Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / MindLife v1.0 WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 13:07 Edited at: 31st May 2007 13:31
OK Everyone, meet MindLife, first version.

Started yesterday: I've got high hopes for it.

Here's the little thingy for it:

Dreams are Dreams.

You go to sleep. You dream. You wake up.

But what if you don't?

Short but simple. The basic thing is that you wake up in a dream. You can't get out. I'm worried people might think it's a bit like Butterfinger's Umbra, but it's not. It's an adventure, that leads you through your MindLife, what goes on when you dream, the cogs and workings of your head whilst you're sleeping. How did you get here? How do you get out again, back to the real world? Or are you in the real world? Are you asleep, awake, in a coma, dead?. Who knows. You'll only find out by playing MindLife, the demo will be here very soon, in the meantime, I'll stick up a few screenshots. I know the post will get locked without them, so here they come.

Enjoy - Feedback please, good, bad, or ugly. I'll get more screenies along in a moment.

It's your MindLife: Anything can happen.

http://www.ciphersoftware.co.uk/

Your signature has been deleted by a mod. It hasn't really, this is just me trying to sound funny. My attempts are pointless.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 13:08 Edited at: 17th Sep 2007 10:30
Screeny 2 (removed, cos I've completely changed that bit - will re-upload when done)

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

MindLife - v1.0: At the forums: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=107284&b=25
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 13:08 Edited at: 17th Sep 2007 10:31
Screenshot 3 (As above)

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

MindLife - v1.0: At the forums: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=107284&b=25
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 13:09 Edited at: 17th Sep 2007 10:31
Screenshot 4 (again, as above)

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 13:10 Edited at: 17th Sep 2007 10:32
Screenshot 5 (once more, as above).

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks interesting

Slipknot Rules
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 13:55
I dont get it, but I'll give it 7/10

go to:
www.freewebs.com/futurefps
www.chainoffreedom.com.piczo.com
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 13:57
Quote: "I dont get it, but I'll give it 7/10"

What's to get? It's your subconscious mind, go crazy.

Your signature has been deleted by a mod. It hasn't really, this is just me trying to sound funny. My attempts are pointless.
game lover
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the sound of it. Creative
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 14:54
Quote: "I like the sound of it. Creative"

Thanks. I'm busy working on level 2 right now. You're walking through this room full of people, but they're all ignoring you. I'm gonna do some scripting to make them all react and start attacking you when you reach a trigger zone at the end of the room.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 19:33
Quote: "I'm gonna do some scripting to make them all react and start attacking you when you reach a trigger zone at the end of the room."

Lol, sounds great ^^

Meh...
FADE Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
I was going to do something like this, except I was going to point out all the bugs in FPSC and say they are features.

EXample: The hand change from model pack 5 to 6

Looks good though

Manager Of The Soon To Become Known Fade Studios
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 21:02
Quote: "The hand change from model pack 5 to 6"

LOL exactly! I may have to do that, who knows. Heh heh Ooh a carrot!

I'll get some more screenshots and a demo of the first level here soon.

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 23:01
hmm... sounds similar to umbra, except it doesnt like like its fulled by narcotics

Note; Dont do drugs.. not good - fools game

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 23:07
love the first screen, but the others don't offer much in terms of detail. First screen looks great tho'

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 02:19
It's a start man, but it still looks like the person is dreaming in FPSC. You need to think about how to make the levels more dreamy. think about trying to hide the walls, in some way, or make the areas look less confined, its hard to focus in dreams, so backdrops and so on tend to be more muted and less noticable.

I'm gonna just go there and say it, skeletons stopped being scary in movies sometime in the late 80's, and games came after that. Try and think of new ways of scaring people.

Hold on.. let me gather my thoughts here...

Ok.The human brain has 2 layers...the outer layer developed later in evolution and therefore represents the part of the human mental capabilities that came later in evolution : art, music, cultural creativity, love, compasion, empathy and so on. The core of our brains is the part that evoloved first, and gives us our primal instincts : fear , aggression, hunger, sex etc.

