Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Speedball

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 22:43 Edited at: 7th Aug 2007 14:16
* Latest Info *

*Full version nearing release*

15 of the 15 courses have been made.
112 levels made, 8 of which appear a second time in a bonus course.

- Not done
- Ideas
- Working on!
- Done

Webpage : Click here

Music and sound effects
Options menu
Objectives
High scores
Bonus levels
Courses
Game Engine
Scoring
Main Menu

New screenshots coming soon

* Original Post *

Over the last week I started work on a new game - speedball! It's fairly simple, just aim the ball so that it enters the goal area on the other side of the level without falling through holes in the side or at the back.

Screenshots:

The graphics in those pics are temporary and they'll probably be changed sometime soon. Demo coming pretty soon

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 00:19 Edited at: 19th May 2007 00:22
Here is the demo - the first 8 levels in the game Please post any comments and improvements here.

Just one question, which scoring system do you feel will better suit the game?
(1) A golf style system where you have to use the lowest number of balls / aims possible.
(2) A normal lives system where you have 10 (or something) lives.

Controls:
Use the mouse to aim
Press space to shoot the ball

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/1/579583/Speedball.zip

Xlaydos
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice game , Please lose the annoying red text which makes you wait everytime you die, and give a option to cancel the ball midflight if it gets stuck in a loop .
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 05:26
looks good.

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 22:10 Edited at: 20th May 2007 22:11
Xlaydos: Thanks I'll take your advice on board about the red text and the ball in midflight.

Shadow heart: Thanks, there'll be more coming soon

The game will comprise of a series of 8 level long courses and over the next week I will hopefully put a menu into the game as well as music, sound effects and better graphics There shall be a new version of the game coming soon.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 00:19
A golf style system would be interesting - it would stand out amoungst a crowd of games that use the other system.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 02:34
I played it and must say beat level 8 and is really nice. It's really nice and fun. r u going to add textures to the bars? EiTheRR way it looks good.

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 14:10 Edited at: 28th May 2007 14:38
New Demo - [href]http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/1/579583/Speedball%20v0.2.zip [/href]

This one has 3 courses in it (Including the 1st one). I ended up adding a menu to the game but the graphics haven't changed. With this version I was going for content rather than visual quality.

Quote: "A golf style system would be interesting"

Yeah, I ended up going for a golf style system because it offers more possibilities and is more original than just having lives. For example, an extra possibility is that you can set objectives such as "win without using more than 10 shots"

Quote: "r u going to add textures to the bars?"

Good question I'm not sure at the moment but I probably will add textures to the levels at some point.

Another screensot:

Speedball - WIP post: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106537&b=8
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 13:31
mant taht demo was real fun. if u mae this a few years ago it could of been in the puzzle game comp. lol. anwyay it wa reaaaaaaal fun

good job keep it up i reallly like the idea of teh ball getting red hot to avoid a ball boucing in teh same spot over and over

blahb ba blah
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 15:26
That was really good, I thoroughly enjoyed the demo and loved your project, I dont care about that graphics because thats awesome gameplay!

for the question on the demo, I would say a lives based style but its up to you

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 23:51
Thanks I'm still working on this project and so far there are about 7 courses with lots more fun obstacles and levels It's hard to tell when this game will be released but it will probably be August.

Seeing as this thread is once again active maybe I will post some new screenshots soon

As for the lives based style suggestion, thanks for the suggestion however it has been about 2 months now since I made my mind up for a golf scoring system so I will probably keep things the same for now

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:36
oh, sorry I was so interested in the game I didn't realise...

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 19:51
All of the screenshots already on this post and four new ones have been put on the WIP page of my site, GamingColosseum Web. I shall add some more stuff to the page when I have the opportuntiy, so don't hesitate to check out the site for new images of the game

Kieran, don't worry about apologizing It's still helpful to recieve new comments or ideas for improvement

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 01:22
Wow, what a great idea... just a bit frustrating because it just seems to be a question of luck which pixel you hit. Looking forward to play the other curses, good luck.

Visit the DBPro - Speed up your game-Thread. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88661&b=1
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 02:14
yeah good luck. looking forward for it's realease

haha lets rock this world.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 02:46 Edited at: 12th Jul 2007 02:48
I was watching the picture slideshow, and on the first few slides I was just thinking "yeah yeah looks the same as before and easy enough..." but as the slideshow wore on my reactions changed to this: "OMG lots of work was done on this! What are those red and blue things??? Ahhhh so complex!!!

Anyway looks great. If you added textures it would look even greater. Oh, and 64 levels is a REALLY high number . This game will take a loonnnggg time to beat. My game doesn't have nearly as many. How did you make them so fast...

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 19:07
Quote: "Wow, what a great idea... just a bit frustrating because it just seems to be a question of luck which pixel you hit. Looking forward to play the other curses, good luck."

Thanks I know what you mean about hitting the right pixel, but to be honest so far I think course 2 is the only course to be annoying in this way as there are a lot of incredibly tough levels in there. Later on (beyond course 3) you have to rely a bit less on accuracy and a bit more on timing so if you found that kind of aiming frustrating, it won't be so bad later on, hopefully

Quote: "yeah good luck. looking forward for it's realease"

Thanks Shadow Heart The release should hopefully be sometime this summer. Most likely in August.

Quote: "I was watching the picture slideshow, and on the first few slides I was just thinking "yeah yeah looks the same as before and easy enough..." but as the slideshow wore on my reactions changed to this: "OMG lots of work was done on this! What are those red and blue things??? Ahhhh so complex!!!"

I think there is pretty much a new thing on every course, (spiky things, those rotating things, the red and blue cubes etc.). the first screenshots - from very early on - all pretty much look the same, however as you go through the game, there'll be more and more new things and challenges There are a couple of the new ones that I especially like, although they look exciting.

