Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] Light's Out WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 23:57 Edited at: 16th Jun 2007 23:59
Hello, again. I am currently working on a sc-fi game set in the year 7514. I promise, I will not drop this project.

Here's the story:
Recent history has been revealed that the human-like alien race, the Krelic, has developed a war machine, named the R57-SK09, that can destroy the whole Solar System. Their current habitat is in the Occult Wave. We have placed 600 Occult Sectors in various locations. The Krelic's main interest is Occult Sector #598, which has the most human activity, 24/7. They are planning to invade #598 on 5/17/7514, which is only four weeks away. We hope to gather up as much humans as possible during the invasion. If you don't make it to our ship in time, you are definetly dinner for the aliens. Collect some firearms, ammo, and defend our Sector. Good luck,
NASA H.Q.

That's basically describing the first level. Pic #1 is attached. I will use my own media (made with Entity Workshop), and stock media.

You'll see my custom barrels in the right corner of the pic.

EDIT: Sorry for the download. If someone can download it, and then post it as an image file, that'd be a generous thing to do.

This is Mad-Man. Copy Mad-Man into your sig so he can rule the FPSC boards. How to do it? }+:+)+the message after the smiley=domination!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 00:16
The screenshot doesn't look as good as some of your previous games, but the story sounds really cool.

mastershake 354
Years of Service
User Offline
Here ya go, screenshot in Jpg.

Attachments

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 02:13
From now on if you start another game just post about it in this thread....Amercian Infantry's Unfinished WIPs thread...
Seriously,until you actually accomplish something nobody around here is even going to take this seriously.
This is like the fifth or sixth game you have started.
heck,even if it's only a few levels..please,for the love of humanity...finish a game.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 03:01
Yeah, AI, I would start out with a small game. You have better chances of finishing it then!

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 03:59
Thanks for the .jpeg, mastershake. I guess I forgot to convert it to .jpeg, eh?

Thank you for the advice, Inspire and FredP. I will shorten the game to 10 levels. And to Inspire, I've been away from FPSC too long, so that's why my level design sorta "mellowed".

I won't be around next week (vacation), so I'm suggesting that you generous forumers post suggestions/ideas/advice so I'll have something to read when I get back. And, all that vacation time will probably inspire me for some stuff for Lights Out.

This is Mad-Man. Copy Mad-Man into your sig so he can rule the FPSC boards. How to do it? }+:+)+the message after the smiley=domination!
bass guy1669
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 07:10
heres some advice...Get Jons SciFi rifle, and have better lighting, and maybe get Butters scifi char pack.

come see night shift at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106003&b=25 see you there
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 15:30
The sci-fi characters don't work with v104. I wonder why.....

And I think I don't need another sci-fi weapon, in my opinion.

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 20:46
Quote: "Amercian Infantry's Unfinished WIPs"

It's going to be a new FPSC Subforum??? ;-D

BTW: Nice screenshot.

Make games, not war.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 00:43
Quote: "The sci-fi characters don't work with v104. I wonder why....."

Get V105 then
bass guy1669
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 08:13
yeah thats what i use and they work great

come see night shift at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106003&b=25 see you there
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 08:25
ooks nice

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 18:24 Edited at: 18th Jun 2007 18:30
Ok, I'm not gonna sugarcoat this one bit, and mods, please don't think I'm flaming AI, I'm just trying to get the point across as every other method seems to have failed.

Quite frankly, the screen looks pathetic. Why? Because us forums members like to see games that would challenge our own abilities to make, and ones that encourage us to put even more effort into our game design. I even tried it, and managed to make a room practically the same as that, in under 5 minutes. Games that are sold in stores take years to develop, with hundreds of people working on them, so please show a *little* dedication and spend more time on your levels.

So, how can you make your game more appealing to us, your main audience?

Let me say my favourite saying one last time to you:
Quote: "If you can't be bothered to make the effort to make your own media, then how do you expect to have the determination to finish a game?"

