Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Making a big game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have made several small games and i think i am ready to have a crack at a proper game. Is there any advice anyone can give me about this please?
BlackRat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2002 22:49
A big game huh?... well.. i'm no expert but I think ill state the basics.

1)Plan it ALL out on paper first. Everything from the looks, to the sound, to the controls.. EVERYTHING!

2)Keep your code TIDY. If you let it slip, before you know it you will end up with 500 pages of code, which could never be understnad

3)ALWAYS takes regular breaks, otherwise you will end up getting tired, and doing things which are make-shift, therefor your game wont be as good as it could have been.

(sorry for any mistakes)

The flying babel fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Should i make the graphics and music first or later?

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 00:57
That depends on how good your plan is. I never plan anything, so my code is evolutionary. I write some code then think 'I need an image for that' then make it. Technically with good enough design you should be able to make all the media first, but it depends on your preference. You should at least have a basic gameplay engine up, even if it contains only cubes and un-textured matrices.
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 17:42
Write your code and use 'placeholder' media, like primitives and such. Once you've got a working engine you can start with the media. Sometimes I look for media when I'm not coding to break the monotony.

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
MiRRoRMaN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2002 01:54
I'm a professional games coder who has released many games already, I say make the graphics and music AFTERWARDS. Music can also be done while your coding to further inspire you on the story.

Use plain blocks etc while programming. it makes it all so much easier. And what the other guy said: Plan ahead a long time.

Make a sketchboard with screens/menu's etc.

www.mirrorman.cjb.net, the classic Commodore 64 and Amiga site.
SpiralMinice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2002 03:18
i agree with all of the coments made by the people here they are good points and you should note them. I realy agree with TheDarthSter about building the game and media as you go along, this is good because it keeps you from getting to board with each part of the game. Another thing if you are reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllly seirous about making a big game then you probably should first work on a level editor and concentrate a lot of time on it.

Come children and i shall bring you into unlevend
feilds of faraf fo sdlief dnevelnu otni uoy gnirb llahs i dna nerdlihc emoC
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2002 23:49
i agree with the above, but before i start a big project i always write/type out ideas and stuff.

for example, a new fps i would open notepad, write down the storyline and characters, to a who? what? why? where? when? how? scene. This really does help you in the furture, if you get all ideas down first so you dont have to prospone development because you havent thought far enough ahead.

...:::ShockForge:::...
www.shockforge.com www.havochost.com www.s8i.com
...:::ShockForge:::...
Anonymous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 12:22
Make really fast and bad graphics and do programing first then do good graphics then add sounds and finally touchs. Thats what I do. The graphics a sometimes boring to make but programing is fun. You can do it anyway you thing is the best way. And once you got your graphics don't keep on changing them. Then you game will naver be done.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:26:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:26:14