Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 1's long road to an rpg

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everybody, its nice to meet u all.
I am a 19 year old who just dreams, but i always dream of the same thing, being in a fantasy world, being a lone hero and all the usual. I've played many rpg's and very few of them hit all the right spots. So im making my own.lol I know it will be long, hard and not recomended but it has to be done.lol
Im gonna keep daily updates on where i am on the project (if im aloud-if theres any problems let me know) i know most people stop but i still wanna try.
At the minute this is what i have.

i kinda have a problem, its the skysphere. i dont know why but when i make the skyshere bigger than 30,30,30(scale it) a big hole appears where it it should be. Can anybody please help me resolve this issue please.
The media is attached.

Also i was wondering if anybody wanted to team up with me on this project. Well let me know anyway. thank-you

My ultimate wet dream has always been to build an rpg.lol
Please help me fulfil it... Thank-You

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 19:36
I didn't look at your code or download your attachment, it is bad practice to download something without screenshots. Take a few of them and people here will be more ready to check it out.

About your skysphere problem and it getting holes when you scale it up:
I am willing to bet that your camera is clipping the skysphere, try changing the camera range by using 'set camera range' to a greater value. This will likely solve your issue.

Visit the Wip!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 20:41
Actually, it's better if you keep the sky sphere small, and disable object zwrite on it. This means that it will appear behind all other objects (like a skysphere should). If you change the camera range, it can cause many FPS to be lost!

RPG DREAMER
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about no pics, im new to this.
Here is a few so far.
1. 2. 3..

I know the sky isn't mine, im just using it until i get all the coding right. The big blue hole appears in the same place as pic3 wen i scale the sky to 50,50,50.
thanks for the advise Alquerian, but how would i integrate the code. Thank-You

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 21:12
Does that Disable Zwrite also work on Fog?
RPG DREAMER
Years of Service
User Offline
yes i know wot u mean diggsy. but the only problem with that is it means u can see how close u are to the sphere when walking about with your character. I appreciate the suggestions, please keep them coming. Thank-You

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 00:54 Edited at: 8th Jun 2007 01:07
@RPG Dreamer: It looks like a good start Although as you get more advanced you may end up starting over and using a level editor of some sort . Anyway just work out the basics first like you're doing. Feel free to ask questions.

About the skysphere--- maybe you could position it at the player's XYZ position? Just a thought...

@Diggsey: I had no idea! Thanks, I've got to try that.

RPG DREAMER
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Sixty Squares.
By level editor i take it u mean 3d world studio or the likes of it. Im gonna start using it now and see wot i can do.
As for the skysphere, i got it sorted. i put in
"set camera range 0,10000" but the screen went all funny and messy. so i changed the code "set camera range 0.0001,10000" and hey pristo it worked perfect

RPG DREAMER
Years of Service
User Offline
hi guys. sorry its been awhile since my last post. I had to move house, and get a partner. and i have now done both.

I have came across a problem. room changes.lol
for example: lets say im in a hallway and i want to enter a room. so i go to the end of the hall and i collide with a door, screen goes black and im in a new room. WAA-LAA

Thats what i need but im stuck on getting it. I have sparky's .dll can any1 help please. Thank-You

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:22:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:22:30