Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 12:35
I was wondering if I should buy Dark Basic pro.
I am really wanting to make a PC Game to sell but all the game makers I've tried aren't that good, or have loads of limitations of the types of games you can make.
Is this program easy?
How long would it take to make a small game?
How long would it take to learn the code?
Please give me your opinion on this product.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 15:13 Edited at: 25th May 2003 15:14
I was wondering if I should buy Dark Basic pro.

1)Buy It!

I am really wanting to make a PC Game to sell but all the game makers I've tried aren't that good, or have loads of limitations of the types of games you can make.

2)Very Unlikely you'll make money

How long would it take to make a small game?

3)Depends how small the game is, if you wanna sell it 1-2years plus however long it takes you to learn how to program.otherwise anywhere from 1/2 an hour to 6 months for an enjoyable game

How long would it take to learn the code?

4)Depends how keen you are

Please give me your opinion on this product.

5)i've got the cheaper 'classic' version [href]www.darkbasic.com[/href] its cheaper and if you haven't programmed before its great, download the demo first to see if you like it.

if you've never coded before don't expect to make money, if you have the right attitude you don't need the money its just fun/challenging

ARE YOU A 3D MODELER??? IF SO WE NEED YOU!!!
EMAIL mynameisnoneofyourbuisness@hotmail.com to work on the new Star Strike project!!!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 15:14
A small game could take, if you solidly code and know the language, 1 day. But most people don't soldily code, so I say a weekend, maybe a week. It really depends on the game.

And if you actually bother to sit down and learn the code (and don't skip over the compilacted looking bits) then it doesn't really tkae that long.

You are the th person to view this signature.
Programmers don't die, they just Gosub without return....
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 15:16
Darkbasic 1 is cheaper, but slower and older. PLus, the editor is a bit daunting at the start. If you want to create really good looking 3D games, go for Pro. If it's just 2D you're after, go for version 1.

You are the th person to view this signature.
Programmers don't die, they just Gosub without return....
Maxx illian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 15:44
Ahh...if you play your cards right. And talk to the right people. Then depending on how good your game is then sure you can make money. Just there's alot of factors involved. Thats why they say its unlikely.

*** Maxillian Software ***
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 00:07
I noticed that pro can do more things than classic. I remember looking at matrix's, & changing some values in a few fields, that someone else who owns classic couldnt. I increased a number by 100% & it worked in pro, but not in classic.

So like they said, for 2d, go for Classic, if 3d, go for Pro. If 3d with menus & sprites, go with Pro, if you want to make a commercial 3d application, go with pro, as it has better results.

I bought Pro & was happy with my purchase,

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 01:18
go with pro for 2d also

sprites are very fast in pro
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 04:10
Heck, pro over classic any day!

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 09:58:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 09:58:55