Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / question about dbp

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 17:26
dbp is not geared toward making 2d games right?
like platform or zelda type.

i mean its mainly for 3d and if u want to make 2d games it might be a good idea to use a different program?
Twinsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 17:47
hmmm I don't wanna advertise other software but you can make very good 2d games with it check out the showcase

Could you help me treat my injured Dino-Fly ?
Twinsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 20:35
I find pixel-perfect collision act like a bug in 2d games ... I always use box collisions ... anyway, the hardest thing u'll encounter will be the map scrolling cause when the player walks, he won't go further ( platform game ) and the camera won't chase him cause there is no 2D camera ... u'll have to make it like an illusion meaning that he will look like walking but in fact he will stand still and the map will scroll beneath him

Twinsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 21:04 Edited at: 29th May 2007 21:05
hmmm I must argue with u on that and here's the most common "bug" you may encounter while using pixel-perfect collision in a 2D platform : suppose u have an animated sprite and you are walking on a ledge. Now you suddenly make a jump and land right on the edge of the platform. Now suppose (again) that the mid-air animation(used while you are in the air) is somehow resembling with a crouching stance and suppose(yes again) that u find that precise spot for landing where the legs land outside of the ledge so they continue falling but u then stop cause your butt has collided with the near edge. You are now in a situation where you are duck-sitting on the edge, not falling and not being able to move, jump or whatever so you are STUCK trust me, bounding-box collision is the best cause in the example above, you either fall on the ledge or outside of it

Twinsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 21:26
meh no pixelperfect collision for me as long as I live did u like the old console games ? like NES ones ? well they used only box-collisions back then and look what they have accomplished only by using that

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:42:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:42:19