Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 15 line challenge for all to try

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a challenge to everybody of any level of programming abilty. the challenge is simple creat a game, interface, graphics affect or any other program in eithe DB or Dbpro in 15 lines (excluding declerations).
The Rules
1) create your program in 15 lines of code excluding declerations ie (loading object, declaring variable or arrays, seting up the screen , Do and loop comands or other perlimanary setups)

2) a line is defined as one line of code and carriage return. one peice of code per line

3) remarks, setup, decrelation and spaces don't count as lines

4) please add remarks and neaten code for easy reading

5) examiners word is final

6) marks ar awarded on you code as well as your output and the practacalty of the program completing its objective ie a calculator adding up

7) programs can be to do anything from play cds and games to calculators and spreadsheets as the idea is to evaluate the capabiltys of a programmer not how much of the code he or she knows

8) winners will be stated monthly

9) please send you remarks +code + exe + any models you have used in the program -The_13th_warrior@hotmail.com- or anything you wish us to know about the program

10)please add any quereis you have to this board remeber this is a challenge for every one
Codingallmylife
Years of Service
User Offline
please compress your models and exes for faster loading thank you good luck every one

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 21:41
15 commands only? When you mean 'excluding declerations', can you be more specific? 1 command per line, I assume this means you can fit a whole if..then..else statements on one line? Do commands such as do..loop which have two parts on separate lines count as one or two commands?

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 23:07
Hmmm? Why not just do the 20 line challange, how is this different?

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 01:13
Why do this when there is an official 20 line challenge section which has a monthly prize.

Gronda, Gronda
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2003 01:25
I've already won that, time to try something else! Anyway, it might be interesting to have a limit of 15 commands, that's hardly anything but I think I could still produce something good out of it.

now, I am the Master.
Codingallmylife
Years of Service
User Offline
the 20 line challenge is in fact a 450 line challenge because you can stack 25 commands per line. i can see i din't make my self clear on the rules so i will atempt to clear that up.

a decleration is in fact any line of code you put in your program before the main gamming loop. the declerations of the program are those pilimanary lines that you have at the top of the source code to setup your program.

things like creating and seting up your world (matrix), definning variable you want to use in your program, definning arrays you will use, loading media, seting up the screen, positioning you models at there start position.

very basically i am only counting 20 lines in your main loop excluding the following comands Do, Loop, Sync, For, Next, Gosub, Return, Endif and Loop music

Chiwawa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 17:35
then we can make 2000000000000000 line cause of that:

or do you count every function and sub ...........
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 22:56
Technically, functions are counted but subs aren't...

now, I am the Master.
Codingallmylife
Years of Service
User Offline
A point unlike the 20 line challenge this challenge is far more about how you solve your problem and clever programming than a good result.

Programmers don't program because they can program but because they like too program
Lord Helmet
Years of Service
User Offline
So why not just put a fat-honken game entirely inside a sub, then it all won't count?

My suggestion is either count code within subs the same or don't allow them.

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 21:33
bsically, pointless

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 09:38:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 09:38:18