Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Ulidia rpg WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 11:44
Back again in a new thread with progress on Ulidia.
The quest system is still being tweaked but the bulk of it is in and working.
Along with this the chat system is being coded as they really go hand in hand.
Modeling continues at its usual rate currently being worked on are some of the game characters and the castle interiors.
Next time ill hopefully have a video showing the quest system in action, until then happy programming all.
Click the link below to watch a short video showing some of the building interiors.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WXoTZF0ZRzM

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 11:47
Looks inceridble!!!

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
yep very nice

Sry for mybad english
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 17:52
Wow, that looks fantastic.

Turbo Pig
Years of Service
User Offline
Beautiful work. Quick questions/comments:
1) I notice the trees "filling up" as you approach them (this is a good thing). Is this the result of LOD code in your game or it "automatic" with DBP?
2) It would be nice if the objects (furniture, trees, wheelbarrow, etc.) had shadows, but I assume these were placed separately so that the player can interact with them.
3) I find huds in these type of games difficult to read, but I totally understand that you'd want to maximize the space for the stunning visuals and immersive experience.
Very inspiring (those trees...wow).
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 00:24
Awesome job, I remember the old WIP for this. The graphics look amazing, and make Pirates of Port Royale's look like crap, lol . Great job.

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 03:37
@ Turbo Pig

The LoD objects are objects which have less polygon the further away from the camera you get this is just a distance function. As far as shadows go I have have had problems with the built in shadow shader since upgrading to the latest beta. The hud graphics let you know what they are when you mouse over them as this saves a few bytes in the game screen. Also dont big up the game too much as Pirates of Port Royal and Geisha House are further along in this project than I am at present and kudos should be paid to those guys as they keep raising the bar and keeping me on my toes as I think all games should be.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yeah mate you might need to change the music because its Fable Copyrighted music.

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 15:31
The music is only for the purpose of the video and its not from Fable.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 19:33
VERY impressive work, the video really shows alot more than those screenshots do. Keep it up!
Turbo Pig
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with you on the shaders. I couldn't get the shadows looking just right plus it killed my framerate. For now, I'm going with lightmaps and bitmap shadow objects. Thanks for the reply and keep moving forward!
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 15:55 Edited at: 29th Jun 2007 15:58
It's music from TES IV Oblivion

It look aaaaaaaaaawsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you working on fog? Or are you going to have LOD?

Footsteps W.I.P

[url]nack-pro.se.nu[/url] It's swe!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 16:29
In order to use the built in shadow shader in hardware mode you have to have all bones assigned in your model. If you don't then it will cast shadows as if the unassigned bones are solid. You can't see them, but it looks like garbage. Lots of models have unassigned bones, surprisingly. In order to make a proper RPG you'll eventually have to animate everything with a similar bone structure anyway.

Something else that you should do in order to use it is to use low poly versions of the animated model for shadowcasting. Casting shadows with a high poly model kills performance, but using a model with say... 300 polygons and the same bone structure works absolutely great. That's how I cast shadows in Geisha House.

Looking good, keep up the good work.

Come see the WIP!
Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 05:05
@ Nakidno
I had fog in the game till the shadows messed up on me, the LoD objects are in place if I decide to take that route. Problem there being I hoped to fade in the objects with alpha mapping although it doesn't seem to work with my light mapped objects. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this if they have experienced the same thing.
@ Cash
I have low poly LoD objects which should be casting the shadows onto the AT. This worked well until I upgraded to 1.066, after which the shadows only cast when not looking toward the light source. Im not sure why this is happening so im gonna look into evolved's soft shadows to see how they hit my performance.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 01:39
Magnificent as always! I've always loved this particular RPG. It looks like the best one out here.

You always give us great screen shots. I can not wait until the next update.

Blue Rogue
Years of Service
User Offline
the graphics are amazing. somewhat reminds me of morrorwind (graphics wise)
Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 22:17
Video # 2

Video showing the village of Cairlyn

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9i8PUsTzmKA

Well until the next update happy programming all

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 22:27
WOW. That is looking amazing, and a good FPS too . Hopefully the gameplay will be as good as the graphics .

Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 23:50
Chris Ritchie I've a question for you, is your text over sprites? how did you achieve this?

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 23:58
@ Jna99

The text on screen is over the top of 3d planes locked to the screen.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 00:52
Wow. Very very very (may i stress very?) impressive work, again! You really have a great atmosphere going. 2 questions and 2 minor criticisms for you:

1. How are you rendering the terrain? is it loading dynamically, or just one really big terrain?

2. Can you tell us a little about the background story and whether it will be freeform ala oblivion?

a. The trees look awesome! except for when they glitch between LOD models.. Probably not really important for you at this stage of development, but it bothers me.

b. The water and ground dont seem to match the sky, they are warmly lit as though at sunset, yet the sky is bright blue.

Just little graphical niggles, but otherwise a great job, I cant wait to see more
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Very impressive visuals and the music you used is top notch. Maybe you could move the buildings closer together to get more of a town look.

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 03:19
@ draknir

Hi thanks for the comments
1 The terrain is AT terrain.
2 The game is set in Ireland 800 ad. The storyline focuses around the Viking attacks which happened at this time. Taking on the role of one of the soldiers in the Red branch knights it will be your job to defend your land against the northman invaders. The main questline will follow the story setting you on missions to alert the kinsmen to the call of arms, sabotage raids, defend towns or whatever is needed to protect your king and lands. There will be many other quests apart from the main line so it will be pretty much free roaming.
a: Yep I know about the glitch with the trees, it is as you say the transition between lod objects and ill sort it out on a bug stomping later.
b:Things are being changed as I go along so the sky may be different before the end. I still havent added shadow mapping to the terrain itself so that may help a bit.
@ Jimpo

Hi and thanks for the comments
Cairlyn is a through-town deep in the countryside, the main towns are fortified with outer walls and have the buildings in a closer proximity.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 04:23
Let me side with draknir. I can't stress "very" enough neither.

