Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Voltaire in Videogames.....What if....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 07:53
So are you tired of the "kill anything that moves" storyline of most of todays games? Actually most games nowadays have really deep story lines and feature half decent voice overs that add alot of emotion and sstory like quality to games... But wouldn't it be just a liitle cool to see someone make a game like a Voltaire novel? In case you don't know what I mean why don't you go to your local library and check out Candide. Videogames that make fun of society and religion ... Cool neh?

Anyone else think so?
The Great Schism.- The Earths reaction to Heavons invasion.
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 02:46
The problem is that mass media (and video games are a distant cousin of the mass media) tends to reinforce norms.

Because literature is a more personal experience with the medium, and because video games are already in scope of places where all deviations will be yelled at, I doubt the Voltaire series games would do well.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 02:54
my favourite game right now is TheSimsOnline... no killing in that (though they've promised it for almost a year for the Beta testers lol)

it is amusing to yank out people hearts when you hate them though hehee...
but that aside i wouldn't look forward to a Voltaire game anytime soon as they'd never get past the ratings bereau, and for good reason.
if you want good story based games withou killing the checkout any lucasart adventure game, they makes some bloody good adventure games full of alot of vulgre yet apt humour - or the Discworld games, especially noir are pretty cool.
Simon the Sourcerer another good title... even flippin' Harry Potter is a good game in that respects.

its not a case that good non-voilent/killing games arn't out there, its a case that you don't want to play them - else you'd know there were there!

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 07:40
I don't know about the voice overs, most still sound like a bad anime dubbing (ever seen Demon City?). I will give credit to FFX, Xenosaga, and of course MGS; but I won't be happy till every game as a voice over language option.

I bet I could comment better on the topic if I knew what this Voltaire thing is.

About breaking away from the norm, I see a few that push the bar. If the "moral magorty" (say it like you have to do the dishes) did accully play them we'ld hear more about it. Xenogears is a good example, it's story is like nothing I've ever seen before. But you never hear about those kinda game because the media only focuses on stuff that stirs up crap with whiny "holier than thou" types.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 05:24
Raven you get me all wrond I love violence but crave a decent story, one that makes you think and challnges your ideas, kinda like a good coversation or argument...

Well Voltaire for anyone who dosn't know (looks over at Arrow.) was an author, he wrote "Candide" or the optimist, and most if not all of his works were aimed at soicial reform and how ridiculous religon was. He was from Europe's "age of enlightenment" as the history books call it.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 06:20
About time you had one

Seriously, I've never heard of the guy. I don't tend to go for dark humor, so I doubt I'd like his work. I think I have yet to read a book which is acclaimed as 'enlightening', 'deep', etc, where the book's plot and characters hold up to the size of the point being made by the author... in my opinion, if the characters and plot aren't important enough to structure the story around them, the book would be better off as an 'organized rant' or documentary.

So I wait to be enlightened

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 06:47
lol, I like it, I like it a lot! Nice rant there Tybalt even if it was small one! ...very nice... "wait to be enlightened" he he he...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 09:25
i'm still gonna say your just playing the wrong games... or the right games but paying no real attention to them.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 19:53
Anjin san, try Xenogears for PS1, it may hold you over still they make a Voltaire game. Remember, I live in America, we don't have books anymore, lol.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 12:59
Hmmm, you're talking about one of my all time favourite novels here, Voltaire could tell in one paragraph the life story of a character.

That aside, a game based on candide would have to have more killing and even worse acts of violence (burning at the stake, hanging, buttocks being removed, armies disembowelling eachother etc) than any video game currently in existance!!

That also aside, I'd love to play a game like that, imagine the El Dorado chapter... Cool yes

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 22:33
'Voltaire could tell in one paragraph the life story of a character.'

Either his paragraphs take up 15 pages or his characters have the detail of a Disney one-liner.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 01:53
Two nuggets of information stick in my mind about Voltaire: 1) He wrote 'Candide' in three days, and 2) he drank 50 cups of coffee a day.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 02:37
Anyone got a good bio link on Voltaire? I love reading about people.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 13:30
mouse - You'd be better off reading it than dissing it, while you're at it check out baudelaire's prose stuff, if you think a one page story can't contain depth, hehehe.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 19:31
I'm not dissing it, I'm stating a fact. You quote me one paragraph in which he fully describes a character's life story like you said he could, and then I'll bother to see if impossible things can happen.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 21:10
Well that's not actually what I claimed, read the post again. I guess if you're going to be pedantic about it you should use quotes instead. If you'd read the book you'd understand what I meant.

The first chapter for instance is perhaps two pages long, depending on the size of the version of the book you buy.

Seriously, it'll take you an afternoon to read and that's better than hanging around here being so anal about things...

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 22:07
Some people wouldn't recognize humor if a brigade of emoticons trumpted it five feet away. Seriously, Dan, chill out.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 22:16
:-s Read my last post and turn that last comment back on yourself, (admittedly it wasn't followed by an emoticon)

hehe, 'tis easy to misread the emotion of a post neh?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 22:37
I used the icon. Isn't it obvious that a post can't be serious ended with that?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 05:48
I'm gald to have a suporter thank you Danmatsuma. And that reminds me I'm from America too Arrow and I have read some Voltaire , but I'll try xenogears! x-d

Oh yeah and Tybalt why are you in this post so much? You have no real knowledge of what we're talking about and yet you continue to comment...I think you know something, if not a lot about Voltaire and good literature and don't want to admit it for some reason beyond my knowledge or the scope of imagination. If not then I'm sorry for seeing what wasn't there and retract my comment only to request that you read Candide, you and Arrow. Shogun too while your at it...yeah that will work...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:29:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:29:51