Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Text Baseball

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 23:44 Edited at: 8th Jun 2007 07:54
Hello everyone, I hope you are all well. When I first came onto this site, I was exactly what I didn't want to be, I thought I was going to make this big huge game. Wrong, and I learned my lesson the hard way but with relative ease. So now, after asking questions and annoying probably half of the members in the dark basic classic board I am here to present my first game, text baseball. *By the way, everyone who helped me is credited for their inpuy at the start of the program. * Right onto the game.

I've looked around with the handy dandy search button and have noticed that there is more topics concerning whether or not a sports game could be made. I decided to move with text since for a starting programmer I think graphics would just overcomplicate my program's flow. What more can I really say about my game other than its my verison of baseball and as of right now its very straightforward and lacking my kind of "style". What I mean to say is I want to represent the fine sport of baseball but there will be funny little easter eggs if the user chooses to set the options on. Alright, onto the checklist of what i have done.

Zombie's Checklist-Hey, i have a checklist cool .

-working just fine
-needs some work
-Currently working on in thought

Okay here's what i've got.

-Batting Routine
-Intro Screens
-Intro Commentators

-Pitching Routine
-Minor Stats
-Mid-game Commentators
-All Teams and all Stadiums
-Sound effects

-Major Stat Keeping
-Small Graphics *if people like it*
-Hud
-My own set of wacky easter eggs and options
-Unlockables

Well that's my checklist and I will now leave you with some opening shots of my game. I will also post a demo version of baseball.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 23:48
Here is my baseball program . Enjoy it and give me feedback

Attachments

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 23:54
i think a text adventure/sports game could be problematic. how do you know how close the ball is? how do you know when to swing?

thanks to deathead for the sig!
Projects: alien abductor-5%
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 23:59 Edited at: 8th Jun 2007 07:58
Well as of now, I have everything random, so its a different game every time you play. I want it to stay fresh and new and make you want to have a diverse gameplaying expereience. Now with graphics, i could have that problem.

Thank you for your feedback! Here is another screen, sorry that there isn't much "graphically" but what can you really show in a text game . This is one of my start to the team select screen.

By the way, i posted in png and jpg, they're both giving me trouble, so i'm not sure what to do there.

Attachments

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
p.s. mate remember to post pics in .jpg not .JPG

My Avatar is copyright to John F's Wick Models
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 04:51
Deathead- thanks, i'll remember that if I post more, aw..hasn't anybody tried my game?

Lucky 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 15:25 Edited at: 8th Jun 2007 15:26
I'm in work, so I can't try it now. Maybe you could try making a simple display of the diamond using text so that players have a visual guide as to what is happening? Just an idea...

Edit: You could use the basic 2D commands in DB to do it too.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 18:54
Lucky 13-Hey thanks, I'll give that a shot. I was going to add graphics later if people enjoyed the game without it.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 07:35
Alright, i can see that this needs some serious work before i bring it up again, i'm going to add some graphics to represent what's going on in the game. Prepare for the next update to be 95% done.

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 07:49
hmmm... I'm interested.

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 23:48 Edited at: 11th Jun 2007 02:53
Zombie 20, If I may make a suggestion...

If I were to do a text baseball game, it would be from the perspective of managing a team/league. I'll have to look up the title but there was a similar game on the Atari's and Commodores in the 80's. It may be "Microleague Baseball", but I'm not sure.

Anyway, you program the game logic to work sort of like "Strato-Matic", using the available stats of acutal Pro-players, and scenarios. Kind of like fantasy leagues.

You could develop your own system, and then use the stats to create zones or scenario resolution percentages.

Example
So for instance, Derek Jeter might have a greater chance to single against a certain pitcher when playing...

*At home
*At night
*on a weekend,
*After two day rest
*With a man on base
*The Pitch count 3-1,
*In the bottom of the 7th inning.

You get the idea...

As the manager you...
-Build the rosters (draft players &/or trade them)
-Create the batting line-up
-Signal the batter to regular swing/power-swing, bunt, go for the walk, etc... As well as adhust their strategy; Aggressive, Conservative...
-Call plays such as the hit and run, leading, stealing, going for extra bases.

For the "In-Field" & "Out-field":
-Choose how the defense will cheat the field; play in, play deep, cutting the field left or right.

Other stuff:
- Pull a pitcher
- Change the pitching rotation (see who is rested)
- Bring up a DH
- Sign free agents
- Manage your farm team, and bring them up to the Majors.
- Have a mode to bring back some of baseballs greats from the past, and see how they do against todays elite.
- Contend with injuries

Just a thought!

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 23:50
zenassem-That sounds really fun, not to mention it will give me chance to practice more arrays. I'm thinking I'd like to set that as an option, so maybe

1.main game
2.options
3.manager mode

Thanks for the suggestion, i was taking a break from it but now i'm coming back on it tonight! Thanks!

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 02:32 Edited at: 11th Jun 2007 02:51
Sounds good,

BTW I edited my suggestion post, to make my it more reader-friendly and understandable.

I can do some experiments and research for you to make the idea easier to implement. Especially the AI formulas.

The final idea would be for the program to download/extract real stats from current games, and adjust player/team profiles accordingly.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 05:18
That would be very nice of you. You don't have to go to the trouble just for me, i was going to get the rest of my main game all set up *which is almost done*. However, if you want to, that would be very nice and generous of you.

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
Anyway, you program the game logic to work sort of like "Strato-Matic", using the available stats of acutal Pro-players, and scenarios. Kind of like fantasy leagues.
"

I was a serious Strato-Matic fan. People still line up at midnight on the night Strato-Matic releases the upcoming season cards.
Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 00:49
Sounds interesting. Are you still working on this project? updates?

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 01:56
Yea, i've just taken a little break on it, i'm getting back to work on it tonight. I want to finish the core game and get my cool options in before i go for the player stat keeping that zen suggested.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:30:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:30:00