So here, I even went to the effort of getting the links for all these *free* programs, for you to get a kick start in the world of game design. You will get much more attention to your games if you put this effort in, even a few new entities can attract a larger audience.

Anim8or Modelling Program:

Download:
http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html

Tutorials:
http://members.lycos.nl/jonim8or/tutorials.html

The GIMP Texture Program:

Download:
http://www.gimp.org/

Tutorials:
http://tutorialblog.org/gimp-tutorials/

LithUnWrap UV Mapping Program:

Download:
http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198

Tutorial:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78358&b=3

Paul

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 22:20
Paul112: Right on paul. Now thats what I call "putting your foot down"

Demon Sun.Coming 2007. Mature gamers Only!!

bass guy1669
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 07:48
GO PAUL thats what i was basicly saying in his LAST thread. WOOHOO

MonT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 08:31
meh,

Im with fred on this one, until you can actually find it in yourself to finish a simple game, i wouldnt expect too many people to really care about the games you make.

Its not like your games (no offense to anyone) will be going commercial anyways. At lease not until you put in the time and effort to make them the quality that they would need to be, or to even finish them in the first place.

As for what Pual said, i would reccommend that. If you put the time into creating your own custom media, you will be more hesitant before following the next shiny idea that pops into your head. Even if your media looks like a kindergarten drawing when you publish your game, you can still say "well i finished this game, my first game, and using all my own stuff".

Or you could just use stock media, just so long as you finally finish the project.

And, again i agree with fred. Dont even try and make this game a large scale one, because with all due respect man, that hasnt worked well for you in the past.

You need to make a small game, 2 or 3 levels max, and then publish it on the forums. By doing this youll show everyone that you have the capabilities to finish something that you start, and then you can start working on larger, more complex games.

Happy game making,

MonT

http://www.pyrogames.org
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 17:14
Hello, everybody!

I'm back from my week-long vacation, and lemme tell ya: I've gotten a lotta ideas from that break. Unfortunately, the only modeling app I've got is Wehtam_'s Entity Workshop, which, I admit, is a fine program. But, I wish he'd upgrade it soon, and you could be able to make any object. Not just boxes and arches, but actual tables, chairs, etc., and maybe enemy entities aswell.

I cannot work on Lights Out today, because I'm going down to Ohio for the day to visit family. I might get nice ideas there, also.

This is my hello to all you guys, and I truly missed all of you during my week-long break. I'll work on LO tomorrow, and the screen I posted? The game is still a pre-WIP, so it's like a "just-born" baby; it's not ready for life yet, so it stays in the hospital for a while. You see what I'm talking about? Lights Out was just spawned, and it has to stay in the pre-production stage for some time.

I'm planning on making around 6-8 levels, and if I make a sequel, I'll upgrade it to 11-15 levels.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 17:49
Well, I don't think Wehtam plans on making a fully-fledged modelling utility, it is merely for making static scenery objects.

If you want to make your own models, download Blender or Wings3D. I recommend Wings3D, it's what I use for my modelling. It's not that hard to learn to model.

"Or perhaps we're just one of god's little jokes?"
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 23:27
Why do I bother?

Paul

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 05:43
Quote: "If you want to make your own models, download Blender or Wings3D. I recommend Wings3D, it's what I use for my modelling. It's not that hard to learn to model."

Blender is my favorite.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 23:53 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2007 23:53
UPDATE & BUMP
----------------
Hello, again. Since I have been on vacation, I haven't been able to update my game.

I recently upgraded my FPSC from v104 to v106 RC4. I am posting a screenshot of the new level 1; this is a "promo" shot. Notice how great the light, in my opinion, looks.

If you can see those little computer terminals to the left, I didn't make them. I got them off of fpsFREE.com in a Mainframe pack.

Attachments

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 04:40
I dont think it looks that bad! i think people should give you a break! You've stuck with this project for 9 days now assuming your still working on it, and it looks ok! have a penguin for your efforts

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 16:47
Thanks for the penguin.

And thanks for your comment(s).

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 00:25 Edited at: 27th Jun 2007 16:25
Here's a tiny little update for y'all.

