Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / M.a.r.s Work in Progress

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 16:12 Edited at: 6th Aug 2007 20:40
Scroll down for level 2 download and screenshots.

mutated. androphilic. radioactive. slaves.

Thats what this game is all about. In a post world war 3 world, terrorist groups that were involved in the war are forced to pay severe reparations to the affected countries. But one group slips under the radar and goes into exile brooding over the war. They develop the ultimate weapon, the m.a.r.s. drone. A human-like figure that is embedded in the natural population to spread disease and wreak havoc in place of the terrorists themselves. Essentially, they are biological time bombs. You are the newly promoted commander of a group designated to track and destroy the terrorists and m.a.r.s. drones.

So far the first level is complete. The first level is a complete tutorial level for those not familiar with the fpsc control scheme. It's boring, drab, and completely useless to all the people here but it needs to be critiqued anyway. You can grab the installer at http://www.zshare.net/download/mars-level-1-install-exe.html

Here's some screenshots from level 2 with a download link.

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/200841/MARS2Compiled-exe.html

The story on this level is this: At the end of the first level, a raid on your base began and your training officer was killed. Now you're being given new orders to repel the intruders.

"I will work harder... if you ask me enough times... or give me enough coffee"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Strelok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 16:17
looking good
I can't test the first lvl yet...
Bill Bailey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 18:16
I'm gonna have a wild guess: you have used the Conker models for the M.A.R.S drones and the model pack 1 sawt team for the terrorists. And while im at it why do i think that signs and lighting could of be used better.
But anyway it looks good and the story line is intriguing.

fear incarnate
Fiberfrag
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree, I like it to... Looks good so far. Keep up the good work...

Fiberfrag

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 22:51
good storyline, and other than the soldier being edited in after, it looks bland.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 23:44
No it just looks like that I think because the light doesn't effect him because he's dynamic.

Programmer of Power
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 18:55 Edited at: 6th Aug 2007 20:39
Alright, thanks for the comments and concerns. I'm not exactly sure how to make the light affect the soldier. Is there anyway to do that by changing the soldier or do I have to make the lights dynamic? Currently the lights are just part of the ambience level.

Programmer of Power
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 04:54 Edited at: 4th Aug 2007 05:48
Alright, I uploaded a new download link with several fixes to the level. Tell me what you think of the current version.

Edit...

(A quick secret. Somewhere towards the beginning of the level there's a key to a door in the armory for some extra glaive ammo)

Grunge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 20:00
Looks good! I can't find any downloads to ones other than MultiPlayer so this will rock! I've been looking for a good one for long time now. I sense this being the good one!

(\__/)
(^.^ ) Grunge Studio! Go Now!
(> < ) http://www.freewebs.com/grungestudio
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 01:07
Quote: "No it just looks like that I think because the light doesn't effect him because he's dynamic."

This statement isn't entirely accurate. You can have dynamic entities e.g. characters react to different coloured lights in the desired fashion. See below

Quote: "'m not exactly sure how to make the light affect the soldier. Is there anyway to do that by changing the soldier or do I have to make the lights dynamic? Currently the lights are just part of the ambience level."

I just posted this in another thread but for your and Inspire's benfit:

In order to achieve the per pixel lighting effect seen in the screenshot with the Conker character model.

Ensure that you have 'Full shader effects' checked in the build preferences / settings and ensure you have set the 'effect' field to 'bumpbone.fx' in the character entity properties within the FPSC map editor.

Providing your graphics card supports pixel shaders you will see this effect in your own games. This works in the same way for all character models.

I've attached a screenshot which demonstrates this effect. You will need to play around with your lighting to get the exact intensity desired.

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 01:08
Here is a screenshot which shows how you can use this to get your game characters to react to different coloured lights dynamically.

Have fun and keep up the good work!

Attachments

Programmer of Power
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 04:06 Edited at: 5th Aug 2007 04:59
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the great advice. As a sidenote though, that only applies to user-inserted lighting, ambient lighting appears to have no affect on the texture mapping.

Once again, thanks. I'll change the level from ambient light to inserted lights to increase the quality.

Edit: Alright, I changed the lighting and updated the screenshot in the first post. It still looks a bit strange becaue a little too blue but it might just be my computer.

Programmer of Power
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 20:44
Alright. I fixed up the first post with the screenies and both level download links. Will get some more up soon.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 22:53
The ambient lighting should apply if shaders are off I've never had much luck with shaders, though a lot of people do...

Vote today and play the games!
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 00:07
Quote: "Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the great advice"

You're welcome!. I tend not to use shaders in my games as theres a number of people on the forums with graphics cards which don't support them. When X10 is on the scene this won't be an issue as the minimum spec will have full shader support.

Seeing the shaders used in E.L.E has kind of changed my mind on this a little though.

Quote: "As a sidenote though, that only applies to user-inserted lighting, ambient lighting appears to have no affect on the texture mapping."

Thanks for the sidenote. I've been trying to develop my recent levels using only manual lighting with minimal ambience so I didn't pick up on this.

Quote: "The ambient lighting should apply if shaders are off I've never had much luck with shaders, though a lot of people do..."

Well I guess you'll have to make your mind up either way then. Cool effects on characters with more work required in the lighting of your environment or no shaders and a bit less hassle.

At least you've got the choice now anyway!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-16 23:32:22
Your offset time is: 2024-06-16 23:32:22