Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / using user name(god) code

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
can any one help me with username(god) code for 3rd person control
i need to know how to put a model character into the code god created
by the way god is a user member im not actually taken the mick out of god like on my last thread people seem to be thinking
thanks
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm confused about what you want to know...

[center]
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 13:21
What?

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 13:48
There is a user named god who made a 3rd person game tutorial using a sphere as the character.

E.D.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 15:17
lol, two threads about the same thing with the same number of Confusees.

Ling creckt tsi nocreckto havela? NASA chetallnar mo lu'ul nasding!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 19:12
Use punctuation.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 19:57
Quote: "Can anyone help me with God's code for his 3rd person game tutorial?

I need to know how to put an object into the code (instead of the default sphere).

Thanks,
firelord"

I really forget those things... If not mistaken it would be:

Replace

"Make object sphere x,y" [where x,y are two numbers]

by

"Load object [object file, ie model.x/model.3ds],x" [where x is the same number as x was above]

firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i get load object file(my model) my model is .x format
but do not get the bit about [where x is the same number as x was above] bit please explain
firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
it seems i have 2 threads going at once so im not going to use this thread any more please goto using gods code thread and help me there
thanks
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 22:37
Firelord this really isnt that hard, whats the problem?

Every 3d object in your game has a unique object number you give to it (must be a positive integer, no decimals, not 0, not a string, and not negative). This allows you to manipulate each object based on it's object number. Thats why there is an object number parameter. The "filename.extension" parameter is the location and filename of your 3d model you wish to load. For example if your main program is in a folder called "Game", and your media is located at "Game/Media" and you want to load a player model called "player.x" (.x is direct x's model format), then the player model is located at "Media/player.x", so you'd use that as your file path, and then any object number you want.

Eg;

Will load player.x into object 1, assuming the file and path is correct.

The make object commands also have object numbers, so if you're player object right now is a sphere made by the MAKE OBJECT SPHERE command, look at the object number used for that command, delete that command, and replace it with the LOAD OBJECT command, specifying the correct model path, and the object number previously used.

Loading objects is... not hard at all...

firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 22:41 Edited at: 22nd May 2007 23:02
thanks ruccus
im just learning how to create a character on a basic floor world no other objects
and moving the character around have you any tips that may help me everybody has to learn mate, programed in basic in the eighties text adventures never really did graphics so this is all new to me

thanks
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 23:10
I think you're thinking its more complicated than it really is.

To move a 3D object forwards or backwards in the direction it is facing, you use the MOVE OBJECT command.

Syntax:
MOVE OBJECT object number, speed

Providing a negative speed makes the object move backwards, a positive forwards. To move left or right you'd use MOVE OBJECT LEFT or MOVE OBJECT RIGHT. Up and down would be MOVE OBJECT UP and MOVE OBJECT DOWN. There are commands that simulate tonnes of things in the 3D environment for DBP, just look in the index.

Id recommend reading some more tutorials (not sure who this god guy is... :/), check out this thread for a list of the most popular tutorials for DBP:

Tutorial Thread

firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
cheers ruccus yes getting to grips with 3d is going to take some reading some books i think
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 00:55
Learning 3D doesn't take books, it takes trying, falling, standing up again, building a basic game and learning it could've been done much easier.

Over the weeks, months you'll be happy, angry, frustrated and all the like: but it's worth it.

BTW - text adventures ain't bad. There's a project, Eternal Equinox, in the Program Announcements, which was written in DarkBASIC.

The text on my DBC package was misleading: It said that my 'imagination is the only limit' - it is not. The biggest limit you'll encounter is motivation. Start easy, continue upwards slowly and in a while you'll be creating some easy, fun games. Don't be intimidated by advanced code but learn from it. Don't start high - it'll only break your morale.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 02:18
Ok, just wrote this up, maybe it'll help. Its an extremely basic 3D game with a third person camera, a textured matrix, and matrix collision. Movement is with the arrow keys.

Its not a lot of code at all, almost all of it is comments, paste it into DBP and you'll see all of the grey .

Untested but it should work, not on a computer with DBP ATM;

Copy it into DBP, run it, see what it does, then examine the code. Feel free to change anything.

firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks ruccus i will have a go at the weekend

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:54:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:54:31