Quote: "Anyway looks great. If you added textures it would look even greater. Oh, and 64 levels is a REALLY high number . This game will take a loonnnggg time to beat. My game doesn't have nearly as many. How did you make them so fast..."

Now that I think about it, 64 is a big number And this is only 8 courses (there will be 15 overall). These levels are made with data commands and are then converted into an array so I can easily save them as a .dat file with the project. That's probably the reason why I can make them so quickly As soon as I come up with a level idea - I can write it down easily in this way:

Then it's made into a .dat file and it can then be loaded and made into a level by the program. And that can happen in as little as 5-10 minutes. So I guess it's all to do with the way I have chosen to make the levels.

Anyway, I sort of rambled on just there. Texture wise, would it be better to keep the games surrent "retro" feel - with black, white, blue and red shapes or would textures and other graphical effects be the way to go. If I choose textures I have a good idea of what to do

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 22:01
*Bump*/update:

* 11/15 courses completed *
* 4 more screenshots added to slideshow *

Click the image link below for the slideshow Some of the old screenshots had to be removed because of photobuckets "slideshow limits".

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 23:43
Wow looks like it's polished well. Great work from the screenies. When you plan on releasing demo?

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 02:20
Good game! It feels quite trial and error, but it's still satisfying to play.
I also like how you used a self extracting 7zip archive. I think i'll copy you with that.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 09:00
Nice, but for some reason I was expecting a game like this...

j/k

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 22:25
Thanks for all the comments

Quote: "Wow looks like it's polished well. Great work from the screenies. When you plan on releasing demo?"

Thanks I have already released a demo, it can be found at [href=http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/1/579583/Speedball%20v0.2.zip ]http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/1/579583/Speedball%20v0.2.zip [/href] I will probably release another demo soon because that demo is quite old and doesn't have any of the new objects in it.

Quote: "I also like how you used a self extracting 7zip archive. I think i'll copy you with that."

7zip is great and the self extracting archives are really good too. 7zip is very good at compressing big files.

Quote: "Nice, but for some reason I was expecting a game like this..."

I found out about that game just last week It was kind of annoying to realise that the name "Speedball" had already been used for a game but it shouldn't matter too much I first saw the game in a 'review' on youtube last week, it's kind of amusing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAK0OfB2P1o

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 18:15 Edited at: 28th Jul 2007 18:17
New demo: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/1/579583/Speedball%20-%20sample%20course.zip

It is a random selection of 8 levels from the newer courses, mostly the ones you haven't yet been able to play. Controls are the same and the only difference is that the game has an fps rate on screen (from testing the game, I forgot to remove it ).

There are quite a lot of new objects and obstacles in this one because these are newer courses that the levels are from. So here's a quick key:

Well that's it for demo's if you've played the first two demos then you have already played the first 3 courses in the game and with these 8 you will have played around 20% of the levels to appear in the full version. From this point onwards, you'll have to wait for the full version of Speedball to come out

Anyway, hope you enjoy the demo! I need to continue work on course 12 - that should be done by tomorrow That's the incredible advantage of the summer holidays.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 01:02 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 01:02
Nice. I did it in one balls. By clicking the right mouse button. Remember to disable this in the final version!
It would be cool if you could fire the ball by clicking the mouse too as an alternative to pressing the spacebar. Think of all the one handed players. (I don't mean like that)
Level 7 seemed impossible. The ball turns blue, and can't get through the red wall. The ball goes through the wall when you start running out of time, but then you seem to run out of time as the ball leaves through the exit. Maybe you intended the wall to be blue?

FORUM TOPIC
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 10:30
Thanks for the feedback Mr Tank

Quote: "Nice. I did it in one balls. By clicking the right mouse button. Remember to disable this in the final version!"

Whoops That was just something I added so that when the game was tested I could go to a specific level quickly. I forgot to remove that feature I'll make sure I remove it from the full version.

Quote: "It would be cool if you could fire the ball by clicking the mouse too as an alternative to pressing the spacebar. Think of all the one handed players. (I don't mean like that)"

Sure, I'll add that if it makes things easier/better for some players. That way you have the option of how to shoot the ball.

Quote: "Level 7 seemed impossible."

Let me investigate this

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 18:42 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 19:00
I tried level 7 on my computer and it was possible... however it is not one of the best levels I have made.

edit: Ah, the problem is the fps, I was using fraps just now to make a quick movie showing you how I did it, but because fraps more than halves the fps while filming, the ball moved at a slower rate and so the level became extremely impossible. What is your fps when running the game? (Thank goodness I left that fps counter in after all).

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 20:05
You should really make the gameplay independent of the framerate. You just need to make sure the game timer runs at the same speed as the game physics. If you're using Newton then you should be careful- i seem to remember the newtonupdate timestep used has a lower limit- if you specify a lower timestep it'll just use the lower limit instead. Seem to remember this wasn't really documented and i only found out from someone else after having a load of trouble due to this..
Anyhow my framerate is 50fps, but i have firefox running at the same time. Level still impossible.

FORUM TOPIC
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 22:20
My fps is 66, that explains it, your ball must be moving at a slower rate than mine. I'll sort this bug out tonight.

Shouldn't be as big a problem as when the game just stopped working for an entire month

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 23:44
Problem solved The movement/rotation of the ball and obstacles are now independant from the frame rate.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 04:25
That was quick! You rule.

FORUM TOPIC
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 12:51
Quote: "That was quick! You rule."

I do indeed Although it wasn't too big a problem to sort out

I'm still unsure whether to stay with the current graphical style or go for something different, but I'll sort that out after the courses have all been done.

* 12/15 courses completed *

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:20