Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / optical mice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 03:20
ok, my optical mouse has been fine until recently. Now, after about 5 mins of running my computer, it will start moving on its own and going generally crazy. Is it more likely to be a hardware fault, or should i check for viruses?
uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
AnalSauceMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 04:11
is it wireless? i have an optical mouse that is wireless and one that is not wireless. the wireless one was doing that. it would move into a corner by itself.

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 04:33
optical mouse are old stuff...

try an optical iron!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 05:42
never really had that problem... i think if you try a different *optical* mouse and it doesn't do that.... then i would say it's just a faulty mouse on ur hands...

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 20:23
lol u have no idea how hard it was to get to this site with my stupid mouse... its so annoying... if it was hardware, why would it work for 5 mins? im confused... argh i hate this piece of crap! glad im goin to cinema tonight, otherwise id be really bored with no mouse

Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you tried changing the batteries?

Andy

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 00:02
Change the mouse pad they don't like some colours.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 01:54
oftenly its a mousemat problem... mine goes nuts occasionally (oftenly costing me online frags)

stay away from reflective plastic, large areas of the same colour, or dense repeated patterns.

i'm guessing the worse would probably be a Reflective Black&White Chequered noise mat ... athough i've never tried one so couldn't tell ya.
most mats they sell now are made specially for optical mice in mind, with sepecial patterns and a dull top, however using it directly on the desk oftenly is a good option

that aside i think Solidz has been smoking something bloody strong recently (i mean how many freaky posts do we have to put up from him?)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Chessplayer
Years of Service
User Offline
I have that problem with my optical mouse too, but it isn't so bad. Every once in a while, the mouse will jump to a different part of the screen. My friend has an optical mouse and it works just great. I have used his and I have not had a single problem. I think you might just have a bad mouse.

This is still Chessplaer! I just decided to spell my handle correctly!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 02:35
you'll actually find the better mice do it more... the cheaper mice tend to do less DPI (although higher than a std mouse) and check the surface less.

makes them alot less prone to this, Micrsoft mice in particular have a DPI of almost 14million checking once every 8ns - makes thier definition so high that they have a tendancy on some surfaces when you leave them still to have the light reflected back at the wrong angle, where mose mice would jump the entire screen the MS mice just sit there and kinda flicker on the spot like it has alzimers

though there seems to be aproblem with the USB connections for them on occasion this is the problem, as they're designed for USB 2.0 and alot of boards are still USB 1.1 - so the definition is oftenly off a little causing instabilities another thing the cheaper mice dont suffer from.

ironic when you think about

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 02:46 Edited at: 26th May 2003 02:49
As usb is about the worst designed computer connection ever I would check that as well. Put it in a spare usb port of try blowing the dust out of it.

Or you could try the addapter you usually get with usb mice that converts it to a standard mouse connecter.

As for mice using usb2 why would they do it and how would it work with a usb1 chip
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 02:58
the connection is no different, the mechanics is no different - infact really the only true difference is in the divers and board bios of them... even then the variance is only different enough to let 150mb/sec of data as opposed to usb 1.0's 15mb/sec

as all usb 1.0 were to the same timing as standard peripherals whereas 2.0 has a variance rating to allow for the extra speed rather than just low speed or high speed its what is could cause the problem.

Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 03:39
ok thanks for all your help, unfortunately it was a little too late. In a furious rage i ripped the mouse out the back, swung it round and round and sent it crashing into my wall. I salvaged the parts to see how it actually works... then binned it. For now im navigating with keyboard. Tabbing through ALL the objects on this site takes hours... ill buy a new one tommorow morning. For now im going to bed before i wreck the keyboard too. Argh i just reached for the mouse

Evil Noodle
Years of Service
User Offline
er you didnt just have a squint desk did you :-s

T.A.F.K.A.C.M.O.T.D
The Artist Formally Known As Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 07:27
Mine old opitic mouse would jiggle like crazy every once and while, but that was the worse of it, at least the opitic part. About 2 months ago the left mouse button desided to go on strike. It took awhile getting used to my old ball mouse again, more so becuase the opitiic mouse was a 5 button mouse, and I had set the two spare buttons as the forward and back button on my brouser.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 08:14
hehe mental picture of manic hammer throwing his mouse made my day.

davidt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 01:12
If it's wireless then it will be the batteries. Every once in a while, my wireless mouse starts doing that, and I just replace the batteries and it works fine.

David

Spec - Abit NF7-S nForce 2, AMD Athlon 2100+, 256Mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000Pro, 20Gb Seagate U6, DVD-ROM, Zip 100, 15" TFT monitor
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 01:19
If its not a wireless, check the cord to see if any animal has been nibbleing on it. This happend to me when I had pet mice.

I bought a Logitech optical trackball mouse, with the cord, & I have had no problems with it at all, for the past 4 years, & its still working great.

If its cordless, I would suggest you go out & buy one that has a cord, as the battery feature is kind of poor, as I go through batteries about 4 daily (AA).

Also, you could try, if its USB, to get a USB to PS/2 mouse converter, so you could plug it in via that way, which is what mine is.

davidt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 01:24
4 batteries a day?! :-s

My Microsoft (sad, but it works!) wireless mouse only needs the batteries replacing about every 3 months. The batteries are also 2x AA's.

David

Spec - Abit NF7-S nForce 2, AMD Athlon 2100+, 256Mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000Pro, 20Gb Seagate U6, DVD-ROM, Zip 100, 15" TFT monitor
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 05:56
That does it. I'm sticking with ball mice for the next decade!

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 12:19
i like ball mice for games... because the ball mouse can handle a very fast jerk...

other than that they suck arse

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
LoKiDeCaT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 12:40
When my optical mouse acts up, I pick it up, blow the cat hair that's refracting the beam all over the place, and back to normal computing.

Pretty effective. Odd that yours just went belly up (then belly across the room, belly into the wall, belly under-foot..)

Loki D'Cat - Modeller, Composer, Animator
Nerdsoft Creations
Machine Specs: Athlon XP1800+, ATi Radeon 8500 64mb, 1GB RAM, Windows 2000 AdvSvr
Puzzler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 18:11
There is only 1 real solution- your office is suffering from polterguist activity- call in the exorcist!!!

Piecing together the puzzle of Dark Basic- Puzzler

AMD Athlon 500 MHZ (393216K), NVidia TNT, Windows XP Professional Edition

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:30:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:30:11