Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Lasers (Or rockets) that actually show in DBPro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 09:49
Well, I don't like the idea of using the INTERSECT OBJECT command, because it doesn't actually show the object you are shooting.

Sure, bullets go faster then the speed of sound, but rockets and lasers can actually show.

Basically, I want a sphere to be able to shoot out smaller spheres infinitely, but I can shoot as many spheres as I like, and they will show, and not just be one laser, but multiple.

How can this be done?

Who will die first?
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 04:00 Edited at: 17th May 2007 04:01
you can do that, you just need to set a range for the shots, or a have set place were the splode.

theres probably an easier way to do this, but i make it show mathimaticly, there can never be more than around 15 shots at one time. then wehen the shots run out of range, or hit somthing, they delete semselfs. once the last is deleted, it recycles. hard to explain, read the code.

and then i would have somthing like this for every shot. the example i gave is from a would be raptor call of the shadows sytle game were your shots delete themselves after leving the screen.
I put the collsion for enemy objects in another fnion btw

EDIT: oops i put more than i needed to in the first code. the st variable is time before you can shoot again. in the main loop, it is subtracting itself repeatly.

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
for rockets you'd need to specify a range to see if an object is near enough to a object then send it there, otherwise it may go straight through

for lazers just do what snall said

[link]"http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/user/Dared1111/" my account on GGE[\link]
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 19:14
The best and tried / true method:

- Make an educated guess at how many rockets you *think* will be airborn, on average, at any given time.

- Create a dynamic array to store all rockets.

- Create x number of slots using a loop, instancing rocket objects, and providing the relevant info for the slot in the form of a UDT (rocketObj, x#,y#,z#, ox#,oy#,oz#, launchtime#, active). X = the guessed number from step 1.

- Once all of the initial rocket data has been loaded, create a free_rocket() function that goes through the entire array, checking to see if a rocket's active flag is set to 0. If true, return the free index found. If there are no free rockets (they're all active), create a new entry in the array at the top or bottom, whichever you prefer, and set it's data. You'll want a free_object() function as well to get a free object number for the newly created rocket.

- When you get the free rocket, orient it to the gun's position / angle, and set it's active flag to 1, and it's launchtime# to TIMER(). Then show the rocket.

- Cycle through all array slots in the rocket array, checking if the current slot is active. If so, store the rocket's old x#,y#,z# variables as it's current position, move the rocket forward at whatever speed you want, and find the new x#, y#, z# positions. Then cast an intersection check from the old coords to the new ones, checking for intersection with the map and any enemies.

- If the map is hit, if the rocket's index in the rocket array is greater than the guessed number of rockets needed at the beginning, remove the rocket's index / delete the rocket object. If it isnt greater, just set the rocket's active flag to 0 and hide it.

- If an enemy is hit, do the same check for if a map is hit, except damage the enemy.

- Check if the time elapsed since the rocket was launched is greater than x amount of seconds, and if so, repeat the step from if the map is hit. This stops rockets from travelling into the sky infinitely. Alternatively, you can do a collision check with the sky sphere. The first method is faster / more efficient however.

- You'll want a kill_rocket(obj) function that plays an explosion effect / delete's the rocket object that you can call in any of the above circumstances (remember to take into account the check in the step for if the map is hit).

Creating / instancing objects at runtime can cause lag, which is why you want to load an initial guess of how many rockets you think will be airborn at any time before runtime. Then, the system only loads / deletes rocket objects if it's absolutely necessary.

There are calculations you can do to figure out how many rockets you'll need in the game, I just forget what the formula is. It involves taking into account the max players in the game, the delay time between rocket shots (assuming you cant fire every rocket right after each other instantly), the speed the rockets move, the time rockets have to be airborn before self destructing, etc.

You'll notice raycasting is still used in this case, in order to make sure a collision is detected, no matter how fast the rocket moves.

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 05:25
I don't know arrays at all.

Anyone know where a good tutorial or something on them is?

Who will die first?
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 02:29

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:46:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:46:02