When we dream our outer cortex is less active and our perceptions are controlled by the core, therefore you'll find most dreams are based around primal urges. This is why umbra focussed around the more primal aspects of the human mind : fear (through disorientation + sound), sex (the orgasm sounds in the sound track), and aggression (the final section). Of course, these primal urges have the playground of our concious memories, so we have some weird things playing out, like talking kidneys or your best friends dad eating your sister for her birthday... whatever.

What I'm trying to say is, to give your game a dream feel, you need to identify which parts of the psyche you're going to manipulate:

Fear : Your not going so scare anyone with skeletons and ww2 thugs, but that doesn't mean you need twisted monsters either, you should try playing with sound and disorientation, it works a treat.

Aggression : Its hard to do in FPSC, but try forcing the player to shoot things, but give them a childrens tv theme in the background, and make the dying enemies screams really viceral. I know this sounds totally morally wrong, but if your going to make it a dream, go the whole hog.

What I'm saying is, I'm not going to knock you for doing something similar to Umbra, hey why not step up and try to knock my "dream adventure crown"*, but if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Anyway, can't believe I just typed all that! Hope it helps.
Butters

*Yes... I gave myself a crown.

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 06:58
I was just wondering some stuff...

Why would there be a pay phone in a bathroom?

Why are there leafs in the building?

I like screen 1 the most. But anyway not bad.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 07:18
Quote: "It's a start man, but it still looks like the person is dreaming in FPSC. You need to think about how to make the levels more dreamy. think about trying to hide the walls, in some way, or make the areas look less confined, its hard to focus in dreams, so backdrops and so on tend to be more muted and less noticable.

I'm gonna just go there and say it, skeletons stopped being scary in movies sometime in the late 80's, and games came after that. Try and think of new ways of scaring people.

Hold on.. let me gather my thoughts here...

Ok.The human brain has 2 layers...the outer layer developed later in evolution and therefore represents the part of the human mental capabilities that came later in evolution : art, music, cultural creativity, love, compasion, empathy and so on. The core of our brains is the part that evoloved first, and gives us our primal instincts : fear , aggression, hunger, sex etc.

When we dream our outer cortex is less active and our perceptions are controlled by the core, therefore you'll find most dreams are based around primal urges. This is why umbra focussed around the more primal aspects of the human mind : fear (through disorientation + sound), sex (the orgasm sounds in the sound track), and aggression (the final section). Of course, these primal urges have the playground of our concious memories, so we have some weird things playing out, like talking kidneys or your best friends dad eating your sister for her birthday... whatever.

What I'm trying to say is, to give your game a dream feel, you need to identify which parts of the psyche you're going to manipulate:

Fear : Your not going so scare anyone with skeletons and ww2 thugs, but that doesn't mean you need twisted monsters either, you should try playing with sound and disorientation, it works a treat.

Aggression : Its hard to do in FPSC, but try forcing the player to shoot things, but give them a childrens tv theme in the background, and make the dying enemies screams really viceral. I know this sounds totally morally wrong, but if your going to make it a dream, go the whole hog.

What I'm saying is, I'm not going to knock you for doing something similar to Umbra, hey why not step up and try to knock my "dream adventure crown"*, but if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Anyway, can't believe I just typed all that! Hope it helps.
Butters

*Yes... I gave myself a crown."
Phew I just finished reading all that Wow Butters you really did type a lot.
Quote: "I was just wondering some stuff...

Why would there be a pay phone in a bathroom?

Why are there leafs in the building?

I like screen 1 the most. But anyway not bad."
It's a wacky dream remember? It doesnt have to make sense the best thing about these types of games
*Slayer_2

EOT
[img][/img]
Check it out here: http://eliteops.piczo.com/?cr=6&rfm=y
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 07:42
this does sound good. i like the textures and lighting in screeny 3 i think...?

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 12:30 Edited at: 1st Jun 2007 12:48
Thanks everyone for your useful info, especially Butters, for everything he's said. I'm taking this all into granted, I'm going to go off now and edit it to your advice. I'll stick some more screenies up soon.

Once again, thanks,

~ CS

Oh yeah...
Quote: "Your not going so scare anyone with skeletons and ww2 thugs"
- I wasn't actually intending to. It was actually more meant to be like "Hey, what're these freakish things doing here?"

