Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / newbie question (products)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
if i were to buy all of the programs listed on this wesite, could i use all of them to create one game?

Is that neccessary or do they not all work together?

example: if i were to but dark basic and 3d canvas could they be joined together to create one game?
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 03:13
Most of them do different things. You wouldn't need all of the programs on the website, because most of them do the same thing as another one. DarkBASIC is a programming language, whereas 3D Canvas is a modeling program, that you use to make in 3D models to use in a game. To make a game you would probably need DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC Professional (I recommend DBP), a modeling app (like milkshape, not listed on the website, but a lot cheaper than what is listed on the website), a world building app (like 3DWS), and some sort of image editing or creating program like Paint Shop Pro (also not on the website). Good luck, and feel free to ask questions .

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 06:36
There are also some free alternatives, but there is usually a trade off for the price; either in complexity or features. Many people use both free and commercial tools for making games. Many others stay with professional or commercial tools, when they can.

You just have to find the tools that work for you. Most application tools have demos or limited free versions to try before you buy.

Making nothing for the forth straight year.

Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 07:20
Look up the free modeler called Blender. It's pretty hard to learn at first, but once you figure it out, you will not regret it. I gave up the first time I tried it and went with simpler programs, but now I wish I would have used it the whole time!

Anarchy Burger - hold the Government!
andrey d
Years of Service
User Offline
The only thing I've bought is DBPro and I've been able to go about creating games just fine with free tools. I would definitely recommend against buying all the products TGC has to offer because I think it would be complete overkill.
B d0t T
Years of Service
User Offline
all you need to do is look around, and find free programs like i did, i find that the free programs are good and still do what you need them to do.

im not good at this dark basic stuff
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 22:47
Caligari Truespace is the modeller of choice for me, but it has a very strange interface compared to most other 3D modelling programs. You'll either love it or hate it.

TrueSpace V1 is very old, but free and is VERY difficult to find. If you are interested though, you can download it from the 3D board on my forums.

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 01:16:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 01:16:24