Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / NEWB NEWB NEWB question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 04:51
Alright, we are making a game for computer programming using DBPro right, we are working on the bacteriabash game. Well i have 3dsmax8, so i made a map. i used the whole, working "inside the box" idea. Well i can load the level, but it doesnt work right. I cant texture it plus i cant make collision w/ it. someone plz help me, this is due tomorrow >.< and it counts as my exam. i've tried "load bitmap "imgaes/BB_Bitmap.bmp", 1" and that somehow works. but when i tried texture object 3001 (which is the model), 1 and it just goes A-wall and says that the image doesnt exist. can someone gimme a hand here?.....plz?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 08:49
Load Image - not Load Bitmap.

That's why it tells you the image doesn't exist - because you're loading it into a bitmap!

TDK_Man

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 12:30
I found this confusing at first - there really should be a finer line between IMAGES and BITMAPS. It's too easy to mess this up.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 12:54
And collision is painful .

E.D.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 18:09
Quote: "I found this confusing at first - there really should be a finer line between IMAGES and BITMAPS. It's too easy to mess this up."

I always thought that the word 'Bitmap' in Load Bitmap, Set Current Bitmap etc. should be 'Screen'.

Create Screen 1,800,600
Load Screen "MyPic.jpg",1
Set Current Screen 0

... all make a lot more sense!

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 20:14
Quote: "I don't think so"

You are entitled to your own opinion.

If you think a Bitmap (which can also be an image) isn't an image in DB isn't confusing to a newcomer then fine.

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 05:08
Quote: "What part of "might be confusing to some people" was it that you didn't understand?"

What makes you think I didn't understand any of it?

I was addressing the fact that you quoted me saying "all make a lot more sense!" and you retorted with "I don't think so."

You are saying they don't make more sense. Why I'm not quite sure.

When for many years the primary Windows standard for images has been the .BMP Bitmap file, it's not surprising that many newcomers will think that the Load Bitmap command will load a bitmap image.

Quote: "if you think that changing the command would be better than just telling newcomers to read the manual"

I'm not suggesting that anything is changed, I'm suggesting that when newcomers see the 'Load Bitmap' command they should read it as 'Load Screen' as it makes it easier to understand what it actually does.

Quote: "newcomers need to learn the correct terms"

If Lee had used the word 'Screen' instead of Bitmap, 'Screen' would have been the correct term, newcomers wouldn't have been confused and this conversation wouldn't be taking place!

TDK_Man

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 05:39
Quote: " 'Screen' would have been the correct term"

Not necessarily, a bitmap is meant to be a modifiable image, it doesn't have to necessarily be a screen.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 07:56
Quote: "Not necessarily, a bitmap is meant to be a modifiable image, it doesn't have to necessarily be a screen."

I know.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough.

All I'm saying is that for newcomers to DB, the DB Bitmap can be confused with the Windows Bitmap image format. It's quite common for them to load an image into a bitmap and then expect to be able to Paste the image - just as the OP actually did.

It can be a little confusing at first - as someone else commented on a little later in this thread.

I'm not saying that the commands should be renamed or anything - just that newcomers could maybe think of a DB Bitmap as though it was a screen - that's all.

I know that strictly speaking you load an image into one of the bitmaps and can then grab images from it with Get Image or add to it with the drawing commands.

But then, from a newcomers perspective, what's an Image - if a Bitmap is an image?

Although a bitmap isn't strictly a screen I know, I think it helps for a beginner to think of one as a hidden 'screen' which contains an image from which you can grab an image.

The important thing is that when you load an image using the Load Bitmap command you can't treat that image as a DB Image. But if you think of it as loading an image into a screen, you know that you haven't got a usable image yet - you just have a hidden screen which you need to grab the image from, before you can use it.

As Bitmap 0 is the screen you are looking at, I just think it's an easy way to get your head around how a bitmap is actually used.

If anyone finds that more confusing - which I totally accept - they don't have to think of it like that.

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:57:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:57:45