Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / remake of snow island need help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 22:05 Edited at: 15th May 2007 22:13
hey all I been helping a good friend of mine for a good while on a project that came out a couple years back. we are going back at it again for a graphics revamp and expansion of the overall game design/project. I have found myself overwhelmed with the project and I am asking for able bodied people who can model, texture, or animate as it is better to work in a team. The engine is DB GDK which will allow for some interesting coding ( which my friend will take care of) I am spearheading the graphics/design side of the project with my friend as he is nearing end of his schooling in the UK which allow us with alot more time to dedicate to this game. I hae here some renders, and models of the game.

I am hoping to achieve a high level of detail in this game while optimizing performance (where my friend comes in with his coding prowess) which will include normalmapped textures/models, specular mapping, occlusion/lightmapping. I hope these renders will speak for themselves in what I am hoping to achieve all this work has been done by me from scratch. in its early stages but on its way to becoming very good. if you wish to join the team by all means dont hesitate to contact me at this point or through my email terravelo@gmail.com with your 'qualifications" and any samples you may have to show your talent. I thank you for your time and hope you enjoy the renders.

[/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 22:31
Those are some class looking screenshots and renders there I wish you all the best on the project.

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 23:07 Edited at: 15th May 2007 23:09
It seems that you'll need a portal culling code.
The screens are great.

[/center]
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 02:11 Edited at: 16th May 2007 02:14
here is a new model i made in last 2 hours.

[img][/img]
although db has incredible performance characteristics with C+programming/plugins (GDK VERsion) I am going to optimize it so dont sweat the polys. should be able to get down.but DB will still have good performance already tried it and fairs well even in the 50,000-70,000 polys range and 200mb texture loads.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 04:28
Looking great! I played the orignal Snow Island, while the gameplay was a bit iffy I can see this should be great. Good luck

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 04:54 Edited at: 16th May 2007 04:55
thanx for the encouraging comments.i actualyl have a person writing the a upgraded and expanded story arc for the game. I will be hard at work addressing the next set of screens to be updated which bring further areas of the compound to life. Making my to do list on what needs to be addressed currently. right now developing the skeleton of the compound for the demo in which the player is inside the compound. i should have a major update in next few hours of a completely revamped Gene fusion facility. will be a sight too see. Oh and yeah, i got the Hk SLS-1 down to just under 1500 polys so major drop, but still looks just as good.next step will put new textures on the gun. anyway thats it for now. ill be back with update in next few hours woth the GF facility
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 08:10
as promised i got a concept render of the new Genefusion facility main entrance. very rough right now, but the wya im thinking it starts of nice looking and gets really bad as u go in and discover what has happened on the island. (see above renders) will have more soon. just wanted to post this render.[img]null[/img][img][/img]
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 08:59
wow looking great i wish you the best of lucky. I must say them thaer... textures are nice.

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 13:45 Edited at: 16th May 2007 13:51
thanx shadow here is a video of the game footage.this room holds about 4,300 polys. had some very good performance as u can see by the smooth framerate. texture load i believe is roughly 20 mb maybe less. I used GDK, Darkshader and GILES for lightmapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1QkFyL-BE
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 12:01 Edited at: 17th May 2007 13:44
got a small update. showing the level from birds eye view.without the cieling. im doing a modular design. essentially im making all the areas boxed off then merging them. more efficient this way i think. i could be wrong but so far its coming along great. let me know what u think ill update later on.

[img][/img]

this is hallway where a explosive went off or some explosive weapon was used. in any event it cuase some dmg as you can see.
[img][/img]

also here is the hands of the player.(untextured and unrigged at the moment)
[img][/img]
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
looking good

[link]"http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/user/Dared1111/" my account on GGE[\link]
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 01:40
looking good. you bumped mapped everything looking good. the graphics are as really good. usually when I see a video the size smaller makes the games in FPSC look like they have antialiasing alot. when I watched yours it already had it and it made it look even better!

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 11:54 Edited at: 18th May 2007 11:56
thank you very much for all your encouraging posts. I am glad you guys approve of the look and feel so far. I got alot planned on the next week or so which should add a dramatic amount of content and growth to the overall structure of the level I am planning to design. I plan on designing and modeling one of the "species" you come across in the game. Needless to say its going to be a major departure from what you seen in the first game with a raptor dino and a 4 legged alien thing. ill have that completed very soon.I will have the M4A1 SOP rifle textured very soon and in game asap.

I will then incorporate ammo boxes/lockers (think rainbow 6 las vegas and doom 3) some u can open and some need passcodes (still planning the strategic/gameplay important and usefulness of such a feature.) I will also be developing a special elemental weapon used later down the line. I will have that done soon. well thats all for now. I should have something early as 5/18 friday night NYC time 9pm-12am. so check back soon.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 16:25
nice! this looks like it is coming along quite nicely!