I haven't been working much on my game, so I'll do that now. Expect a screen up later on today. I've decided for an update for LO to happen, so here it is.....

I have a list of the story and the enemies' background info:

The year is 7514. Astronautic soldiers have discovered an earth-like planet; similar people and customs. They worship the same gods, but they don't speak any understandable language! They only speak in incoherent grunts (hopefully my microphone is working) and noises. The astros (I'm gonna call the astronautic soldiers 'astros') uncovered a secret tomb underground that was hidden away for 10,000 years. The only inhabitants are mutated insects and what the astros call "lurkers". The aliens of the planet do not want the humans around, so a war sparks off. Trapped in the temporary bunker--Occult Sector #598--with only a power battery that lasts only 24 hours, you must find the aliens' anti-power machine, destroy it, and get out of there!

Enemies
-------
<>Infantry: These guys are the main enemy force you'll fight in the game. They can use every weapon in the game, and can be found almost everywhere. FPSC char.: Conker
<>Lurker: These are undead enemies that can claw at you at their undead heart's comtempt. They are weak, though, and cannot use any firearm. FPSC char.: Fat_Zombie
INSECT ENEMIES REMOVED. SEE MY NEW POST!
Well, I hope you enjoy this update for LO. It contains a lot of info for the game. Screens will be coming today or tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 04:39 Edited at: 27th Jun 2007 04:40
Sorry for the triple post, but i have an attached pic.

It is a view of the bio-chamber, like a prison cell for the suucessfully captured aliens.

More screens coming soon! And I'm using v106 RC4 for this game.

Attachments

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 04:41
Wow, that new update doesn't sound good at all. Sounds horribly cheesy.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 04:43
I know, doesn't it? All we need is a emoticon of cheese, and we'll be all set.

If you cannot see the attached pic above, here's an image of it.

Rilejarom
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 06:00
last pic look snice AI but finish this dude. I wouldn't try to sell it no way because you haven't finished one yet so everyone will think its full of bugs and crap. Good luck though.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/jarom01/example7.gif
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 15:56
Thank you, Rilejarom.

Expect more screens today!

OFFTOPIC: On a side note, I may be getting The Sims 2 at my local store. It's in stock for $30. If anyone here owns TS2, can you tell me what it's like so that I get my money's worth? thanks.

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 16:11 Edited at: 27th Jun 2007 16:11
I've got The Sims 2 and University expansion pack for it. The game is nice and it's really worth of $30. I bought it myself for 60€ couple of years ago and I still play it sometimes. If you have played and liked The Sims 1, you MUST buy The Sims 2. It's way better than the first one.

But anyway let's stay in a topic, shall we?

Your game doesn't look half bad. Some more detail and scenery here and there and it will look good. This game has potential.

EDIT: Removed some typoes.

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 16:24 Edited at: 27th Jun 2007 16:26
Thank you.

Also, an enemy character I forgot to list:

<>War Drone: These guys are just nasty. They can use extremely powerful weaponry (Microgun*, Shocker), and are a pain in the (insert the a-word here). Armored and armed to their metal teeth, they can kill you fast; you cannot, because they have armor. They can kill anything (even their fellow drones) without retalitation.
FPSC char.: AI

NOTE: I am taking the insect enemies out of the game because they wouldn't fit in with the whole 'alien' theme.

EDIT: The asterik is there for a defenition. A Microgun is like a minigun, but is more handheld, but still powerful.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 19:57
Game looks ok. You've done better though.

'Astros' sounds like a stupid character in a childrens cartoon. Mabye you should change that.

Also, don't give us enemy lists. They are just descriptions of FPSC characters. We all know what they look like and do. If you want to post enemy lists, atleast retexture some and mess about with AI!

Even if you suck at texturing you should atleast try. People will be impressed to see that you've put in some effort even if the texture looks rubbish. You use alot o stock media and nothing you can call your own. Give us something new!

PS: Finish this!