EDIT: OK, Ambience light level is now 0, so lots of lighting helps start to create a scary effect.

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 17:15
The ambience light set to 0 gives a very good disoriented effect:
Quote: "disorientation, it works a treat."

Quote: "Note; Dont do drugs.. not good - fools game "
Who said this has anything to do with drugs? I'd never be that stupid.

NEW SCREENSHOT UPLOADED.

I've stuck one in.

It's got 0 ambience light, so lots of clever and freaky lighting effects are here to help. When you turn the corner, there's a really long pitch black corridor, sort of confusing, as I said earlier, demo coming very soon.

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

Attachments

Login to view attachments
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 20:45
Quote: "Try and think of new ways of scaring people."

OK, I've been thinking. Here's what's coming on level 2.

You're stuck. In a maze. Heartbeat audio. Blood on floor. Darkness, very dim lighting. Fairly cliche, alright. But then one random door leads into a brightly lit room with 7 or 8 people in. Ordinary people. In "Passive" mode. You take a few steps towards them, and all of a sudden they drop down dead, rather unexpectedly. But one survives. He walks towards you coming to attack.

OK, ditch the blood and heartbeat. Unless anyone thinks that's good?

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 19:32
I liked the heartbeat

It should start slowly and get faster and faster.

Meh...
Rilejarom
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 21:00
Well your game is about dreaming but everything seems so... misplaced. There should be more order to your game even though it's about a dream. For instance you put a toilet next to a phone? What are you saying? You have a hard time taking a dump so you call for help? I also agree with butters on how when you dream everything is distorted.
Plus to be frank, the rocky terrain in the first screenshot, sucked.
Put something else in its place. Butters did an Exellent job of peicing together with WW2 funiture in a room with map wallpaper. See how that connects. Gumball machine with phone connects. Most hospital waiting rooms have these. See where I'm getting to?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/jarom01/example7.gif
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 21:04
*sigh* Okay one or two screen shots tried to give a better view of what the level looks like....The rest was pretty much pointless as it was screens shots of walls corners and lots of bad light mapping....

Needs work lots of it..you got the idea just needs better planning.
Like for example toning down that blue light to some thing a little lighter and not just relying on that blue light to give the effect.

Add other lights as well like gray lights the overall idea is using two or more lights to get the desired effect...trick is to decide which area in that part of the level is the focus point.

once you have selected your focus point a colour like blue red or any other colour that is not neutral will help the player focus on that spot first before looking at surroundings area.This will assist in entities surprising the player ect.....

Pointless Assault RC1 Demo
http://fileho.com/download/534fc0519603/pointless.rar.html
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 18:47
OK, I've been taking all this in mind. The game now has multiple endings. So different paths shape the outcome of your dream. It now has two levels. Better ambient noise (no voices yet - help?). It all does look a bit dodgy from the screenies. But when you play it it's a different matter. I've reworked much of the game.

Quote: "For instance you put a toilet next to a phone?"
. Some of my dreams are really bizarre.

Lol, now I'm just trying to add these links as you have all been saying. It's quite a large level 1 now, and it's not just stroll-about-and-take-a-look. There's skill involved. Down one of the paths, there's a puzzle you must solve with a bazooka and some glass windows. Down another you must find a way to traverse across a pit when there's been a collapse. It's more than just walking through a dream. It's playing, surviving, solving your way to the end.

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

Owen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 19:09 Edited at: 16th Jun 2007 19:10
one question, how did you get the WW2 skeleton to go straight? i can only find the sitting down ones ???

BTW = looking goood !!

( ) \/\/ E |\|...... What The E Is Basically Impossible
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 20:26
I'm really interested in this game. Do you have anymore pictures?

Meh...
its that guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 09:22
looks pretty good, but if you didnt already, try improving your frame rates, cause they are pretty low in some pictures

WHOS THAT??!?!? oh yeah...its that guy!
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 11:20
It doesn't flow. Sure, dreams can be random, and distorted, but your media is from waaaaay too many sources, and doesn't fit together. I'm not talking about the logical side, because that can go out the window in a dream, but the overall style of the media varies too much.

