site because a few of us didn't think it was funny. I didn't think it wasn't funny becuase I'm a homophobe, I didn't find it funny cuase it relied so heavily on the fact that they were gay. Just because someone (or smething in this case) is gay doesn't automaticly make it funny, if they took some time to accully think up some jokes it might have been better.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 09:44
you know oftenly the biggest homophobes are actually people who are in part gay themselves who can't handle it so they keep these type of people away and the subjects about them at bay so they don't have to deal with their own fears.

i'm kinda in a philosophical mood at the mo hehee, and yeah to tell you the truth i ain't got a clue whats gonna happen Anjin with Matrix:Revolutions ... but if Neo wasn't human and infact created for the very purpose to destory the world the machine had created, well to be honest it has Biblical reference written all over it doesn't it?

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 12:53
Quote: "you know oftenly the biggest homophobes are actually people who are in part gay themselves who can't handle it so they keep these type of people away and the subjects about them at bay so they don't have to deal with their own fears."

i've been saying that for 4 years

--Eric

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 13:35
btw raven thouse movies were funny as hell, especially the dieing in style, knives, can't wait till he's done, oh and you'd all better watch this or... i'll make you eat Kentucky......Fried...........Chicken lmao

--Eric

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 15:37
Yeah the matrix is heavy into religon, I could count quite a few part that I was sure some southern fruit loop with a bible would condem to hell.

Yeah, I agree with that homophobe logic, I could care less what hole you choose at the end of the just so you're not 'anal' about it.
Sorry couldn't resist.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 00:58 Edited at: 1st Jun 2003 01:32
Yeah I was one who thought it was pretty stupid gay isn't automatically funny...

Biblical reference???? I'm not sure if what you said did... kinda, the movie already did have a lot of biblical breference with the whole christ angle and rebirth of Neo.

has anyone played the game Enter the Matrix I want to buy it but don't know if it's worth it. I here you can't play as Neo which is a little disapointing. What did you think of it, DB Com?

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 01:04
If you are a Matrix fan, the game is ok. If not, the game is sub-par.

aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 01:33
bummer...That's what I thought... oh well, sniff...

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 07:13
'you know oftenly the biggest homophobes are actually people who are in part gay themselves who can't handle it so they keep these type of people away and the subjects about them at bay so they don't have to deal with their own fears.'

Classic stuff, but I have to say it seems a likely theory. I tend to avoid delving into the human mind, however...

EtM is one of those games that's merely 'okay' in itself, but it's nice if you're a huge Matrix fan. There's some other game/movie transition I was going to compare it too-- or perhaps movie/book-- but I can't recall what it was...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 08:36
ironically JK2 has actually created alot more fans rather than rely on you being one
so many people i fought online including my own padawan didn't even know what StarWars was until we got her into the films and everything hehee
anyone seens Jedi Academy... boy is that just a piece of artwork, i can't wait to see it - and for saying thats the Q3 engine still they've got some BLOODY gorgeous graphics out of it.

as for Neo, well if you could play EtM as Neo that would just be pointless - i mean nothing could kill you how boring would that be. People shot at you and you just stop it, people try to hit you and you just phase and they pass right through you. yup way i see it would be boring as hell.
and perhaps the refferences to Neo as Christ, well not quite what i ment ... however try to note the name Trinity.
Neo just mean new oki, now in the old testiment there is a reference to man who lived which he lived a very bad life for many many years, until one day God made him blind. After that he started to actually see for the first time in his life how he has done wrong, after a while he fell ill and as he was close to death god decided to spare his life and cure his alements.

i don't remember the exact text but thats the general ghist... Neo is not christ he is that man created by the world to make a difference and chosen by god.
just a theory ofcourse

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 09:53
I think the 'real world' in the matrix is in fact another part of the matrix... it explains it in the movie unless i missed something

people who didnt like being in the matrix ended up in the outer matrix...

every so often the city is destroyed and the one fixes everything...

would make sense that way... ive prolly got my messages crossed in the movie tho

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 20:39
Jedi Knight 2... phaa, just too sluggish. And filled with insane puzzles.

Jedi Acadamy looks brilliant though. It could be awful, or excellent, depending on their excexution. I can imagine how strong and interesting guilds could be if they rigged their multiplayer right-- actually training new trainees as padawans, etc... sounds fun, dosen't it?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 02:00
-Jedi Knight 2... phaa, just too sluggish

You kidding me?

-filled with insane puzzles.

LOL!Which one?

Running away You're lost for words again Now you`ve got all what you wanted Are you really satisfied?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 03:45
i'm gonna echo what actarus said ... i was running JK2 on pathetic P3-500 w/GeForce256 & 128Mb Ram when i first got it, at the lowest settings was still pretty nice looking because of the texture definition & ran at a very respectable 40fps, would slug to around 25 whenever i got too many storm troopers onscreen - but it was only really noticeable because the fps wasn't much to start with.

Duron800Mzh w/GeForce2mx 200 & 512Mb you can run it at close to full options (ception being Stencil Shadows) at 800x600x32 at around 60fps nicely ... you want stencil shadows and 1024x768 then putting a GeForce4mx 420 would be sufficient, however there are some online levels ::coughduelofthefates2cough:: that no-ones cards can handle well, even my current system runs that at a pathetic 80fps.
But thats what happens when someone does a quick vis rather than a full vis - make take like a 6hrs on a single machine for a level like that, but the benifits to everyone just really outweight the compile time ... plus there are alot of really badly patched worlds with leaks all over the place.
the JK2 community certainly is a dertemined bunch, but really-really-really bad at it lol

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 05:18
I wasn't talking about the frame rate, I was talking about the storyline. The whole thing relied on you being interested in a single chain of events-- surely they didn't thing you'd be interested and/or amused by the 1-dimensional 'character development'?-- which was in itself a weak strain.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 15:35
The storyline,afaik,was taken from an officially approved book written after the Return of the Jedi in 84/85 plus they had to fit in Katarn's history.

