Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / How To Re-texture A Room Segment(tutorial)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
(NOTE: I looked around in here and didn't see this so I thought I would share it. If it is in here somewhere then I apologize for another post.Mind you that it is ok to use this for your own game, but you are not allowed to sell the retextured segment as your own work....i.e. A new segment pack.)

What you will need:

FPSC (duh hehe)

Some kind of Paint program or Texture Maker (which is what I use)

DDS converter

Let's Start:

The first thing you do is go to where you installed FPSC. Usually this is

c:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator

Then go to the "files" folder and then to the "Segments" folder. For this particular retexture tutorial we are going to use the Modern Day Living Room Segment A. You can use any other one you want, but this one works well.

The path for this would be:

FPS Creator>Files>segments>Modern Day>Living Room>Room A

We will copy two files from here. These are the "Living Room Low A.bmp" and the "Living Room Low A.fps". Highlight both of them and copy them using the right-click>copy.

Now we back out to the "segemnts" folder and then select the "User" folder. If you never did anything in here, this folder will be empty. Once inside, just right-click and paster the files there. Now, when you do this, they will both be highlighted. right-click on the first file there and select rename. Type in "MyRoom" or anything you want to use as a different name for the segment. If you left both items highlighted, this will change the name of both files at the same time.

Now that we have our segment ready for texturing, we need to create our texture. We will need to create two textures. One for the floor and one for the walls. You can find textures anywhere or use any picture you want. For the purpose of this example, I have created two textures for you. Just DL the file. When you extract these textures please extract them to the directory

FPS Creator>Files>texturebank>User

This is where you should put all textures that you wish to use within FPSC. These files are already converted to DDS for you so you don't need to go through that whole process.

Now that they are in place, we are ready to re-texture that wall segment. So now we go back to the Segments>User folder and open up the FPS file in your notepad. I am not going to explain everything you see in here, just the parts you need to know.

The line labeled "meshname0 = " is what calls the .X file for the segment. This will never change, but if you look at the end of that line you can tell whether it is a floor or wall part. The first meshname is usually the floor.

The next long line you will see is the "texture0 =". This gives the current texture path for that segment. We will change that path name to the following:

texturebank\User\Floor1.dds

Now, if we scroll down to the next "meshname" you will see it says "wall_A.x" at the end. The rest of the "texture" commands will be changed to the following path name:

texturebank\User\Stone1.dds

To make things quicker, once you type this in, highlight the path name and copy it to the clipboard. Then, as you scroll down you can just highlight the old path and paste the new one over it. You will have to do this a few times to count for the whole wall. Once you are done, you can save it and it will be ready to use.

Now, open up your FPSC and go to the "segments" tab and choose "Add New Segment" then select your "User" folder and you will see the new segment with whatever name you chose. Initially, it will not have a picture of the actual segment, you can modify the bitmap for that or you can just let it go. I choose to let it go and just recall it by name. Select that segment and make a room.

(NOTE: One other thing to remember is the sound your new segment will make. I'm not sure of all the numbers, but I do know that 0 is stone and 3 is metal. For the purpose of this segment you don't have to change it. But if you were to use a segment that was originally metal and you don't want it to be metal again, you need to change the "materialindex0 = " number from 3 to 0. Do this for each "materialindex = " in the fps file.)

The next two posts will show you the before and after.... enjoy

LIFE: "That thing that happens to us when we are too young to die"
~V.J.C. 2003

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
Original Room

~V.J.C. 2003

Attachments

Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
New Room

~V.J.C. 2003

Attachments

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 20:41
Nice tut. Will come in useful for all those that didn't get the segment creator

Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
and also for those who have trouble using Segment Creator as well

~V.J.C. 2003
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 04:18
nice tutorial !

www.hotpointhosting.com
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 08:53
@Cruise McClarren: thats what i meant I meant didn't get how to use it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 14:36:49
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 14:36:49