Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Inside helicopter

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 04:53 Edited at: 21st Jun 2007 04:57
well everyone has been saying that standing in a moving helicopter cant be done.

This vid(link below) shows a wip of getting into helicopter and moving up while shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd8OKTb9hTM

Like to give credit to rolfy for his head start on this and also xplosys for his lift scripts that was edited.

I will upload a better vid later.

best s4
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 05:34
Nice stuff,s4.

TEST OF WILL
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats awsome I got full fraps if you want I will record for you just saying this is so cool!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 09:47 Edited at: 21st Jun 2007 10:30
I just know I'm gonna flamed for asking this

I know this works for up/down,if it can be made to work in same way with directional maneuverability then would a helicopter/hovercraft or even car as a vehicle be possible?

Its not the same idea as using a weapon/hud for that purpose,you can look around inside the entity as it moves.
I suppose the real difficulty may be in turning or rotating the entity left or right.I wouldn't know, this is why it's best left to you scripting guru's

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 20:16
The rotating and up or down is real easy. But to be able to move up and down you have to ascoiate the player, which means you can't go forwards and backwards.

I got so anoyed when I worked that out after writing my UFO script for 1 and half hours (yeah i'm a slow scripter).

tyrano

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 20:22
I made a moving vehicle script, has some serious issues so I didn't use it. However, the basics are simple - teleport the player. It would be okay for a cutscene type drop off, but you couldn't aim (it resets the player direction) so it wouldn't be very good for shooting from it in a flyby or something. Could easily be used though to follow waypoints at the beginning of the level or something.

Vote today and play the games!
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 20:35
Took ya long enough to get back to this....

How long ago did ya have me punch the hole in the heli mesh?

I need a faster partner!!

hehe

Best
Loc

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@rolfy : Always wants more lol

@Loc : Yeah been woking on it off and on took some time.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

best s4
will_help
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 03:08
it looks cool

-will
webcrtor
Years of Service
User Offline
this movie was made in multiplayer mode, didn't know you could have dynamic entities in mp mode...
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 12:46
I cant say I see the helicopter moving, besides from a slight movent, of less than one unit. Unless youtube has messed up the video, or I'm still asleep, then what was the point of this?

It was basically you jumping into a helicopter with tonnes of lag

I thought I was going to see you get in and the helicopter lift off well above the buildings
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 13:15
Lol, I did this by putting "lift1.fpi" as a tables main AI script. I jumped on top of the table and it started rising into the air.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
The vid doesn't really do it justice,if it were a little longer you would see that you can actually step inside the helicopter and rise,which is different from standing on top of something rising.
The way the lifts in FPSC work at the moment you just stand on a platform and rise inside a tube,this is because you cannot step inside a dynamic entity.
This way you can.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 15:59
Quote: "I know this works for up/down,if it can be made to work in same way with directional maneuverability then would a helicopter/hovercraft or even car as a vehicle be possible?"

I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that it is possible. We just haven't figured it out yet. Hey, last week it was impossible to step inside a dynamic entity, right?

Even if the horizontal movement is never accomplished, I think it's very cool. I see a winzone two floors above the chopper and it slowly lifts you out of the combat zone while radio chatter plays in the background and the games fades to black.
Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 17:24 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2007 17:25
Ive uploded a better vid to show u moving up and moving inside the helicopter as well,also jumping out off the helicopter to see how far it moved up.

The point is as X said you could not get into a dynamic opject last week with this method you can.

@Higgins : The lag is because of fraps and you should know this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjpWAxav7w

Best s4
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks a lot better s4,it would be much better without the lag from fraps.I know it should be running faster than this in game as your screenshot has 28fps.

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 19:11 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2007 14:18
Quote: "Even if the horizontal movement is never accomplished"

there is no nead for that. You can just rotate the entity. then you can have free movement. I guess we could do a car right now actually. As we dont have to ascoiate the player to make yourself move up and down, so we can move forwards and backwards...

Trying tomorow.

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Good work! Have you figured out how to make your rotor blades turn? Is it possible to stick a decal on it to create the illusion of spinning? With the engine sound for ambience it would not take much to create an effective illusion. Combat action would keep the players attention focused away away from the blades.
Just a thought.
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 18:54
or you could just animate them...

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 19:59 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2007 20:00
I always thought it was a great idea that butters had, making a more futuristic jump ship as opposed to a chopper, which took away the problem of animating the rotors. Of course that won't work well in a WW2 game. LOL

Best.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 20:55 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2007 20:56
Wouldn't be difficult to animate those rotors
I'm sure Loc' could do it no problem,just hasn't got round to it yet.

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 23:43 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2007 23:44
Yeah just two joints. One for the static bit. One for the rotor (seperate, not fused into the top). Rotate the rotor one and tada!

Oh yeah and xlosys this isn't WWII. Look at the screenie. It's in space.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 23:47
Quote: "Oh yeah and xlosys this isn't WWII. Look at the screenie. It's in space."

Yeah, I know. But a jump ship still wouldn't work well in a WWII game.

Best.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 01:34
Well I never animated it as I don't waste my time on things until we know if there going to work. I've been asked to animate the blades now, and if this actually works, then we revert to the ground floor and make a heli from scratch, as this one isn't ours and was for demonstrations purposes only. We just got one of the many free ones available on the net and I punched a hole in it and added some polys(hence the horrible mapping job on the interior....Come on, when have I ever put out something that was mapped that badly?)

This is more s4 showing things can be done. None of the "i's" have been dotted, or the "t's" crossed. Just a demonstration of getting in a dynamic object and the player moving from within this object..Nothing more or less. As we don't normally care if we show off anything that gets worked on, every once and a wile it's nice to show off, and solidify some of the possibilities of FPSC that are said to be impossible....

Best
Loc

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 02:15
No worries. It was obviously thrown together to demonstrate the lift effect, at least to me.

I'm betting the blade animation will be a real bear to make anywhere near realistic. I doubt FPSC has the speed to do it right, although there is probably a way to fool either the eye or the engine.

Can't wait to see it. I stood on many a huey skid flying NOE in Korea, and it's a lot of fun. I hope you can bring back some memories.

Best.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 16:46:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 16:46:27