Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3D Dragonforce-esque Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 05:07
I am about to start a project with my brother to recreate the dragon force battle engine in 3D. This would require up to 200 3d models(not including projectiles) running around with simple AI and collision detection at once. I was just wondering if this would create any massive slowdowns in the engine and what kind of poly limit I should keep in mind for our models. This will be my first real dbp project, so expect to see me around a lot
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 11:52
Dragonforce!

The Programming Bum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 12:06
Haha, thanks Zotoaster.

One improvement I was thinking of adding to the game was special moves for troops. Imagine a soldier is fighting, then all of a sudden he flips into the air, and comes down shooting out a very short wave sonic boom, killing a few enemies.

I am most familiar with Java so I wrote up some pseudo-ish code for how the engine might work. I've only written a few classes. Now that I think about it I don't even know if dbp even does inheritance... Any suggestions on how to convert this to dbp?

The hex battle grid. Splits the level into hexes and keeps track of what is in all of them.

Hex Class

The basic Troop class

The different classes of soldiers will inherit from the Troop class and contain any class-specific differences.

2DTable will a global variable be like this:
soldier monk
soldier[ .5 ] [ .8 ]
monk [ .2 ] [ .5 ]
A 2 dimensional array to grab the percentage that a killing blow will be struck.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 04:52
depends how many polys each model is and if you handle everything efficiently. Nice to see another java programmer.

The Programming Bum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 21:39
This Unity upgrade pack looks like exactly what I need to program this the way I planned it. Yay object oriented programming. Has anyone had any bad experiences with it? Expect to see some code soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:45:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:45:01