I know you don't want it compared to Umbra, but the media in Umbra was chosen selectively and Butter's work has a certain style. He placed objects of the same style in the same areas, whilst you seem to have thrown a lot of different styled media into one place. For example, he used the stock WW2 media with a map texture wallpaper. It fits. You on the other hand appear to have mixed Sci-Fi, Modern Day, and WW2 media in one area. That doesn't fit.

At the moment, it just looks like a game with bad entity placement that has been covered up by the excuse that it's based on dreams. That's not meant to be a flame, it just seems like you've chosen this type of game because you didn't think there was that much skill involved, when there clearly is.

Try looking at the work of Surrealist Artists such as Salvador Dali, or Picasso for ideas about dreams.

Paul

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 13:13
Hi folks!

SORRY! I've not been around for ages, because of lots of stuff that you don't need to know about. Anyway, I couldn't do anything to MindLife lately because FPSC 1.0.6 or something doesn't work with my PC (long story, partly because I have an on-board GPU, and no "real" graphics card!), anyway, just a few minutes ago I've uninstalled all the updates etc. and re-installed a version that works, phew!

I've been taking in what you've all been saying. I can mostly see what you're on about. But I've got so much of the game done, going back and re-doing so much of it is gonna be a right pain in the bottom. But I'll have a go nonetheless.

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

phil17
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks cool. Butter really hit the nail on the head with his comments and advice. good luck on improvments and i will have a blast when your done

dfujis the rocker
Years of Service
User Offline
your game is looking good, maybe make it darker to make it seem intense

@ Butters
coup de etat (or whatever it is, just watch yourself )

famous last words: check this out
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 23:59
I found this and umbra really funny. Even in my darknest dreams I don't dream about wierd worlds with skeletons playing pianos. You really don't want to know what I actually dream about.

No, the dreams need a bit of artisic license. Is there any freaky little girls screeching things at you?

Your signature has been deleted due to the fact that it was far too humourous to possibly show.
http://www.fpsinsane.co.nr/ -New FPSC Forums By Jenkins
Endless Fps Team
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 01:51
It looks bare..Needs a bit better realistic enviroment...And im likeing the story so far...And at least have it be a bit scary and interesting at the same time...

Overall-Highintermediate..

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is bunny...-EFT
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 10:33
Fixed FPSC. Work has resumed, new screenshots coming rather soon and yes, I will get a demo out of level 1.

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

bobert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 23:25
kk just to lay down the laws

1. this makes no sense, first of all i have never had a dream thats like this. what butters did with umbra he made a dream like senerio
and a realistic senerio and combined them (which means he added things that made sense toghether)

2.ohh woww a skeleton hey look a thug WOW! try making things a bit more creepy like have a TV with static in an empty room and when you walk up to it a bunch of enemys come through the walls cmon try and be imagenative dude

3.although this looks like a good game it doesnt mean it will be GREAT just because you took a picture of a corner with shadows doesnt mean its a peice of art

Cheers, Bobert

why would i post my frigging signiture for evrey one to see? you guys are all,oh um hi
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 23:28
Quite the bump, there, skippy.

I find that post somewhat rude, to be honest with you.

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 09:33
Right everybody, listen up! MindLife development has been temporarily halted whilst I do stuff to Project Thor. MindLife was the first game I ever seriously made on FPSC, I just wanted to experiment with making games without guns everywhere or whatever. I was trying to do something different.

Bobbert, ever heard of constructive criticism?

Yes, the game makes no sense, and when I've finished Project Thor I am going to finish this. I mean, completely redesign it, rather than just jump in and see what happens.

TBH I'd rather have this thread locked, mods if you're reading this, you get the picture. This was once a game, but no longer. I do intend to remake it and finish it this time, with some logic behind it! Sheesh, I was a noob! Come on!

Well, toodlepip,

~ CS

bobert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 20:24
ok sorry dude i was in the moment after butters lecture on the human brain

why would i post my frigging signiture for evrey one to see? you guys are all,oh um hi

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:12:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:12:10