Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Blastwave Saga(open source)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 05:32 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 20:11
UPDATE: July 25, 2007
Blastwave Saga Production

Finished:
-nothing (lol)

Working On:
-Ship Editor(re-coded, and re-designed for simplicity)

In Design:
-Level Editor in Design

Requests:
-since I'm none too good at modeling yet, if anyone wants to contribute ship body parts, that would be helpful. Since the project is open source, many people would benefit from it. I'm looking for Hull peices around 300 tris, and ship limb pieces around 150 tris. Don't need anything higher in triangles because the game's going to be fast paced, so no time to look over details.

Well, after much practice programing, I've decided to start on an actual project. I'm going back to my unfinished/disaster Nividia entry and going to build that into a proper game.

I've written up a nice little design document, not sure how those should be put together but I did my best. Design document is attached below. Then I've started on the Ship Editor, where you will build...ships, lol. You can check the design document for further information on the game.

I plan on updating this thread daily with my progress, since I have nothing better to do during the day. I also plan on making this open source, from beginning to end. This can be a learning experience to anyone including me. Suggestions, comments, and critiques will be much welcomed in the days to come. So don't hold back.

Screen shot of the Ship Editor so far:

(EDIT-lied about going to bed, lol)Testing object placement:

Source Code of the Ship Editor so far:

I'm going to call it a night, play some Eve and head to bed.

BWM!!

P.S. Wasn't sure if I should have posted this in WIP. As stated I do plan on updating this thread at the least once a day. As you could see from my past mini projects, I get the work done

Edit: Oh, and if your wondering why I'm declaring the ship arrays the way I am, it's because I'm setting all the variables up the way they will be in the main engine. For my own personal clarity reasons mostly.

Current Project: Blastwave Saga
Completion: 33% (give or take a percentage)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 01:43 Edited at: 26th Jun 2007 02:10
Worked on the editor for a few hours today, and got a nice working menu system going, with mouse click and all that goodies. Everything is expandable through arrays and types for ease of use, and adding of menu's later.

Screen Shot:

Source Code(EDIT: Had my views messed up...trial and error, lol!):

Plan on finishing up the menu system today, and get at least the 'new' 'load' and 'save' menus working. Shouldn't be too hard. Also plan on adding a automatic string length checker so you don't have to manually put in a INC number for the check, instead it will calculate it for you and you'll only have to plug in the xpos/ypos types from the buttons

Changed the Type Variables Declarations around as well...seems you can't save out Integers to file, as far as I could find, so I changed those to Floats. Also adding new type variables, model$, map$ so we know what model and texture to use for each limb. I plan on adding normal/displacement maps and Specular maps, which will be loaded automaticlly, if the exist, there names will be the map$ + "_n"+extension for the normal map and "_s"+extension for the specular maps.

If you confused about the ship build, the main ship will be a hidden plain, and all limbs will be orientated and position/rotated to it. Limb 1 will be considered the main cockpit, so if it's HP drops to zero or lower, the ship is destroyed. Other limbs, if destroyed will effect the ships speed / attack / defense. The nods variables you see are only for weapon and engine limbs, they deter main where the engine exhaust or weapon blast comes out of. The Output variable in the limb type deter mains either the damage or protection or speed increase the ship gets from the limb type(weapon, shield, engine limb types respectively)

Hope that explains more. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Now I'm off to take a break and play some Eve, later!

BWM

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 03:30
Looks like teh awesomeness. I might be able to hook you up with some ship pieces if you need.

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 03:41
Thanks, anyone can contribute whatever they want since the project is fully open source.

Another update coming later tonight. Building some planets ATM>

BWM

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 04:01
Blastwave man, I can recommend you Doga L2 for space ships. Look it up, will be worth your time, I promise. Some postwork on the models (poly reducing, mesh fixes and the like) would help after creating things, but the basic idea will really work in Doga.

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 04:36
Lol, funny thing is that I was using Doga in 1994 Back then it wasn't was flashy as it's become, heh. I have truespace, so I was planning on using that for modeling. I'm going to try out the latest build of Doga though, thanks for the suggestion.

