Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Can this be done in DBPro (multiplayer question about banning people from a game)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2003 01:13
I want to make a multiplayer game, but I remember playing Red Faction (RF) a few days ago, & I had to ban someone, & he kept going into his IP settings & changed his IP to get back in.

What I want to be able to do, is if there is a server, that you create, if someone is banned from a server (that has a specific IP), if you ban someone, it creates a file in their game, that lists a IP of the server that they can not get back into.

Basicaly, it takes the Servers IP address, puts it in a ban list file, & on that copy of the game, it wont allow that person to get back into the host server.

I would also like to try to make this file so that, if it is tampered with, it will make the game stop functioning, until the lines are back in.

It would be nice to have a feature like this, at some point, due to the stupid jerks out there, who try to make everybody miserable.

I know there is another way around this, but I dont want to have to go the route to make pay per month access for my games.

Thx,
SirReal
Years of Service
User Offline
Shadow,

It would be a whole lot easier to do something like this:

When the game is installed , have it create an XXcharacter random ID string ( the bigger the better, less chance of duplicates ) that you store somewhere.

When the person joins a game his ID is sent in to the hosting server. If the hosting server bans, then the host stores that ID and if someone with that ID tries to join again then it blocks them, no matter what his IP address is.

SirReal

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2003 02:37
Hmmm, good idea, but I need the file tamper proof, so they cant edit the ID, is that do-able?

Thx for the quick reply,

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2003 03:47
good idea, if the code in the file has a high enuff bit encryption then not only will the hacker not be bothered to tamper with it but any slight change in the id, even one character will render the code invalid to your program!

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 10:00:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 10:00:24