Really the only thing I dislike of the game is the fact that the master dark Jedi is a kinda beast or if you like,an overgrown Kowagian Lizard ...They always fit in better as an old man or something like an eerie 70's caricature like Christopher Lee (count Dooku).

Although you weren't talking about the fps,I have to put in my own 2 cents.

My machine is a poor old 667eb P3 with a 1998 OxygenVx-1 wit 32megs and 256 megs SDRAM not even supporting HW T&L and I can run it at 1280x1024(mid-quality) in fact,I played it in 640x480 for a long time before trying higher rez and finding out it almost not affects the speed.

Anyways,where were those 'insane puzzles'?

Running away You're lost for words again Now you`ve got all what you wanted Are you really satisfied?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 15:54
the Story was taken from the Jedi Academy series, and if you've read them then you'd know that Desann doing this would actually have been impossible because for those who don't know, Yavin4's Moon was once inhabited by the Messipota which is a 1,000 year old race which little is known about except for thier Mayan Structured buildings. Well they were enslaved by the first Sith Lord called Exar Kun, who got all his power from these inhabitants ... and somehow when the original Jedi Council was formed to defeat him, his soul didn't get released and goto the Valley of the Jedi - but instead it stayed on Yavin4.

Well as you might know Luke setup the Academy on Yavin4 and after a small while Exar Kun see this all as his oppertunity to actually cause vicarious damage throughout the galaxy by taking the weaker minded of Lukes pupils.
Desann being the most powerful but most disobediant seemed like one of the best choices, so for a few nights Kun whispered to Desann trying to tempt him to visit the Sith Temple where he could gain full control once he learn the DarkSide.
Unfortunately Desanns ambition to advance quicker than Master Skywalker wanted was ultimately his death. He had spent some days constructing a lightsaber which was actuall forbidden to do because Luke didn't feel they were ready, but one night when Kun came back Desann got into a rage and frantically swong his saber about.
This woke the rest of the academy who come in to see desann dead, as he's killed himself in his frantic attempt to kill the spectre.

However that aside, i believe that Jedi Academy is based very closely on these stories more... the triology of books is bloody good and well worth getting if your a fan
I really love the Admiral Daala character - i still don't think she is dead, but Kevin J Anderson hasn't written any more books post the series, so there is just no way to know.

as for insane puzzles - insane how? By needing to use Jedi Powers for them? i mean the only puzzles that would seem even slightly insane would be the Academy ones but that is so early in the game and your honing your Jedi Skilled, you expect to automatically get a lightsaber and be able to kill a platoon or storm troopers?

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 17:02 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2003 17:02
haha

What I love in this game is that you can really be a pityless scum...Like when coming face to face with two guards and pushing them on the ground,then before any of them gets up,you raise one of them with a grip(the most powerful one) while throwing the saber to the other one and quickly strike your prey...Or throw the gripped guard on the other one,your choice.I've managed to do similar with about 5 storm trooper on bespin too.

Can't wait for any SW game to come out.

They should remake my favorite oldie though,Tie Fighter.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 19:40
'the Story was taken from the Jedi Academy series'

MY GOD that's why!

Star Wars fiction is, as a rule, utter crap. Some of the worst authors I've ever read pump stories out in that rathole of primeval muck. Ye gods, that would explain the nightmarishly bad plotline!

The only good SW fiction I've read, and I've read a lot of it, is... let me think... Jetter's work. His trilogy. And I suppose the X-Wing series is halfway decent, at least up until the point that other author takes over and buries the quality under piles of word sewage...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 16:13 Edited at: 5th Jun 2003 16:14
... mouse have you even read the Jedi Academy Trilogy?
best god damn'd books i've ever read, right up there with LOTR's Triology and Redwall (think it was renamed House of Nihm for the US).

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 17:01 Edited at: 5th Jun 2003 17:03
Actually,I'm so much of a SW fan you could make me read a SW comic book made by a 10 yo

I don't wanna start over again with the 'You h8 Georgie boy' but I challenge anyone to show me a film director/producer which gives you THAT much for your money EVERYTIME.

I mean,yeah,there's a bit of kitchyness or cheesyness(call it what you want) in it and maybe the 70's style is hard to keep as impressive as it was(I know I was at the time) nowadays but my personal opinion remains the that it's THE movie experience.

Most people don't realize or know that SW is inspired by Japanese ancestral Jidai Geki folk theatre and uses a musical form of expression called 'leitmotif'(Sir Williams's TM) which're both old style...

Basically,it's like those old 'Black Belt Theatre' series only in space.

Plus,I loved Classic Star Wars comic book,it just felt good in 1985 ,after longing for more SW stories(which no one ever doubt there'd be a prequel),to see what happened to Boba Fett after the Saarlac pit fall (not dead ).

Actually,having been spoiled the end of episode 3(if indeed it is a spoil),I can tell you at least one book that'll make sense called Splinter of the Mind's eye

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:38:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:38:44