Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Does anyone going to visit SAINT-PETERSBURG?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 16:26
I'm from Saint-Petersburg. I'd like to know if anyone from DB coders going to visit us.
I'd like to change the world, but God doesn't want to give me sources!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 17:35
hmm... well western most russia is pretty far to travel just to visit someone you hardly know
they have conventions in Germany, perhaps you could actually goto that next time its on - i'm sure it'd be the easiest solution

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 18:43
"someone" ??? You havn't understood me I'm taking about city, not me!

As you, may be, know Saint-Petersburg will be 300 years old on 27.05.2003. 300 years is great date! There will be 50 heads and about 100 delegations from different countries, including USA and GB. There will be so many tourists! Also Saint-Petersburg is one of the beautifulest cities in the world. It is offen called North Vince... So if there is the reason why not?

n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 19:02 Edited at: 25th May 2003 19:04
Here are some images I'v found.

and very interesting links (camera emulation)
[href]www.panorama300.ru/biginformer.phtml?shot_id=11&mode=ipix&browser=ie&lang=rus&fgcolor=%23FFFFFF&bgcolor=%236D88CF[/href]
[href]www.panorama300.ru/informer.phtml?shot_id=10&mode=java&browser=&lang=rus&bgcolor=%236D88CF&fgcolor=%23FFFFFF[/href]
my favorite:
[href]www.panorama300.ru/informer.phtml?shot_id=9&mode=java&browser=&lang=rus&bgcolor=%236D88CF&fgcolor=%23FFFFFF[/href]

Just wait until they are loaded

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 19:20
lol... i've been there thanks with my last girl, it is certainly a beutiful city.
but i don't see why turning 300 for a Russian city would be that big of a deal, i mean half the villages in the UK are more than that.
and alot of the cities are even older (^_^)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 19:23
I could fly to Moscow and back in a day, but St. Petersburg? I am not sure.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 19:35
St Peterburg is slight north and more west than Moscow ...
i'm sure BA would do a good deal for it, especially if they expect a few people, probably be able to take like 3-4hr flight there.

question is would it really be worth it, i mean its a good city but if invaded by tourists ... i reckon it'd just feel like london or newyork

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 05:59
I'm not so sure St Petersburg can claim to be 300 years old, wasn't it also Stalingrad, and Leningrad? Should we really take the original inception of the city as the innaugarul date or the date when it was last given a facelift?

My home town has been around much longer, Huntingdon, but our history is far less colourfull. Our only claim to fame is that we play host to the residential home of British historys most famous Rebel, Oliver Cromwell. He wasn't even born here, just lived here a few years whilst he picked fights with the King. Infact my house is in the corner of the grounds although i've only once taken a wander through the gardens it is clear to see his 'common mans' upbringing wasn't as common as the common man.

With the temporary home of a rebel and a tyrant as our only claim to fame (although he's remembered affectionately he did kill thousands in the name of virtue just for dancing around a May pole (well ok, so maypoles wheren't quite so innocent back then)) perhaps St. Petersberg would be a better tourist attraction, afterall the worst that could happen is being overhead trying to buy a McDonalds by a Bolshevik.

Incidentally, few people realise but Oliver Cromwell was actually hung for treason, his body was exhumed 2 years after he died where-upon he was given the punishment he deserved.

Nice gardens though.

Pneumatic Dryll
n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 09:43
> half the villages in the UK are more than that. (300 years)
Of course, there are many cities older (for example Moscow), but St.-Petersburg is the biggest (in Russia) cultural and idustrial center. It was founded by Peter I, most important person in history of Russia, and was the capital for a long period. That's why we think 300 years is a great date.

> St Peterburg is slight north and more west than Moscow ...
Yes. The distance from Moscow to St.-Petersburg isn't very big, about 600km (~4-5 hours if you driving about 200 km\h)

> I'm not so sure St Petersburg can claim to be 300 years old
Saint-Petersburg is its historical name. Later the city was called Petrograd and then Leningrad. But after fall of the USSR citizen returned to their city its first name. And I think it should be so.

> Should we really take the original inception of the city as the innaugarul date or the date when it was last given a facelift?
I'm not sure I'm exacly understand what you mean... But I think yes.

> Nice gardens though
Best gardens with fantastic fountains are outside the city It'll take 30 minutes to get there by train.

> it invaded by tourists ...
usual traffic in cities of Europe:
1) London
2) Paris
3) Moscow
4) Saint-Petersburg
There are already many tourists, so if you havn't planned you trip I'm advice you to sit at home. By the way tourist mostly are so sunburnt! Why we are so white?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 13:02
Stalingrad is the southern town, god knows what its called now but its the one the germans tried to invade because it was the capital at the time (or something like that) ... i know its much further south.

though, as i've said personally i hate the ammount of tourists in London, the city is busi enough without directionless f**kwits wandering around. not that i'm complainin' or nothing hehee

as for the sun, remember your used to the difference in temperature with the bright sun - most tourists arn't. It's like when i first game to LA, its just so hot all the time - but after a while you get used to it and you notice you don't burn much anymore (although i've always been sensible enough to put on sunblock lol) and it doesn't seem so hot anymore
though i'm good at adapting to environments, but i think i know why you don't see too many fat buggers around the city - i think they're probably just selfbasting in the sun

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 15:39
Stalingrad = Volgograd

Ogres have layers.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 05:58
No matter how much you try to mess around with dates, a 100th, 200th, 300th etc aniversery is still pretty hard to contrive. I think they deserve a celebration regardless of how old the city 'really' is .

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:35:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:35:33