Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / A mite be a WIP :P

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 03:06
Well, its been a while sence ive posted here, been up to other thangs. Well while i was gone i improved my C++ skills by about 150% while doing a Star Wars Galaxies Emulator.

So i decided to check back in the forums here, i also decided im going to be using darkbasic again. To make an MMO, (btw before you people start calling me a noob or flame, ive got now alot of experiance with server-side stuff, such as SQL database stuff, UPD Winsock stuff, ect..., hence the fact ive been working on a Star Wars Galaxies Emulator).

Well i would just like to lay it out on the table for ya, im considering on making a DarkBASIC "Easy" MMO DLL and an MMO Maker. Ok so you probley wondering "why 2 not one" well the reason is, not everyone programs and here is an explanation of what they will probley be like.

DLL:
This will include everythang basic to make an MMO. It will have premade packets which i will be using pointers to function to make, so when you call a function in the dll like "SendNewCharacterDate(parms here)" it will build the packet and send it for you. I will include all that is nessessary for a good MMO. I will also be making a ByteBuffer for an easy way to make and read packets. So if you wanted to make a new packet you would just do something like:

makenewbuffer(int bufferid)
serializepacket(99)
writeinttobuffer(9)
writestringtobuffer("Hello!")

For the database part of this DLL, i would have it all internally handled by the DLL. So all you would have to do is start the server through the dll and you would have NPC's,Inventory,Quests,ect... all handled by the server. All you have to do is call function to update the info or insert info into the database e.g. function like:
UpdatePlayerPos(x,y,z,id);
DeleteCharacter(id);

MMO Creator:
This is pretty selve explanitory.

Well after all is said the reason for the title is, i want to know if you would would be interested in me making this. I dont make crap stuff, it will not be free but will not be expansive , but it will not be crap.

If yes i will get working right away else just say no . Sorry for the long post

PS: if there are any star wars galaxies fans out there, like i said im working on a Pre-CU emulator with people here is the site... www.swgprecu.com and the youtube group http://youtube.com/group/swgprecu. TC gose up in 1 week !!!

DarkLegion Studios - Coming Soon
Lordcorm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 05:12
21 views no replies.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 05:35 Edited at: 21st Jun 2007 05:38
You haven't shown us anything. All you've done is told us you're working on a group of people with the SWG Pre combat upgrade emulator.

EDIT: And we have no way to know if we'd like it if it hasn't even been started. I still don't think you realize the scope of what your embarking on.

Oh, and spelling "might" wrong in the title isn't a good start to being taken seriously.

Lordcorm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 05:53
Really, i do know what im taking on. Most programmers dont understand that 99% of an MMO is controlled by the server. Client side isnt so much to do other than load and handle objects.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 06:34
I was gonna post, then I thought, nah, dont waste my energy... but then I thought, I might as well before someone else does.

This board is for games that have work done. You have nothing done.
Why would you even consider posting yet?

Is the Game Design theory board hidden or something?

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 06:38
Agreed, Lordcorm, just show something at all I'm sure you have something to show...

Lordcorm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 07:26
Tommarow my boy

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 07:33
well then you should have posted tomorrow k try and get em dude, dont make me a fool for believing in you...

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 07:48
max still rendering your 'ingame' shot? j/k

though, i thought you needed screens to post a wip

BWM

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 07:59 Edited at: 21st Jun 2007 07:59
Quote: "Most programmers dont understand that 99% of an MMO is controlled by the server. Client side isnt so much to do other than load and handle objects."

Does it matter if 99% of an MMO is controlled by the server? You still have to program everything that has to do with the game, client and server side, despite how much of the game is by the server, and as of now, it appears that you've done nothing. And why an MMORPG? I don't understand why everyone wants to make them when they are really not any better than other types of games.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 08:01
Uhm,some MMO's have all CHARACTER based stuff by the client,and all MESSAGE requests by client,and QUEST requests too.POSITION requests of objects and other stuff are client too.

Server just connects all players.Client handles most data already.Only the connection is done by the server.

Lordcorm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 08:13
Yes POD those are requests, but who has to compute the response.... the server. You cant get data from no where.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 08:34
if you worked this hard on your project instead of excuses nobody'd be complaining

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 10:41
Lol, another uber-MMORPG idea. I wonder how long this one is going to last.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 10:52
I think you could call this a wish in progress instead of a work in progress.I have to wonder the same thing everybody else has...why you even posted this here.
Part of a work in progress is work...and you haven't done any.
If you would have read the stickies at the top of the forum you would know that you're not ready to post this.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 11:05
Haha, Wish in Progress! I love it Prepare for me to rip that off from you.

Come see the WIP!
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 19:46
Cash, there is already a board for that called 'Game Design Theory'.

I mean, look at it, everyones all eager to start a project there. You could probably find 900 search results for "I cant wait to put this in the WIP board!"

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 20:43
Quote: "Cash, there is already a board for that called 'Game Design Theory'.

I mean, look at it, everyones all eager to start a project there. You could probably find 900 search results for "I cant wait to put this in the WIP board!""

Heh, I never visited the board. I suppose some people must crawl before they walk.

Visit the Wip!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:27:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:27:32