Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Helpful tips to get DGDK running in Express(C++)

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 10:37 Edited at: 14th Jun 2007 10:39
I spent about an hour and finally got my copy of DGDK updated and running. Ran into a few weird problems though. So here's a thread that can be dedicated to help troubleshoot for others having problems.

First and foremost, follow Lee's guide and the included documentation with the DGDK for installing all the proper components. However, double check the list below.

-Make sure you have the Microsoft .Net framework(2.0 or better) installed.
-Download the latest version of the platform sdk.
-Download the latest version of DGDK from your order history or the website.

When you create a new project:
1.) File/New Project/Win 32 Console Application
Then, select Windows Application and make sure ATL and MFC are not checked.
2.) When you've created your project, you can delete everything if you'd like. However, you must then go back to your project properties and change C-C++/Precompiled Headers/Create-Use Precompiled Headers to Not Using Precompiled Headers

3.)Go to your project settings and make sure you're compiling your project as a multi-threaded(/MT) program (Properties/C-C++/CodeGeneration/Runtime Library).
4.) Also, in the projects setting go to linker/input/ignore specific library and add 'atls.lib' if that library cannot be found when you compile your program.

If you get this error at all when right clicking on your project to get to the project options in the solution explorer.
Quote: "Failed to create .NET Frameworks PropertyGrid component.
Please verify that the Common Language Runtime and .NET Frameworks are properly installed""

Download this ttool.exe. Chances are if you haven't updated in a while like me, you were using a beta version of the Express compiler.

That's it, feel free to add. As for me, I'm going to finally start working on this DGDK and see what projects I can convert over.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 15:08
Hi I'm also using:

Additional Dependencies:
ole32.lib kernel32.lib oleaut32.lib Advapi32.lib
Ignore Specific Library: quartz.lib

If you want to use Winforms:

Compiler need to be Multi-Threaded dll (/MD)
Use Common Language Runtime Support (/clr)

About the code to put the GDK on a form should do something like this (thank APEXnow)

Also visit this link

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106333&b=22

Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 22:29 Edited at: 19th Jun 2007 22:34
Also if you are still cheap and are using the Freeware version of the DGK there are a few changes you will have to do. This is the a quote out of the "getting started" section of the help file include with the DGK:
Quote: "
Compiler Set Up - Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
To add the GDK include path to the Visual Studio 2005 environment -

go to "toolsoptions", select "projects and solutions" then select "vc++ directories"
add the DarkGDK include directory to the list of INCLUDE folders e.g. "c:\program files\the game creators\DarkGDK\include"
"

Please note that you will have a Different Directory name, "c:\program files\the game creators\DarkSDK Freeware Edition\include"

It took me a bit to figure that out. So I found it easier to just rename the directory to something smaller. (So writers do some more updating! ) oh well hope this helps.

Otherwise all of the above information is the same.

There are many answers but just one question" ~ Jerilith the Mad
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 20:03 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2007 20:04
I just wanted to add that I found I needed to do the same steps decribed above for atls.lib for the file named libc.lib.

also I want to note that in VS2003 - I noticed that nice "intellisense" and I don't seem to get that in VC++ Express. So when you type "dbLoadObject(" in VC++ express you don't get a hint on what the parameters are - but in Vs2003 you do. Time to upgrade to VS2005 I suppose (Because Sparky DLL works with that one) ... especially since the DarkGDK CHM help file is not alphabetized nor does the index or search function work!!!!!!!!! (this seems simple task.. we should have ALL the help files alphabetized.. DarkBasicPro also!) Search and index are USEFUL also. Anyway I'm starting to digress - good day.

Know way too many languages - Master of none
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
i've just started with the gdk... finally got the release builds workking, but debug seems to give me 2 linker errors, and i can't resolve em...

pretty much the same as you were getting...

--Mike

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 00:20:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 00:20:11