Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hiding stuff out of fov

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 01:06
K well, I have a bunch of objects in my game and its really startin to slow down. So i was wonderin, If I hid EVERYTHING that wasnt in my FOV, would it make my game run faster? And how would I do that. I searched the help thing for a while, but all I came up with was set FOV and that wasnt muh help. Thanks for the advice.
Sup Kids
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 01:33
there's an object on screen check command, I don't know what it is off the top of my head but i'll check, and it tells you if an object is visible and not behind any other objects. You could use that and hide object to acomplish this task...

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
haXor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 02:00
now that I think about it, I dont know if that would work, cuz I may have a group of trees together, and when I look at the trees, it slows down, and when I look away from them it speeds up. So would that really be the way to solve it?

Sup Kids
haXor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 02:09
jesus, i checked my fps, and ig to down to 15 when looking at a huge clump of trees! now i really cant have that!

Sup Kids
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 23:50
Try this:
for n="first object" to "last object"
if object exists(n)
vis=object visible (n)
if vis = 0 then hide object n
else
show object n
endif
endif
next n

not sure it will make you gain many fps tho
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 00:04
check the number of polys on ur tree, maybe u need to reduce them anyways i don't think the fov stuff you where talking about would help much 'cus since the objects are not visible on screen (not rendered), they are kinda virtually hidden (i think). what u need to do is maybe have a circular perimeter around your main character and anything outside is hidden while everything inside is visible it's been done loadsa times just scan the forum

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
haXor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 01:01
k well the trees were a lil 2 high in polys, im not gunna say what they were cuz I would look like the dumbest person ever. lol. but yah the problem was there were way to many polys

Sup Kids
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 01:26
a gazzillian polygons if you do reduce them and still have speed issues i'll be more that happy to list out loads of ways to increase ur fps speed

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 01:37
you can still speed up the fps rate by...

for a=1 to [# of objects]
If object exist(a)=1
If object in screen(a)=1 and object visible(a)=0 then show object a
If object in screen(a)=0 and object visible(a)=1 then hide object a
Endif
next a

this should speed up you fps rate by 2 to 5...also if you have fog then set the camera distance to 10 or so more than the fog distance...this will also speed up the fps rates...well...hope this helps...

Anyone Can Destroy...But Few Can Create...
sicjoshsic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 01:53
there's a post somewhere, it'll be on either page 1 or 2, its quite new, where somebody else was trying different ways of speeding the game up. the topic is "two seperate slow down issues", you should look there, it was quite detailed and it worked.

incase you can't find it, i said in it (i think it worked) you just make sure that the fog is turned on, the Set Camera View only goes a couple of hundred behind the fog, then anything that is in the fog (that you wouldn't see anyway) you hide, until it nears the end of the fog and you show it again.
you just need to come up with a way of finding the distance objects are away from you.
you could also expand it so that if an object is between 100 and 260 degrees from you, you hide it, as it would be behind you so you can't see it anyway

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 09:50:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 09:50:49