Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Best RTS ground type for units / buildings

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 08:10
What would the best RTS ground be, for moveable units and buildings to be put on.

Would it be:
1) Advanced terrain
2) A matrix
3) A static mesh (model exported from a program)
4) Or a different one.

Thank you for your time,
-inv

Lawl
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 15:25
Probably 1 or 2. I would consider 3 too incase you wants mountains and stuff, but they could just be entities on a terrain.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 15:38
I would use something you could edit. Think about when you place a building, you'll probably want the area to be flat when placing it.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 16:49
RTS games are the only games I really enjoy playing - either in space or on the ground. C&C, AOE - any will do and I've been known to play them for 30+ hours at a stretch!

So, it's the one type of game I'd like to write myself.

But there are so many things I'm not good at - like model animations - I've just not bothered trying.

Now if a community RTS project was started - in DBC or DBPro, I for one would love to get involved.

But, the problems with CP's are organisation, discipline and commitment. No-one ever likes how they are organised and people are never properly committed to the task, dropping out or failing to do their tasks.

Now if they could be overcome...

TDK_Man

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 16:16
The trick is to have a group leader. He basically compiles everything together. People give him code snippets, models, animations, everything, then he has to understand how these work and program them into to the main source. That way we follow one person's organisation, but with the help of lots of other people, without falling apart.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 20:32
i recomend an matrix as its really simple to have control and manipulate it.
and the ground dosent have to be as detailed for an rts as an fps so the simple matrix works yust fine.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 20:49
Quote: "and the ground dosent have to be as detailed for an rts as an fps"

I was thinking the opposite.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 21:48 Edited at: 19th May 2007 21:49
I would use AT for the terrain..it's no thing to go in to photoshop or other like programs and edit the .bmp file. The key to it is, is remembering the large landmarks or a better term the different color blobs I would be interested in creating terrains for an RTS project if the opportunity were to arise.

Cheers,
Dave

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:42:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:42:15