Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Text Adventure Creator 2 : Work In Progress

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 14:11
Yes,a second version of it.Now with improved scripting and such.Even though it is not yet very powerfull,it can already make an adventure game.Without items though,but you can make a game with it to walk around the place and discover it.

Some might have seen the old version,and i must say,This one is completely different from the older version.It works on a new core reading system Airslide gave in the older topic,and some of my own modifications on it,to let it run in the way i want it to.

For now i have implented the following commands in the scripts(Wich can be any format you want,even without extension)

I know they are rather basic.but they work.Scripts can be called from Area Transition's and Boot up of the game.So you can let every area have a different background,or sound to play.

Now some screenshots,they do not look so great...but its a text game creator...so you can not expect alot yet.

The Main menu(Loading Works,a command in the imput box "Save" saves the game.)

Area 1,Home

Area 1 his Main file,where most onscreen details are in

Some Other Area,note that this one has different exists then the other one.(Not displayed exits are not available for this area)

Input Box,you can get this by pressing Control.

I will also upload the small demo those pictures where taken from.Play around with it,as i haven't yet found ANY bugs so far.

Remember:
-Control brings up input box
-Type in "Save" without the "'s to save the game

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 20:00
Little update,you can now save on 3 slots,instead of just saving it on 1 file all the time.Allowing multiple players on the same installation.(Not at the same time offcourse.)

Load Game Screen:

Save Game Screen:

Offcourse any higher number then 3 will be noticed as an illegal number by my program,and will just redirect to the loading start procces.

To get out of the Save/Load pages without loading or saving,just press return/enter and it will exit the screen.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice, Darn it i was trying to make one of those...pfft!

My Avatar is copyright to John F's Wick Models
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 07:31
Hehe,There actualy is more progress on it,But because no one seemed intrested.I didnt post it here.
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 08:32
wow looks good. can't wait for this, i'm not much of a TxtAdvnture Fan, but this looks cool.!

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 30th May 2007 10:17
Keep up the good work PoD.... And if you need help on a GUI, my WinGUI is perfect for stuff like this. Please show us the further progress!

Cheers,

-db

PS: Not advertising people.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 07:58 Edited at: 31st May 2007 08:00
Hehe,thanks all.

But i will NEVER make a GUI in it,like a real text adventure.Only thing here that seperates it from original ones in the background and the dialogs i think.

Anyway,here are the new progress stuff then :

UPDATES:

Fixes:
-Save System exit(crashes sometimes)
-Load System Exit(Same as above)

Updates:
-Added Look Command
-Added Look Command + Script
-Added Tabkey as exit key,will prompt you if your sure.

Annoying Additions:
-Added Watermark in game screen.(Title bar can be removed when your good with .exe's,this one can't)

Current Version : V0.15B1

Screenshots:

New Watermark:---(The surrounding red-ish line is drawn by me later,to show that that is the watermark)

Exit Prompt:

[UPDATE]

Fixes:
-Exit Prompt Cancel
-Input Prompt Cancel

Updates:
<NONE>

Version Number : 0.15B2

Comments:

As you might notice there are no updates in this version,main reason is because this version was created to fix a few bugs in my dialog's.

--------------

The above parts are copied from the original topic from InsaneFPS forums,parts might be missing.

Enough progress?

I'll continue it when i finished all my homework,I got LOADS of it now...(Darn you teachers!)

EDIT:

Please note that if i release a small new Beta,you are NOT allowed to use it in the Text Adventure Competition at all,that competition is to show how well YOU can code text games,it is NOT to show how good I can code an engine.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 08:59
Remember to put that note in your license agreement. If you'd ever come across with an entry made in TAC2 just sue .

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 17:59
As i have not finished the complete program yet,or the editors there is NO lisence yet...Will come though.
aaron mann
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 02:08
I really like the idea of the popup boxes. That would have been a good work-around to my INPUT command lagging the mouse cursor =)

I got around that problem anyways by simply detecting SCANCODE keypresses and recording INKEY$() values then comparing them to a list of acceptable characters.

I'm a text game junkie though man so I would be happy to talk text games with you. Perhaps we could help each other out some =)

I'm actually working on a rebuild of an old one I did years ago. I recently started a thread for it here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106910&b=8

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:36:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:36:16