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 20:18 Edited at: 27th Jun 2007 20:19
Update:
Due to extreme bugginess which I can't pinpoint, I'm re-coding the entire menu system. Make it more function based and everything auto created, instead of inputing variables. So, instead of a lunch code update, I'll be posting a final version later tonight, probably after dinner. Can't wait to start on the next aspects of the game.

BWM FTW!!

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 20:37
this looks good, i'd be happy to submit some ship pieces.
would it be okay to make a ship then divide it into usable pieces?
i'm guessing this is so that you can add different parts to each ship E.G: the crazy makes a body and i make a blaster that fits on the side - in the ship editor you could combine theese pieces with others to make your ship. is this correct?

thanks to deathead for the sig!
Projects: alien abductor-5%
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 01:07
Yah, basiclly you load limbs and build a ship out of them. Limb #1 is considered the main cockpit in-game. So it should look like it has a cockpit o nit Then you load other limbs and place them where you want on the main limb. Then you can specify what each limb is: hull piece / shield generator / engine / weapon 1 / weapon 2 / missile launcher. Then you set variables for those, and there you go, you have a ship.

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 07:12 Edited at: 30th Jun 2007 07:13
Finally a semi-update, lol. Took a small break from coding and started to learn some modeling, seeing I might be making a lot of models for what I want accomplished in the game. Downloaded many modelers, and I'm having a fun time with that.

Anyway, started to rework the menu code, and I was flabergasted when I finally figured out why it wasn't working. Text is such a weird thing in DBP. Anyway, buttons work now with menu open close states. Going to start on the New / Load / Save Routines next, considering there all basically the same.

Screen Shot:

Updated Code:

Off too coding a bit more then time for some sleep, I feel tired.

BWM

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 22:53 Edited at: 1st Jul 2007 03:45
Have the "New" and "Save" menu's and functions working, 0 bugs ...well, as far as I have seen.

Source Code:

Got some cool functions in here, I'll post in the code snippet boards in a bit.

Gonna take a nice hour or two break and play a game or something. Then it's off to creating a file function for loading limbs and maps, can't wait!

EDIT: Fixed a bug with the input function.

BWM!!!! YAHAA!! I'm so 1337...

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 00:48
Updated the save function so it only saves one file instead of 2, and it now saves out editor variables so you can load later on and edit the ships.

Current bugs:
-when creating a new ship, hitting the Grid X Length for the first time after starting up the editor will cause it to go to zero, instead of staying at the default number. No idea why it does that.
-Using odd numbers for Grid sizes will result the x/z grid to have one extra grid point layer. You'll still be limited to your grid size and it won't effect the ship's center point. So just ignore it for now, lol.

Source Code:

Started to work on some limb objects with textures and normal / spec maps. Anyone willing to donate some ships limbs would be much appreciated. I need at least a few types in order to test out my limb and map functions which I'm currently programing.

Will update later tonight.

Later, BWM

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 04:10
If anyone cares, heres and update, lol. It's been crazy the past couple days...I applied for a job and got it the next day, so I've been in training and haven't had a chance to work on BWS. So I'm devoting the night to working and I'm going to get some nice ship limbs done and posted so people can try out the limb and map commands, which are pretty cool

BWM

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay Blast Nice I can see your work just flashing at me like someone taking pictures of it! It looks great!

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 05:15
Getting a job equals less time to work, lol.

So update! Sorta, lol. I've been running tests using real world spacial physics in a small environment with several created ships. The results were pretty good, but it's when I started to increase numbers that everything started to slow down...very much so. I think I've gone a little overboard on the detail of the ships. So I'm redesigning the ship builds, and am building a new editor. I still want to feature real world space physics, but now ships will have single stats instead of several stats for each limb.

I've got most of the new editor coded, and hope to get it done either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how long I can stay awake, lol.

I have a job at an ice cream parlor, and it's awesome

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
mmmm Ice Cream. LOL
Nice man can't wait for more.

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 20:11
After much revision of the old code, I've now come up with the new base for the editors. Everything has been converted too functions and after the ships editor is done, I can easily import the functions into the level editor.

Screen shot(yes, i know it looks like almost every screen shot i've posted...just want to show what the code does when you run it):

Code:

Will finish this tonight, and start on the level editor. Got some neat ships built and will be showing those off later as well.

later

Current Project: Blastwave Saga
Completion: 33% (give or take a percentage)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:34:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:34:31