Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Firefly/Serenity Space RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 18:30
A Space RPG based in the world of Firefly/Serenity

I started this by just trying to program a decent momentum system for a spaceship, where by you set a target speed and it takes some time to reach that, and the acceleration slows down as you get closer. The tonnage and cargo of the ship is also taken into account, as well as the engine power.
However it is now developing into an actual game and turning out quite nice. This is gunna be a long term thing, but I thought I would post here to get feedback on what I've done so far, and also to keep me motivated to complete it.

Screenshots
25th June 07

Concepts
Initially you pilot a smallish transport vessel with a handful of crew (who will each have stats, roles, skills and so forth) and like other space rpgs your aim is to make money, get a larger ship and make more money.
There will be other independants, rogue pirate vessels, the government battleships, Blue Sun (a strange secret (government?) organisation) and the cannibalistic reavers.
There are also 5 Rim sectors on the outskirts of the 'Verse, and the Core and Border sectors at the centre where the government is strongest.
You travel between these with jobs given to you by other NPC characters, or just for the fun of it. You could go on a one ship mission against the oppressive government, or just hang out in the black picking off random trade vessels.
There will be a story line, but it will be optional to follow or not.

Progress
- Done
- Working on
- Not Started

- Player Ship Movement (178 lines by itself)
- Forward Scanning Collision Warning System (screen flashes red if you are about to hit something)
- HUD
- Radar (code done, just need more graphics as I create more ships/planets/stations)
- NPC Ship Movement
- Planetary Movement
- Inter-Sector Movement
- Docking at Planets/Stations

That list will obviously get longer, but I have only put up what I have begun coding/designing/planning.

So yeah, any comments/tips/advice, positive or negative, would be much appreciate.

Currently working on an un-named 2D Space RPG based on the Firefly/Serenity universe
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, looks nice, i'm a firefly fan and i loved the movie so i'm excited to see more of this

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 18:33
cheers dude, yeh I loved the series and movie too. I hope I can get this to work, I wanna play it

Currently working on an un-named 2D Space RPG based on the Firefly/Serenity universe
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 21:03
My favorite series of all time Great movie as well. Can't wait to see how you implement all the aspects of the Firefly universe.

BWM

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 21:47
That nebula reminds me of Starwraith. Good work.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 23:04
Question: have you used SET OBJECT LIGHT x,0? It will make that background much better.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 23:04
YES! i love the series and the movie! good luck, and if i may help you with some models or 2d stuff... just ask, i will look up for some free time, cause i really love it.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 02:10
Whoa, using a background like that (Could be the orion nebula with overlaid stars?) with a planet like that looks completely random, lol. Get yourself some good planets, will definitely add some polish and style to the game.

Sounds interesting.

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 02:38
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret: Umm, no I havent yet. Never heard of that command either, what would it do with a 2D sprite?

Green7:Brilliant, if you do want to help, I need sprites for various different ship classes. I currently have 3:
- Firefly (Light Transport)
- Dragonfly (Medium Transport)
- Hornet (Fast Courier)
as many different classes as possible would be nice, but somewhere in the region of 20 is what I'm looking for. The images I have for the 3 so far are all nabbed from the internet (tut-tut eh?).
Two are here, and the Firefly is here.

I would only need 1 top down view of each sprite, and I can add on the engine effects and animations from there.
I will most likely make this open source as well at some point, so any community input whether specifically asked for or not would be greatly appreciated.

tha_rami: it is indeed the orion nebula, it is mostly a placeholder at the moment, since a plain black background was boring me.
the planet is also a work in progress, im trying various effects and what nots to create realistic but varied planets, but it is certainly far from completion. There is in total 44 planets that I need to make, all unique, so it may take some time.

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 04:11
Are you basing this off the Serenity RP game?

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 12:58
Hehe, if you've got Photoshop, check out a plugin called LunarCell. Although it's not really perfect or something, it'll work quite well if you quickly need lots of planets. You get a 30 day trial for free from Flaming Pear software, or whatever it's called.

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 16:06
Blastwave: I'm using the map from there, and no doubt I will use many of its other ideas as well.

tah_rami: I use Fireworks, but I found a great tutorial for doing it (although in Photoshop, but its transferable according to one dude), but cheers anyway.

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
looks nice

Sry for mybad english
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 17:25 Edited at: 26th Jun 2007 17:55
ok, here is another attempt at a planet:

i doubt i will be able to do any programming work today as im rather ill, which sucks

edit: oh, found a planet creator thingy for gimp, sounds good to me

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 20:27
i can try so, but had a request for some artworks from Cash Curtis II, which i saw before your request. so i try to manage both, but i got not that much free time atm. i need more informations about the tipes of ships you need, what size you need them, sample pics, inspirations...
do you need animated ones?

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 21:06 Edited at: 26th Jun 2007 21:29
cool planet, only critique I have is the atmosphere shouldn't be so bright where there is shadow. Probably shouldn't see it at all, have it fade from where the light hits the planet to shadow.

heres an example of what I mean( i did this in about 5mins, so don't mind the quality, lol):

I need to make planets like this as well for my project, because I plan on using billboards for planets in the distance.

BWM

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 23:18 Edited at: 26th Jun 2007 23:19
Green7: Dont worry if you dont have time, I don't need more than 3 ships at the moment anyway, as I am still working on the basic gameplay. The animations are just for mouse-over and engine flares etc, I can do those myself.