Actually, my girlfriend was watching along while I checked the forums and when she saw this she wanted to see and read everything available about it. I think you have a fan.

Big thumbs up and I can't but hope the gameplay will be as impressing as the looks.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 06:15
.........WOW.........
What else can I say, that is great work.

Regards,

Diablo 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, my jaw hurts like holy hell from this! It would NOT stop slamming into the floor! This is without a doubt THE most impressive work I've ever seen in the DB forums! This quality work is good enough for the professional market! You should defo plan on selling this thing for a good sum! I'd be willing to pay for this! Just hope the gameplay is gonna live up to expectations, and trust me, judging from the visuals, this game will have a LOT of expectations!

Just 1 question, will this be single player only?

Good luck with this project. Bookmarked and watching closely!

Self Destruction Computer Entertainment
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
This is great man so cool the hood the graphics, EVREYTHING! IS GOOD!. Keep up the good work
Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 12:53
Thanks the game is looking quite nice continue the good work!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 16:08
WOW! This game is looking very beautiful

I've not read through this tread so excuse me if I comment on something that's been mentioned already.

1. First the HUD is a bit boring. It's very clean and functional and not bad looking. Just lacks a little something. Since we will see it all the time while playing it would be nice with something a bit more eye pleasing considering how good the world looks.

2. You have some very large open areas and long distances between buildings. I'm afraid that this might be a bit boring when running around.

3. Please do something about the trees changing when the player approaches. I find it very annoying and totally destroys the beautiful scenery and the player's suspension of disbelief.

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 17:23
@ everyone
Thanks so much for the comments guys.

@ Diablo 3D
Yes this will be single player only

@ Digital Awakening

1 Yep I agree about the hud it was made quite a while back and could do with updating.
2 The buildings in the video are on one of the main roads between the towns. The other towns buildings are much closer together.
3 The trees glitch has been mentioned and it will be fixed, its caused by the transition between the lod and main poly objects. Ill have this switch looking much smoother in the near future.

Once again thanks all for the interest in the game ill keep ya's updated.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 01:07
impressive graphics, stuff I could only wish for.
I do hope the programming and gameplayer is as solid as the artwork. Certainly something I shall be following.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 01:20
Those graphics look very appetizing.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 01:22
I feel most reactions in the last part of this topic are a bit exaggerated: It is definitely not the most impressive game, however, visually, it gets pretty close to getting near the best games in the WIP section. Since we haven't seen any gameplay at all yet, I don't feel we can make a statement except that it looks dáaaaaaamn good.

Keep up the work!

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 02:22
Yep Ive already mentioned before the game is still in infant stages and gameplay is the one thing that makes and breaks games. I certainly know what makes a good game and can only hope I can translate that into playability. Im hoping to soon have something to show in the forms of questing as the engine is getting pretty close to what I want. So for now thanks again for all the comments.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 02:26 Edited at: 5th Sep 2007 02:36
Very impressive, like everyone else said, what kind of computer setup are you running it on?

Looking at video two you walked for ages.
Is it just a single AT stretched or have you figured out how to join them?

If you figure out how to burn your model shadows to the advance terrain let us know too please it's something I'd like to do too

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 04:47
@ Gatorhex

Hi there
Im running a 2 ghz processor with 2 gb ddr memory and a Geforce 7600 with 512 meg.
Thats a single AT terrain at the minute and video 2 was quite a small part of it. I will need other terrains added eventually but ill think of some way to disguise the join, mountain areas or something.
Ive tried out different methods for the terrain shadows, none of which I was overly happy about. If I come up with something decent ill let ya know

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Diablo 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quick question, how long exactly have you been working on this project? When can we expect to see a playable demo, cos this is looking awesome!!!

Self Destruction Computer Entertainment
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 18:05
This is awesome, i have already said that But i have some questions and suggestions.

suggestions:

The water looks really cool, but is it possible to make a reflection? and you are going to change the color from brown to something more water like? It looks dirty at the moment.

Second, some details wouldn't hurt, like more variation of rocks and trees.

Questions:

Are you making the cells in a map editor of some sort? or are you coding everything right in dark basic?

Does the music change depending of you destination in the game world?

Thank you / Nackidno

Footsteps W.I.P

[url=nackpro.se.nu]my website[/url] It's swe!
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
i like the graphics.. its been really long time seens last good quality rpg has created..

really good stuff you got there! keep it up.

Q: when does the playable demo will be out?

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 21:17
Thanks for the comments guys

@ Diablo 3D

Ulidia has been in production properly for just over a year.

@ Nakidno

I could easily add reflections to the water but the FPS suffers greatly when I do. I'll add the option to turn it on or off in the options.
The rocks, and more so the tree's will have a lot more variations in the final product. They are put in place at the minute so as its just a matter of changing the models when I get them made.
The models are made in a 3d package, mostly deled and then placed in the game with a small level editor I made myself.
I want the music to change depending on where you are in the world and what you're doing. I've saw recently playing the Lord of the Rings online how the music can really add good atmosphere.

@ Sergey K

As I am doing 95% of the work on the game myself it would be silly of me to put any sort of deadlines on what im doing. I really dont want to give out unrealistic dates that I may not keep to but hopefully Ill have something playable out at the start of the new year.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 17:31
I got another question :

*How many quests have you done?(If any)

*Am i going to follow this project?

Answer for question 2 : YES!

Footsteps W.I.P

[url=nackpro.se.nu]my website[/url] It's swe!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:00