Meh...
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 20:39
It looks ok, but you should've at least paid attention to paul's advice, and I'm sorry but I don't think you will finish this like you say you will. I admittedly create many levels that I like but don't finish, yet I still don't make a thread for each one. You should try to create custom media at least, even if it is using ms paint and anim8tor, you can't rely on wetham's program to do everything for you, even if it is really good.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 22:55
Hello, everyone!

Sorry for the 5-day bump. If anyone was wondering if LO is dead, the answer is a big, fat no. I recently got the Sims 2, and I was hooked onto that game like a bass on a fishing rod.

I'll try to squeeze in some time to work on LO. The only downside is that I have a terrible flu (probably bronchitis), so I'd be resting (or playing the Sims 2) rather than working with FPSC. I'll have to get my FPSC manual out of the dust! Just kidding, it's right on the desk. Also, on the 4th of July, I might have an early beta demo ready, but I'm not sure yet.

Also, the current level I have will be scrapped, because....it, well, sucks. Big time. But, do not worry, as I will avenge the death of my game-making skills. I'll be sending out invites for the funeral.

I just wanted to say that LO is definetly not dead, just...on vacation. Sorry, he has left the office. Come back tomorrow.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 23:37
Are you deliberately ignoring the hints me or paul gave?
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 15:34
I'll see if I can get my dad to allow me to download a modeling program. But; which one is better: Anim8or or Blender?

Like, could I see a pic of the interface for each?

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 18:29 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2007 18:30
I would advise you not to get blender because it is simply too difficult to use as a starting program. Anim8tor is good, except it lacks features but get it still. If you need anything static though, I can model somethings for you, just to help you get your game unique.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 18:44
I used Blender as a starting program, and I picked it up instantly. You just have to do bunches of tutorials.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 19:31
@ voronican: That's a very generous offer. Of course I need some more stuff!

I'll email you the stuff I want, okay?

mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 20:21 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2007 20:22
Quote: "I used Blender as a starting program"

I started out with milkshape but then i used Blender and it was awsome (just be aware of learning it which is the best part)

Quote: "I'll see if I can get my dad to allow me to download a modeling program"

... (no offense)
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 22:28
My dad could care less if my game needed custom stuff or not. Go ahead and make fun of him, but it's not his fault; he isn't into gaming as much as I am.

mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 23:19 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2007 23:23
Okay, just calm down. This game is coming along nicely and I have nothing against your father I was just wondering why you had to ask him if you could download it, I wasn't making fun of him.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 01:12
Wings3D is an awesome tool, which I use for all my work. It's free, and open for any use, commercial or not. Features standard commands and stuff, and is well good enough to make almost any model.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 16:07
Wings3D.....hmmm.

So I can make ANYTHING? Like, if I wanted to make a gun turret, how would I do that?

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 21:13
Simple as pie, I'd do it by first making a box, making the top smaller, inset where the "neck" would be, smoothen the "neck" inset, extrude, put on another cube for the head, make a cylinder for the barrel, texture it and animate it in Milkshape.

Okay, I guessed you didn't precisely ask for an in-depth description, that above was a j/k. But after a while of trying, you could easily make a static gun turret, and animate it if you'd like. Wings doesn't support animation, however, so you'd have to load the model up in another prog that handles animation.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 21:19
Animate in Milkshape. Apparently it's easy.

mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 21:28
Animating in milkshape is the easiest way to go.
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 18:56
Quote: "American Infantry:
By the way: I hear Suomi is the freest country in the world. Is that true?"

You asked that in another thread which got locked. I'm not sure did I get you right but everything here is really expensive and taxes are high. In the other hand our wage level is high and there isn't much poor people here. So no, Finland isn't free country at all. Also where did you hear that? I'm just curious.

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 20:17
I heard that on wikipedia.org.

People just say things on there. Stupid, yet sometimes true, things.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 20:32
Sorry for the double post....

Expect a screenshot of the new #598 soon! (I'm scrapping the current one)

I will also make a rocket-like thingy in the level. You'll "board" it, and the level will end there.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:02:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:02:43