Blastwave Man: Nice looking planet there, the GIMP extension I got is working quite well, and quickly, so I'll use this.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 23:35
You need some AA on those edges.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 00:54 Edited at: 27th Jun 2007 00:55
I used PSP to build mine, and all I did was create a Vector Sphere for the selection, and then created a texture layer, then a overlay layer for detail. Then took the selection and made it into two layers, inner and outer atmosphere. Then I made a shadow and light layer for making it look like a sphere.

I might do a few more of these if you want them, there fun to do

What kind of control do you have with the GIMP plugin? Can you set the texture, type, star position? J/W Only thing is see that is very distracting and ugly is the large atmosphere glow. I think it's a little too big.

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 01:07 Edited at: 27th Jun 2007 01:09
if you want to do more, please do.

here is the map of the universe

take Shinon (in the core) to be 800x800 pixels, and the rest roughly scaled off of that. If you do any, do tell me which one it is from that map, and I'll make sure to credit you anyone else who contributes.

edit: oh and make sure you have a transparent background

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 01:29 Edited at: 27th Jun 2007 01:32
Heres a new planet I just built. Spent about 20-25 mins on it. Gave it some nice details and much need light. Also fixed the way I setup the alpha map.

.png is attached, has alpha map, so just setting it to a sprite will work.

I made this one for kicks, I posted before I saw your post with the solar map. So I'll look through it and make some for fun.

BWM

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 01:52
fantastic one BWM, cheers a lot. I can get back onto programming now

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 03:21
About those planets, as a space-art creator, I might point out cresents should never extend over half of the planet, and atmospheric glow shouldn't neither. Also, atmosphere extends out of the planets body if available, instead of an inner glow.

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 03:28
hey rami, can you elaborate a little, maybe take my pic and circle the parts you mean. I'm not 100% sure what your talking about. Thanks.

I was basing the lighting and shadows off of what I've learned from art school and the such. Mostly from spherical like objects and how light effects them. We never really studied planet details, lol.

BWM

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 03:42
I think he means the shadow curve needs to be less accentuated (sp?) like in:

I do need at least half the planet visible as well, else it will just be a load of black blobs.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 03:57
Basically, if you've got a cresent (so, the shadow curve moves the same direction as the visible part of the planets outer edge), it cannot pass PAST the middle of the planet. Cresents can't go past half of the planet.

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 04:09
The Rami is correct supposing there is only 1 main light source or the cause of the crescent isn't from an eclipse. I would suggest you shorten the crescent a bit, it will look more realistic.

The images look very nice so far.

Visit the Wip!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 03:20
Why do people keep calling me THE Rami. It's Tha! Tha I'm telling you.

Don't ask me why.

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 07:37
sorry, been busy working on my own project. when I get the first editor done, I will make some more planets for yah, with proper lighting, heh.

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 12:26 Edited at: 29th Jun 2007 16:06
yeh bwm, do your own stuff first, but cheers.

I'm now planning out interactions between ships and planets, i.e. radio communications, and landing on planets. Maybe get an update tomorrow I hope.

edit: turns out im gunna be completely busy until monday, so i will continue then

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 01:05
Has anybody played this game?
It's very similar to what I imagine this is going to be like

Diablo 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn! This is so similar to a Space RPG I'm working on! It's unreal how similar it is! /Bookmark!

It's looking good though, I'll keep watch of this one!

Keep up the good work, and good luck with the project!

Self Destruction Computer Entertainment
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 14:37
Well I've been busier than I thought, so maybe update today, who knows.

Diablo, cool, perhaps we could collaborate?

Diablo 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Aye, could do! Mine's a 3D one though, like EVE Online (I do plan on getting this beast online at some point), really I've only been working on mine since the weekend! Still trying to tweak the controls to get them right. They work well, but it takes a lot of getting used to... :S However, yours looks mint!

Self Destruction Computer Entertainment
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 20:46
Here's another planet too

If you like it I have a higher res(2048^2) version, plus I have it all layered out with an alpha channel.

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 14:28
diablo: Yeah I was thinking about doing 3D but I got fed up on my last project with numerous amounts of 3D vector maths. Good luck with that then.

dark coder: wow, nice looking planet, yeh a .png or similar with alpha channels would be brill.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 03:13
What the are those black lines on the planet? It looks like some sort of... sand texture... I see footprints, lol.

But I must admit, it looks pretty nice. I'd size it down to hide those things, though, lol.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 08:46
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1941/fire1final1024alphapw5.png

They are called geological features for you unimaginative bunch, and they were placed there by hand and I did not base the texture on a photo, it's all created by myself. Have you no imagination? the scars could be due to asteroids, and the 'footprints' could be the borg ripping up cities, who knows.

Just look at the surface of Europa http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/Bil301/image/europa.jpg, it seems I should have added more scars if anything, but this is a planet so we shall assume some burned up.

Blue Rogue
Years of Service
User Offline
wow! I love firefly / serentiy and cant wait to play this game. I cant wait to see your ingame take on the reavers. Have you had any ideas on them yet? it'd be cool to maybe allow the player to devolve into a reaver to play from the bad side for once.

keep up the good work!
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 15:33
Yeh I will probably make it possible to become a reaver

Sorry I havent updated in so long, I've been job hunting and working on other peoples websites, but I will get back on this soon, hopefully next week

Blue Rogue
Years of Service
User Offline
i just think it'd be cool

well hope the job hunting is going well!! and am really looking forward to a demo!
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 17:23
Wow, I'm very impressed by this game. Graphics are amazing, and the game play will be just the same, seeing what you've got planned.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:32:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:32:36