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 05:00
here is some early concept sketches of genetic specimens that are running amuck inthe island.

these are early concepts so they are subject to change I merely wanted a consensus on them so I know which direction to go.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 05:25
wow looks good, i like the bugs the creatures.

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 06:03
here is a sampled sound of a bullcrawler attacking. still in early stages but working on the sounds. hope ya like. some of the sound cuts off cause im using a freeware sound editor and cant figure out how to stop at the end. oh well i think i have a copy of soundforge on my laptop i believe. either way, hope ya like. let me know what u think.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 06:45
here is the podsnake model
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 07:39
looks wonderful, keep up the good work.

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 12:48 Edited at: 19th May 2007 13:05
here is a new weapon its called a PLASMA-ION LAUNCHER PROTOTYPE

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 12:57
Ur Modelling skills are really great!

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 15:30
thanx bro appreciate the compliments. Im busting my butt for the last few nights here. kinda hard to solo a game. but IM a trooper. the offer still stands if anyone is interested in assisting. in any event back towork got a whole weekend to make a grab bag of goodies to display.
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 02:03 Edited at: 20th May 2007 02:04
This looks rather nice, i'd be willing to offer my help, if you send me an email i'd be glad to talk things through with you, i can send some work over to show you what i can do aswell.

I may only get a few nights to work on this though as i've started teaching again and its proving more of a handful than i remember...

If i can point something out too.
You can really clean that mesh up a lot, get rid of some triangles and make it much nicer for Unwrapping.

Just a few pointers, i made the lines red that i would get rid of, it may be a bit overkill to get rid of them all, but the bit i have circled definately needs some cleaning up. Just a few things i noticed, i personally would fix it but its totally up for you, if you do think about it logically though, that part of the weapon will only really be seen during a reloading animation or as the item on the floor, as it will be off the bottom of the screen or covered up by a part of a hand.

[Looking for work]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 07:39 Edited at: 20th May 2007 07:45
true was aware of that. actually i completely redid the main stock from scratch already, as I noticed that too. i reused the high end HK SLS1model stock for rapid implementation but felt id be better off redoing it from scratch so i cut down like 20-25% more polys easily. did the same with the M4A1 as well so its alot cleaner

whats ya email? Oolite or in fact just throw me an email or contact me via msn as I have it on my im icons there
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 08:46
Wow, looking very good right now . Awesome modeling (guns and levels) . Good luck with this.

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 13:55
My email address is

Adambiles22[at aol.com]

I rarely use AIM and msn so its not the best place for me, drop me an email soon.

Cheers

[Looking for work]
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 13:00
hey oolite your email doesnt work bro. keeps doing mailer deamon. is ya email working? let me know thanks i had some reference images I wanted you to do for me.
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 13:09
I need help from anyone who can uvmap/texture this gun for me. I am focusing on the level design and content workflow right now and I have a hardtime texturing a gun right. i can model them good, just find it a bit difficult to make a gun look proper. is there anyone can do it for me. You will get credit on the game and your name on the game for particpation. thank you in advance. this is the most updated model.

[img][/img]
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 14:03
The models look nice but you need to optimize them before you start any UV mapping or skinning. Look at the scope mount in your latest screenshot, it looks like you have five stacks too many, same goes for the frame, you could either manually weld useless verts together or use some poly reducer on it to fix these issues without any loss in visual quality. Also I'm not sure from that angle but it looks like the scope would see nothing but the front ironsight based on its current height.

The WA 2000? rifle looks nice, however you still have far too many stacks on that, especially near the butt and the handle of it looks far too wide for a hand to grip.

Anyway good work so far.

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 16:34 Edited at: 22nd May 2007 16:35
im thinking of doign away with the scop,most likely putting a small one on that is similar to an ACOG sight. yeah ur correct on the ironsight issue i corrected that. as far as the stock for the HKSLS1 the poly issues are dealt with. ill reduce the polys on the mainstock see whatcha think.

and i of course appreciate the critisms, anything that keeps me on point will be good.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
This is incredible stuff I wish you all the best with this project. I enjoyed seeing the original snow island developed to.

The admiral
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2007 11:59
The admiral

Look at the date of the last post. This thread is over 3 months old and I doubt the project is still being developed.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2007 15:55
I got a 3 years old thread and my project is still being developed.

[/center]
SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 03:33 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2007 03:38
yeah i kinda put this one to rest for a bit as I had practically no help. and Im working on a professional project now. we still want to develop it further but bills gotta be paid, and other priorities are more important at this point. I am thinking at one point to turn this into a commercial project(would ask my friend kevin for permission first beforehand) as Im talking some friends who know a few investors so never know about hte possibility of Snowisland using Unreal 3 engine FPS

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:32:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:32:34