Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Milkshape models are stuck in the ground!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I am trying to import animated models from Milkshape into FPSC. I read gps's excellent description
(http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=66517&b=24)
and it kind of works for me, i.e. model & animation are exported and can be used in FPSC. However, regardless of what I'm doing, my model (for testing I used an imported .X character from FPSC itself) always appears stuck in the ground up to the knees!

This is what I did: Load the character into FragMotion, export it as .ms3d, load it into Milkshape, change the model a bit (just to see the difference), export it with DirectX (JT), as described in the thread.

Of course, I tried the various parameters in the FPE file (offy, fixnewy...) and I made sure that the character's position appears right in Milkshape.

Can this be a new problem occuring in version 1.05 RC2?
Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 09:44
I have the same problem and the various different fixes people are recommending around here does not seem to work for me.
The only thing that seemed to work for me is to actually export the character with a - offset Y.

Check out this thread, I posted a screenshot at the bottom of how exactly I got it to work.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106246&b=24
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 15:42 Edited at: 17th Jun 2007 11:13
The solution that works best for me.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=105542&b=24
You seem to be skipping a step in Fragmotion.

wetekom
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ezykeyal,
thanks a lot. Your solution seems to work, however I have to use different values for the Y-offset

However: Disturbing's solution (see last post) seems even better, as you don't have to calculate the y-offset. Have you tried that? I tried both ways and both worked! (Still one problem remains: the original texture seems to have been applied to the INSIDE of the mesh, i.e. you get a mirror image! Have to find out where this effect comes from!
wetekom
Years of Service
User Offline
@Disturbing 13:

Thank you very much! Good stuff - very helpful. After playing around a bit with the skeleton (obviously, mine looked a bit different than yours in FragMOTION) I managed to do it, thanks to your good description.
Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 15:25
I tried using Disturbing's method but somehow could'nt get it to work.
Your mesh having it's texture on the inside is possibly because you are using the close holes option.
I used that because parts of the woman's coat is single sided and would appear silly in the game.
It's a quick and dirty fix because I assume it will basically apply the textures twice to everything thus doubling the memory used.
wetekom
Years of Service
User Offline
Disturbing's method works, but his description does not quite fit with what you see when loading an FPSC character. I am seeing the picture I have enclosed. Note the "extra bone" in "Body01" which is hanging somewhere in the air? If you reset the coordinates of this to (0,0,0) it works! (It did for me, anyway.) Maybe you want to try.

Thanks also for your tip ("close holes"). Unchecking this did the trick!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 02:39
accually if the texture was on the inside of the model(in milkshape) it was because you were useing a .tga instead of a bmp or other format. 'close holes' didnt really do anything on the export, infact its kinda screwey if all your vertex's are'nt welded together correctly resulting in extra faces that are inside the model and not even seen. I see you used the aiko model wich does have the floating bone off to the side. some have it high above the character such as the robot character whos name escapes me and sometimes conker. I would use one that has the extra joint at hip height just to be sure.

Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 02:59
Hmmm that sounds rather wrong and I wonder where you got that from.

If we take our characters and we export them with the close holes option ticked on and suddenly they appear to be double sided while if the box is unchecked it does not, explain to me what that has anything to do with what you just explained to us?

Right now I'm trying several things with a custom skeleton to make it work properly although it works fine with an offset anyway.
I'll let you know if it works.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 05:44 Edited at: 17th Jun 2007 05:48
Where I got it from is 7 years of milkshape experience as well as trial and error. Here is how it works. Lets say you create a torso with open holes on each side to connect arms.Then a common practice is to create arms out of 2 open ended cylenders. Most people alighn each vertex (arms and arm holes) then snap the vertecies together, but they often forget to weld them right after. So you now have 2open holes (the torso and the arm) snapped together (not welded propperly) that when exported with close holes, creates faces to close up the cylender as well as the holes in the torso. That was the 'screwey' dangers of useing close holes. In milkshape when you import a model that was previously a .x useing the fragmotion method of changing it to an ms3d, and you use the .tga as the texture for it in milkshape I have often come across the model looking textured inside out. It's a milkshape glitch, but I then replace the texture with the .bmp version and Oh look at that it's not inside out anymore. So the close holes option In My Opinion is rather flakey tool to cover up mistakes in the initial model and did absolutely nothing to fix the insideout look in game. There was nothing to fix because it looked inside out in Milkshape due to the use of a .tga.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 07:47
Somebody just got owned...
Disturbing 13 is an expert on using Milkshape to make characters.
He is nice enough to share his expertise with you and...amazingly enough...he is the one who figured out how to fix the character problem.
It might be in your best interest to listen to those that have been around a while when they give you advice.

Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 13:03 Edited at: 17th Jun 2007 13:06
Owned?
No need to rub it in Fred.... *cry*

Ofcourse your explenation is much appreciated Disturbing.
Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 01:03 Edited at: 19th Jun 2007 01:03
It makes sense now, seems like all characters need to have a single seperate joint at exactly position 0,0,0 to start with.
I must have done something terribly wrong when following Disturbing's tutorial as I could'nt get it to work with the FPS's standard skeleton, now that I have constructed my own from scratch it works perfectly so thanks everyone for making me keep trying.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 08:46
if im not mistaken I think now the base bone set at x,y,z, 0,0,0 is becomeing an industry standard now. Before it didnt really matter, but this updates in engines and even new engines coming out it is becoming common practice more and more. Glad you got it fixed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 16:35:14
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 16:35:14