Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Hover Racing V2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 02:21 Edited at: 20th Jun 2007 00:57
Yeah, I know, I know. Another WiP. But nobody said I have to actually finish them. Definite plans for this one are to get the first track done with some timers and checkpoints etc. so people can have a play, then I'll see if I can take it further. The biggest challenge by far is AI ... major major headache ... so we'll have to see ...

Ok, I made Hover Racing V1 about 3 years ago, but lost all of it. Back then I coded the physics engine myself, but this time round I'm using DarkPhysics. The first track is designed and modelling is underway. The basics of the engine has been riged, and it's remarkably simple using DP. This is just a quick vid of how it'll may play. It's really fun to control actually.

Hopefully I'll have the first track done in a few weeks, then people can whiz round it themselves. True to the original, there will be loops, cork screws, cliff faces and jumps. It's not arcadey at all. It's really tough to control, but therefore much more rewarding as you learn it.

Prototype Engine Vid 3 (4.9MB WMV)

More over the weekend.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 03:32
Lovely graphics! but the link you posted dosen't work
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 06:00
yeah it didn't work for me either. so I cut off the vid and it said temp denied or something and so clicked "here" and it said the game was coming never. lol

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 10:31
haha. Sorry guys. I was way past my bed time last night. I think I'd lost all powers of rational thought by the time I went to bed. Link is fixed now.

Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 11:38
Fallout,

That looks amazing . Very professional looking even now. Look forward to watching this progress.

Good Luck

D3DFunc - Superfast Antialiased text & much much more
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 12:43
Looks awesome, if a bit slow. I like the handling. Does it actually float above the ground, or slide on it? (physics wise)

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 23:21
Wow that was awesome. It curved to the right just a smidge to much unless that waas the controls or whatever. anyway it loooks AWESOMEMASWOME

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 19:33 Edited at: 12th Jun 2007 19:35
Did some more to it today and a little over the weekend, but not finding much time. I dug out my copy of Gile[s] for some lightmapping action. Will have to write a ship lighting engine, cos at the moment it's still full bright, but needs to map correctly to the environment. Track coming along a bit too and tweaked engine further. Will add a sky sphere next so the vids look prettier.

Prototype Engine Vid 2 (2.6MB WMV)

@Nex
It's based on spherical joint rolling physics. I tried hovering physics to start with, but it's very difficult to simulate a hovercraft in dark physics. You need to constantly vary the forces applied, and although I managed to get it to bounce up and down on a kinda cushion of air, it didn't want to move without flipping itself over. I don't think true hovering is practical without some crazy complex maths.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 20:49
That's pretty sick Fallout. I still have your old hover .exe somewhere if you'd like it.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 21:28
Yes please mate, if you can find it! Hopefully it won't matter if I can get this one going, but it'll be a good yardstick anyways.

The ARRAYinator
Years of Service
User Offline
Simply Awesome! Might I ask though how are you doing the terrains? They look quite detailed just to be a standard AT or it could just be me. Anyways very impressive and I can't wait to see where this goes!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 22:13
Wow, the game looks great. It would be amazing if you added weapons, powerups, etc.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 23:47 Edited at: 12th Jun 2007 23:50
Quote: "Might I ask though how are you doing the terrains?"

Milkshape + Gile[s] for lightmapping (UU3D for UV mapping)

Just put a skysphere in. Need to work on it a bit, but it brings the game to life a bit. Next stuff I'll probably do is a bit more of the level (finish the bridge and island) and then some particle effects.

Edit: The pink lines are caused by the mipmapping, as the texture still has some pink in it. Sorted later.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 00:01
The car's lighting looks cartoony. Not sure whether it's intentional or not, but it looks bloody good.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 01:45 Edited at: 13th Jun 2007 01:56
That is very cool Fallout. I think making an F-Zero type of game would be a lot of fun. I hope to see more of this.

Visit the Wip!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 02:02
Here's Hover Racer v1. Once you've downloaded it, I'll remove the attachment or just delete this post.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Another amazing project.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 11:20
Thanks Mike. Got it. On my lappy at work, so can't run it (don't even have winRAR installed here), but I can transfer it across when I get home.

Thanks mate!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 13:00
Wow! This is really good looking.. How do you get edges of objects that smooth? It looks already comerical quality..

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 13:37 Edited at: 13th Jun 2007 13:45
wow looks amazing!!! i love the cartoony "car"

To make it eaven more realistic looking, you could let you vehicle get darker if it's in a shadow by casting a ray (raycasting) to the light source and let the car get a darker texture and let the shadow disappear if the ray collides with something (= in shadow, can't "see" light)

just as an idea

EDIT:
or for the shadow just give it a color
(by using
set global shadow color r,g,b,a)
so you can't see it if the car is in a shadow
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2007 01:01 Edited at: 20th Jun 2007 01:02
Yeah, still have to think about the lighting engine. Think I'll go along the lines of the one I used in Claymore Island. I think the shadow stencil modulates with the scenery, so it'll never disappear in darker areas (it'll just get darker) until it reaches the shadow colour. Will have to investigate. Although it doesn't look quite right with the shadow visible in shaded areas, it is important to tell how far you are off the ground, so I might just keep it. Not decided yet.

I made another vid, just for fun (no new content really), with a tune I'm working on it the background. Might make it the theme tune. It seems to suit the atmosphere I'll be going for.

Prototype Engine Vid 3 (4.9MB WMV)

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2007 01:38
dude this looks great!!! is this going to be commerical?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2007 03:13 Edited at: 20th Jun 2007 03:14
Quote: "Yeah, still have to think about the lighting engine. Think I'll go along the lines of the one I used in Claymore Island. I think the shadow stencil modulates with the scenery, so it'll never disappear in darker areas (it'll just get darker) until it reaches the shadow colour. Will have to investigate. Although it doesn't look quite right with the shadow visible in shaded areas, it is important to tell how far you are off the ground, so I might just keep it. Not decided yet.
"

How about a neon-like glow instead of a shadow?

Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2007 19:19
Fallout, a friend told me, that you can make an object turn darker, when it goes in a shadow, on 3dws lightmapped level. How?

Deagle aka D-Eagle

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:28:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:28:20