Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / A Very unhappy camper

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just purchased Dark Basic 1.12 yesterday for $69.95. Now I find that there is a Dark Basic Pro for the same price and the version I have is bug city - worst bug is a total lock up when I try to change mode from editor to other on an XP system with an Radeon 8500. This messes up my whole system and I have to reboot. The computer store wants to charge me a 15% restock fee and I am a seasoned programmer. i.e. since 1978. I was very excited about this software and think it addresses a really important area of programming now that 3d 1st ps are the rage.

I want my MTV.. no I mean - I want a decent working version of DB and I don't want to pay a $60 upgrade fee for what I just bought yesterday. This is the only really negative message I have posted in a forum for 15 years.

We have have a megagame from our company Crystalware (a legend) and would like to use this package to do it. Sleepless in Silicon Valley

jbmichaels
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2002 01:03
where the hell did you buy it for that much??
also what shop retails 1.12???
i thought that they only have 1.08 on full retail right now, i mean thats the version availble still in Game/EB and Amazon.

Well no matter most shops will take software back within several days (EB has a 10-day no questions moneyback)
so i'd check the reciept as most have in fine print thier rules for this kinda thing

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2002 02:24
You need the 1.13 update (which is FREE) to make it XP compatible and resolve your issues. The version you have is most defintely not "bug city". Also I don't believe anywhere retails 1.12, all boxed are 1.08 I'm sure, but this might have changed now. Eitherway the 1.13 upgrade is free and you can grab it from the main DB website.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
jbmichaels
Years of Service
User Offline
Well nice to hear some feedback. I did download the 1.13 but it still is locking up when I go to the cli mode and then press my f12 key. Um, yep comp USA sold me a 1.12 vers boxed -it maybe my radeon card or the xp. Also if I go into CLI and just run print "hello world" it does it and then locks up.

The concept of this software is pretty cool - that is why I am willing to put a little grief in to get a good working setup. I have been able to program using the Gothic engine from Germany - but Piranha Bytes just came out with Die Hard whatever which the reviewers and users have thrashed completely.

Should take a few days to get the basic lang and start doing something decent with this.. can we put any AI script stuff in.

still sleepless in SV

jbmichaels

jbmichaels
Years of Service
User Offline
one last thing - um I just downloaded the demo dbpro and it works fine with no system lockup on my radeon 8500 xp setup. Pro is so much cleaner looking I guess I will move on - even though I am hearing horror stories about dbpro already.
You can check out a demo or two in a few weeks of Clonus 2049 AD with DB which should be cool and give you an idea of where SEby and I are heading on DB

jbm

Rodro
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a modified verson of the BASIC language. It has no script. It has the whole BASIC language, so you can program it to do anything you want it to do. If the BASIC language is too weak you can add you own DLLs. Since you've been programming since the 70's and 80's you should be familiar with BASIC, if not then it should be easy to pick up.

What computer did you have back then? Those where my favorite days when computers where less complex and I could modify the OS. Lot of fun.

Hey!! You talking to me?
Rodro
Years of Service
User Offline
This forum doesn't like unhappy campers. So change now or be attacked by a lot dedicated DB/DBPRO users. I think it's a great language!!! It just needs to "iron" out some wrinkles. I have a lot of hope with this package.

Hey!! You talking to me?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:29:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:29:50